HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. Yokohama AVID ENVigor

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 10:45 AM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. Yokohama AVID ENVigor

I'm looking at tires and was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these two. The Yokohamas reference being ultra low rolling resistance and the DWS says "Reduced distortion for enhanced energy delivery, lower rolling resistance and improved treadlife."

Reviews for the Yokohamas say they have bad snow grip (could careless, I'm in Vegas) and that they wear quickly. The DWS has great reviews.

The DWS is also about $20 per tire cheaper.
Old 03-08-13, 03:12 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Yokohama AVID ENVigors on my RAV4 before trading up to the Lexus. Put about 15,000 miles on them and they still had about 75% of the tread left when traded in. I bought them because they are very low noise and they were terrific in the rain. I have no experience with them as far as rolling resistance is concerned.
Old 03-08-13, 08:11 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the DWS, maybe 15,000 miles now. My mpg dropped 2-3 mpg from the stock Toyo's, and they are a little noisier. But the wet handling is much better. Haven't really had any snow to drive in, so can't comment on that. Seem to have plenty of tread left - should last me at least 30k. I might try the MXM4's next, though they cost more.
Old 03-09-13, 06:15 PM
dedas1
Rookie

I have been researching new tires but haven't needed them as yet. Still have the stock Toyo but not very satisfied, but the investment for new tires can be as much as $160 each tire. Consumer report this month, April, has a short blurp on tires. It pretty much mirrored my impression on researching the 225/45/18 size tires. Michelin MXM4 Primacy seemed to beat out all the others in the class for all season grip, quietness and handling, at least that is what you find online. Look at Discount Tires and Tire Rack for the best prices and reviews.
Let us know what you settle on and how the ride feels. I am interested in new tires just for the quietness. I was disappointed in how loud the cabin was for a Lexus and likely due to the low profile Toyos. See the other tread on tires too.

Last edited by dedas1; 03-09-13 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-09-13, 08:44 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

I am going to buy aftermarket wheels so I'm looking at larger tires. Will have the car sorted within two months hopefully. Ordered springs, ordering wheels this week and tires will be ordered when there's a special on them or when the other parts come in, whichever is first.

I'll update on my thoughts once I have everything on the car.

Ryan
Old 03-11-13, 05:29 AM
yoyo2
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dedas1
I have been researching new tires but haven't needed them as yet. Still have the stock Toyo but not very satisfied, but the investment for new tires can be as much as $160 each tire. Consumer report this month, April, has a short blurp on tires. It pretty much mirrored my impression on researching the 225/45/18 size tires. Michelin MXM4 Primacy seemed to beat out all the others in the class for all season grip, quietness and handling, at least that is what you find online. Look at Discount Tires and Tire Rack for the best prices and reviews.
Let us know what you settle on and how the ride feels. I am interested in new tires just for the quietness. I was disappointed in how loud the cabin was for a Lexus and likely due to the low profile Toyos. See the other tread on tires too.
dedas1 did you get your MXM4 Primacy? Any comments?
Old 03-11-13, 12:19 PM
jbripps
Rookie

I have had the Primacy MXM4's for about 2500 miles. THEY ARE FANTASTIC!! Great handling in dry, no issues in rain, and very very solid in snow. I've driven 3 - 4 days in snow, up to 4 inches, no major issues. Very stable tire and a great bang for the buck. WILL DEF. RECOMMEND THEM. They are quiet too.