HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Help! Any customization ideas? LEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 07:27 PM
Lexziss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Any customization ideas? LEDs?

I am looking for ideas. I really want to get my headlights replaced to LEDs/HIDs and I also want the LED strip like the new Lexus models but I am not sure about the process? I don't know what to get? Should I take my car to a Lexus dealer? How much would it cost vs doing it by myself?

I want to get the headlights replaced. If i do that, i would have to replace light over the rear license plate as well. I was also thinking of getting the lights under the side mirrors replaced as well? What about the reverse lights?
What do you think?

Post pictures of your customization. I would love to see them
Old 11-10-13, 11:04 AM
magnusk9
Driver School Candidate

Default Rim

I have a set of 20's on mine. (for sale too)

Mine has tinted windows, double din dvd head unit and remote start email me magnuskgc@ yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails Help! Any customization ideas? LEDs?-wheel.jpg  
Old 11-10-13, 11:59 AM
Lexziss
Driver School Candidate

Do you have pictures with those wheels on? They look sick.
Old 11-10-13, 01:14 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexziss
I am looking for ideas. I really want to get my headlights replaced to LEDs/HIDs and I also want the LED strip like the new Lexus models but I am not sure about the process? I don't know what to get? Should I take my car to a Lexus dealer? How much would it cost vs doing it by myself?

I want to get the headlights replaced. If i do that, i would have to replace light over the rear license plate as well. I was also thinking of getting the lights under the side mirrors replaced as well? What about the reverse lights?
What do you think?

Post pictures of your customization. I would love to see them
It would be virtually impossible to replace the headlights with LED's as they are articulating and tied into the car with a different wiring harness from the factory. And even then, I heard that a replacement LED headlamp assembly from the factory is well above $2,000 per side.

You could, of course, replace the factory bulbs in your headlights now with LED bulbs, but the technology is not that far advanced enough to offer a direct replacement bulb for your original factory bulb, which I think is a 9005?

The factory LED headlamps are a high-tech setup like no other, and are the finest headlights I've ever had on ANY car I've ever owned.

I will soon be totally LED. I just ordered the LED turn signal flasher and I am trying to figure out which bulbs to buy to convert the front and rear turns to LED. It's tough. Too many choices and some are real bad. A good one will rum me near $25 per bulb plus the flasher.

The LED replacement for the welcome lamps in the outside mirrors has been a challenge also. There is hardly any room there for anything bigger than the original 194 bulb, and any LED that will fit doesn't put out any sort of usable light. I've tried a few with no luck and the original bulb is still the brightest. Only from Yahoo Japan have I found the LED bulb made especially for those mirrors. They are big money.

Good news though!! I just found a place that sells a bulb that I think will work. They are new and just came on the market. They have been on back-order for a while now, and if they work, I'll do a write-up on the replacement and how they work. Check back.

If you search the forum, you might find other "how to's" on bulb replacements, and for your headlights, there are some real good HID's out there and some bad ones too. Shop wisely.
Old 11-10-13, 01:34 PM
Lexziss
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dave,

What do you mean by that the headlights are impossible to replace? I am really new to all this automotive stuff so I am really bad at explaining it. What I wanted to say was I want to replace the color of headlight. So like right now its a yellowish white. I want the Xenon colored ones. Are those LED or HID? how would I do so?
LOL.. sorry for my stupid explanation and questions.

Would it be possible if I could see your current setup?
Thanks!
Old 11-12-13, 05:24 PM
ppercoskie
Driver School Candidate

Any recommendation for good HID's. I just bought a HS250H not even 2 weeks ago and it has the stock halogen in it also any good recommendation for led interior lights. I also plan on taking the car back to lexus to have them shut off the ding when the car is in reverse and activate the unlock button so the windows and sunroof open when you hold the button down for over 3 seconds. This time of year in florida nice to have everything open
Old 11-13-13, 07:54 AM
Lexziss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ppercoskie
Any recommendation for good HID's. I just bought a HS250H not even 2 weeks ago and it has the stock halogen in it also any good recommendation for led interior lights. I also plan on taking the car back to lexus to have them shut off the ding when the car is in reverse and activate the unlock button so the windows and sunroof open when you hold the button down for over 3 seconds. This time of year in florida nice to have everything open
Brand new? Mine came up to approximately $59,000 when I bought it brand new in 2009. LOL.. Do they charge you to activate the unlock button? LOL its snowing here in Canada so I won't be using the sunroof or the windows.
Old 11-13-13, 03:45 PM
ppercoskie
Driver School Candidate

No not new mine is a 2010 and my lexus dealer will activate the unlock feature free
Old 11-13-13, 10:27 PM
TonyHS
Driver

Hi Dave,

What do you mean by that the headlights are impossible to replace? I am really new to all this automotive stuff so I am really bad at explaining it. What I wanted to say was I want to replace the color of headlight. So like right now its a yellowish white. I want the Xenon colored ones. Are those LED or HID? how would I do so?
LOL.. sorry for my stupid explanation and questions.

Would it be possible if I could see your current setup?
Thanks!
He means that the Factory LED package would not be easy to retrofit. They are self leveling and move with the steering wheel. There are also 2 light sources on each side, so when you are close it looks like you have 4 lights on. You might be able to replace the halogen setup with some HID's.... If you want to see the LED lights, you can look at my garage pics. I also have the LED package.

I'll also try to include the pic here...

Old 11-15-13, 09:22 AM
magnusk9
Driver School Candidate

Default wheels

Do you have pictures with those wheels on? They look sick.
Not at the moment
Old 11-18-13, 06:04 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyHS
He means that the Factory LED package would not be easy to retrofit. They are self leveling and move with the steering wheel. There are also 2 light sources on each side, so when you are close it looks like you have 4 lights on. You might be able to replace the halogen setup with some HID's.... If you want to see the LED lights, you can look at my garage pics. I also have the LED package.

Thanks for the explanation. That's pretty much what I meant.

Now, as for what you have circled in red in the picture, your parking light.

Here's what I did. I added an LED. It's the first one I tried and because of the cost of these darn bulbs, I didn't try any others to see what they looked like. It works great, and gets rid of that yellowish original bulb color, but I wonder what some of the new style bulbs would look like.

You can see in the second picture, a whiter, brighter light. It looks pretty good when I turn off the daylight running lights and run with parking lights alone.

Another point I what to bring up is the LED equipped cars have head light washers wired into the system. You can see the little square cover on the front bumper. Just another reason it would be impossible to add LED headlamps to a non-equipped car.
Attached Thumbnails Help! Any customization ideas? LEDs?-dsc02995-medium-.jpg   Help! Any customization ideas? LEDs?-dsc02993-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-21-13, 05:55 AM
TonyHS
Driver

This is a old pic and the parking lamp was circled for a led change conversation, lol. That looks nice Dave, I think I'll need to make the change once I get the car back.
Old 11-22-13, 07:03 AM
Lexziss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TonyHS

See the thing is, mine is the Premium package so it didn't come with the self-leveling and moving option. No idea why...and the color of my headlights are yellow. I'll try to upload a picture tonight to show you what I'm talking about!
Old 11-23-13, 06:37 PM
TonyHS
Driver

Premium package comes with the regular halogen lights. Which are not self leveling and not steering controlled. LED was a separate upgrade on it's own.
Old 11-24-13, 02:32 PM
Lexziss
Driver School Candidate

Here are the pics...
Attached Thumbnails Help! Any customization ideas? LEDs?-20131123_173750.jpg   Help! Any customization ideas? LEDs?-20131123_173804.jpg   Help! Any customization ideas? LEDs?-20131123_173814.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help! Any customization ideas? LEDs?