Print Wikipost

RSR Lowering Springs Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 08:43 AM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSR Lowering Springs Installed

Thanks to everybody that helped get this ball rolling (RSR USA, VIP Auto Salon, TheAirMan & BluePrint).

My friend and I installed the springs last night without knowing too much about what specifically was involved on the HS. I would say that accessing the front upper strut mounts were possibly the most time consuming part of the whole ordeal as you have to remove the wipers, plastics and are supposed to remove a lot more. We opted to loosen a few bolts on the metal tray that sits above the strut mounts as it would have been a lot more steps to get that entirely removed. We then got a ratcheting wrench on the nuts and were able to remove them/re-install them.

Front springs were then pretty straight forward. The rears were pretty straight forward as well other than figuring out what some of the owner's manual meant by part names. Originally figured we'd have to access the upper shock mount in the rear, but you don't, so you don't need to even go into the trunk. Got it sorted and finished installation within a few hours.

Here are a few pictures:

Front spring comparison:

Rear spring comparison:

Some shots still on OEM wheels which will be replaced within the next couple weeks:

The springs seem to ride slightly stiffer than stock, but not overly noticable. The girlfriend test will be the real indicator. I expect it will settle a bit more and am happy with the drop.

I will get many more pictures once the wheels are here to show height better. Can post some before photos of the car if anyone wants to compare.
Old 04-16-13, 06:35 PM
Hollywood6
Driver School Candidate

Can you post more pictures in better lighting to show the wheel gap?
Looks great!
Old 04-17-13, 12:13 AM
bimmer16
Driver School Candidate

Default I like it!

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
Thanks to everybody that helped get this ball rolling (RSR USA, VIP Auto Salon, TheAirMan & BluePrint).

My friend and I installed the springs last night without knowing too much about what specifically was involved on the HS. I would say that accessing the front upper strut mounts were possibly the most time consuming part of the whole ordeal as you have to remove the wipers, plastics and are supposed to remove a lot more. We opted to loosen a few bolts on the metal tray that sits above the strut mounts as it would have been a lot more steps to get that entirely removed. We then got a ratcheting wrench on the nuts and were able to remove them/re-install them.

Front springs were then pretty straight forward. The rears were pretty straight forward as well other than figuring out what some of the owner's manual meant by part names. Originally figured we'd have to access the upper shock mount in the rear, but you don't, so you don't need to even go into the trunk. Got it sorted and finished installation within a few hours.

Here are a few pictures:

Front spring comparison:

Rear spring comparison:

Some shots still on OEM wheels which will be replaced within the next couple weeks:

The springs seem to ride slightly stiffer than stock, but not overly noticable. The girlfriend test will be the real indicator. I expect it will settle a bit more and am happy with the drop.

I will get many more pictures once the wheels are here to show height better. Can post some before photos of the car if anyone wants to compare.

Looks good!! I would love to know your thoughts after riding it for at least a good month or two.

Also, are you planning to get rid of your wheels?
Old 04-17-13, 08:16 AM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Here's a picture I took near sundown last night after seeing your post which hopefully helps a bit more:

For comparison, here was the car before:

I will likely keep my OEM wheels as I tend to not keep cars for long periods of time and don't want to have to find a set or only be able to sell to one looking for aftermarket wheels.
Old 04-17-13, 06:58 PM
LexFather

Wow looks tons better congrats! Still undecided to slap it on a family members HS 250h.... sadly no Vossen fitments for the 5x100
Old 04-17-13, 07:32 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice drop!
Old 04-17-13, 07:59 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Thanks...the HS is 5x114.3 by the way.
Old 04-17-13, 08:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
Thanks...the HS is 5x114.3 by the way.
I am stunned I have gotten this wrong for 3 years. Looks like someone is getting springs and wheels

I CANNOT believe I got that wrong. Wow. Seems 19x8.5 +45 works with no issues, 225/40/19.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-17-13 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-17-13, 08:43 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

I ordered 19x8.5 +35 with the same tire size. Have a set of 5mm spacers in case I need them.
Old 04-18-13, 06:48 AM
Hollywood6
Driver School Candidate

I love the look RoJa! I love my car, I'm just sick of the 4X4 look of the ride height. I can't wait for my Teins to arrive.
Thanks for the pictures!
Old 04-18-13, 08:03 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks really good sitting lower! Glad to see someone modifying one of these, they seem rare enough on the road, let alone modified ones! Looking forward to seeing the drop paired with 19's!

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I am stunned I have gotten this wrong for 3 years. Looks like someone is getting springs and wheels
Sounds like Mama Blueprint will be rolling in style soon!
Old 04-18-13, 10:41 AM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

You had me worried last night when you posted the 5x100 comment.

I think I may be the first USDM HS250h lowered without cutting springs. Not sure what VIP did on their past cars, but know at least some of them were cut springs.

Anyone that knows me will tell you I can't keep anything stock.
Old 04-18-13, 04:57 PM
TonyHS
Driver

Looks good, cant wait to see your 19's on there!
Old 05-15-13, 09:53 AM
VAISF
Driver School Candidate

How hard was it to get ahold of the RSR springs? How much? Wait time? And would happen to have a contact number? Thank in advance.
Old 06-30-13, 08:44 PM
LexFather

Contact VIP auto salon... We talk to rar all the time