HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Average Repair Costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 09:01 PM
Mellowmar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average Repair Costs

Hello! I'm considering buying a used HS250h but am curious what the average repair and maintenance costs are. I just sold an Audi and despised taking it in for service because it always cost me a grand or more. How much do Lexus repairs average? At the dealership or at a local shop? Or, can you compare the repair costs to another brand of car? I understand that repair cost differ greatly between regions and the shop you take it to so I'm just looking for some generalities. Thanks!!
Old 04-09-13, 09:47 PM
TonyHS
Driver

You might not see too much action in this thread as the car is only 3 years old. Most of them are still under warrenty. I'm expecting the car will not need much repair, my last hybrid a Toyota prius I think had a total repair bill of around $60 total I think, I had to replace a water pump. I took the car in for several recal items which was all free. I owned that car a little over 6 years, and put almost 100k miles on the car, I believe most the warrenty expired at 36k miles, with exception of the hybrid system. I went through 2 sets of tires, and about 10 oil changes, 2 sets of headlight bulbs, and 2 sets of tail light bulbs ( I think there was something the car did to have such a short life on the bulbs, I often saw other prius with the passernger headlight and drivers side tail light out.. I did the oil changes myself, and I cant remember what I spent for tires, but tire replacement cost was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of cost. When I did not have the time to do maintaince I think the oil change costed me about $10, I supplied my own oil as I used Mobil One. Never needed battery, brakes, starter (there is'nt one), or alternator. I probably should have done some additional fluid changes of the other fluids, which I am planning to do more with this car.

I would be suprised if this needs a lot of repair. The general maintaince items are oil changes, air filters, tire rotations and tires. I'm not sure how much they will cost at the dealer, I do most of my maintaince myself. Any compentent shop should be able to work on the car for you, I dont think repair costs are out of line compared to other japanese cars. If you want an independent, find a garage that specializes in Toyota, and see if they have the techstream software, they will need that to do some of the maintaince.

Last edited by TonyHS; 04-10-13 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-10-13, 12:34 PM
Mellowmar
Driver School Candidate

Much thanks, TonyHS!
Old 04-10-13, 09:24 PM
Hollywood6
Driver School Candidate

I just traded in my 2009 S4 and had the same complaint. The cost of service and repairs made me not want to even drive my car.
Here are some dollar signs for you-

WalMart 0W20 5 quart oil- $25
Oil filter- $4
Toyota dealer oil change- $40 for 0W20 Lexus dealer $70
Brake pads- $20 front, $15 rear for Centric premium ceramic
Brake rotors- $50 front, $40 rear (pair)
Stock tires- $275 ea, Michelin Primacy MXMV4 $600 for 4

Unlike Audi, you don't have to worry about barely adequate transmissions, differential fluid changes, and parts that cost 3 times the VW equivalent.
Plus 35mpg is pretty nice.
Old 04-14-13, 07:20 AM
Mellowmar
Driver School Candidate

Not bad, Hollywood6. I'm liking this car even better!! I think a test drive is in my near future. Take care!
Old 04-14-13, 12:32 PM
minimize10
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Mellowmar
Not bad, Hollywood6. I'm liking this car even better!! I think a test drive is in my near future. Take care!
.Do take a test drive and shop around. I just bought a 2010 250h Premium- Starfire Pearl and cannot say one bad thing about.It.Luxury at its best for a smaller Lexus.It's not getting the Prius or similiar mpg but it certainly has the "amenities" to make up for it.I traded in a Mini Cooper S (BMW) which was in the shop more than I could enjoy it....Go Lexus and your pocket will thank you for it.I'm averaging about 38-39 mpg around town which is pretty good on the wallet.Also the fact you can use reg gas.My Mini needed premium ..I also purchased an extended Lexus warranty thru Lexus, 7yrs 100,00 mi bumper-bumper at Putnam Lexus in Ca.much much cheaper than my local Maryland dealership for the same coverage like $500 dollars cheaper.I absolutely love this car
Old 04-15-13, 05:27 AM
Mellowmar
Driver School Candidate

Minimize10, the Cooper was also on my short list but after reading the terrible reviews of it and talking to a few mechanics it quickly dropped off. I'll have to do some shopping around for a cheaper extended warranty. The car that I'm looking at has 56,000 miles on, just over the 4yr/50,000 I have yet to see a 250h on the road but I've been looking. I love to have a car that gets looked at Does anyone have concerns that this car isn't made anymore? Are there any parts that are specific to this car that would be hard to find down the road?
Old 04-15-13, 06:08 AM
skywise
Rookie

Alot of the parts of an HS are from other Toyota vehicles and even if not (body parts), the HS is still active in Japan so parts will be made for quite a few years yet. (isn't the rule 7 years after they stop selling the vehicle?)

I have no worries over parts availability.
Old 04-15-13, 02:30 PM
TonyHS
Driver

Originally Posted by Mellowmar
Minimize10, the Cooper was also on my short list but after reading the terrible reviews of it and talking to a few mechanics it quickly dropped off. I'll have to do some shopping around for a cheaper extended warranty. The car that I'm looking at has 56,000 miles on, just over the 4yr/50,000 I have yet to see a 250h on the road but I've been looking. I love to have a car that gets looked at Does anyone have concerns that this car isn't made anymore? Are there any parts that are specific to this car that would be hard to find down the road?
It may be a challange for you to see them on the road, I think there were only about 15k of them in the north america, and I think that includes Canada. Are you buying from a lexus dealer? If so you can get the CPO, which gives you 3 years and up to 100k warrenty. If not you may want to call a Lexus dealer to see if you can get the car certified and the cost. I think it was an option when I was looking into finding mine.

Im not sure how the prices are where you are, you might want to consider buying and having one shipped to you, or come down to southern ca to buy one, as there are lots around here. I'm not too concerned about it being out of production. Parts should be pretty easy to order from the factory for a while, and once that's done then they should not be too hard to get from salvage yards. Since there were never that many made, there probably wont be many people competing for parts...
Old 04-15-13, 06:56 PM
minimize10
Driver School Candidate

I was.never that concerned when I purchased the vehicle.I was told by both Lexus/Toyota that they share a lot of parts with both the Camry hybrid and Prius and the like...What I like about its looks of which I have been told that "that's a Sharp looking car" especially the white with the premium wheels makes it stand out from the crowd Yes their hard to find on the east coast. but that makes them all the more valuable to the hybrid market down the road imo.It's a solid piece of machinery for sure,and as I said earlier you've got all the bells and whistles and gas saving machine in a neat package with the Lexus name.Mine is a gem to drive and definately gets the looks.Imo go for the Premium.It is in a class by itself.Hope you can find one for a test drive and you will be a believer too....Good luck and keep us posted on your find....