Resurface Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 01:28 PM
babbles
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resurface Rotors

Hello all,

Took my HS to Toyota for a brake check because I am over an hour from a lexus dealer and service said the brakes themselves looked good but recommended resurfacing of the rotors. Totyota charges $120 per axle where Midas charges $110 for all, is it better to only let Lexus or Toyota complete this? I bought this vehicle used only 2 weeks ago with 29k miles and I am looking to take care of anything that needs addressing immediately. The vehicle to my surprise had a 30k mile service done about 300 miles ago. I was thinking I needed tires asap but Toyota said I didn't need them right now but showed me tires in the $850- $1000 range. My friend recommended that when i need brakes to let Lexus do that. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-28-13, 05:09 PM
TonyHS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they provide any reason that you needed to resurface the rotors? Unless the previous owner was really hard on the brakes I wound not imagine the car needing any brake work for a long time. I went almost 100k miles on my prius and the brakes were barely used. Are you feeling any vibrations or wigleing of the wheel when you are stopping? Since the HS 250h is steering by wheel, I'm not sure if you would feel the warped rotors through the steering wheel, I believe the brakes are still a mechanical connection, so you should feel pulseating if the rotors are warped. Your brakes should have been inspected at the 30K, and the changeing of the fluid should have had the tech next to the rotors. Most of the time you'd probably be using regen braking.

Tires sound about right at the dealer, you might be able to get a better price if you have a costco near you, or bring it to any other major tire vender.
Old 02-28-13, 05:18 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd be shocked if you'd need rotors at 30k miles, especially on a hybrid. Regenerative braking gives you really long life out of the pads / rotors.
Old 02-28-13, 05:42 PM
babbles
Pit Crew

Default Brakes

Toyota tech said there were pits in the rotors that could lead to rust and corrosion if that sounds right.
Old 02-28-13, 05:45 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm cynical, but it sounds like revenue generating to me. I'd take the wait and see approach but I'm a gambler.
Old 02-28-13, 07:38 PM
ceads9
Driver

IF you need them done anyone can do it. Very basic the human does very little other than putting them on the lathe. Any machine shop can do it. Usually it's done due to a warped rotor . Sounds like somebody wants some of your money. Not saying it doesn't need done BUT usually NO . A local auto zone will do them for 10-15 each . Of course you take them off which is easy. You can buy new rotors for that price. I spent around 80 for my infiniti and put them on myself. Im guessing its the front breaks ? PS don't get the toyos from lexus read the other forums about tires. Good luck
Old 02-28-13, 07:46 PM
ceads9
Driver

Would like to add about rust he isn't telling the whole story . You won't get rust other a slight surface rust which happens ever time you wash your car in the summer and they turn orange to much pressure going on to let that happen . . Of course if you have the money you can do it but that can be said for a lot of things . Actually if you don't change your oil you won't be the one who runs into the problem it's the next. Good luck
Old 02-28-13, 08:05 PM
babbles
Pit Crew

Default Resurface

Originally Posted by ceads9
Would like to add about rust he isn't telling the whole story . You won't get rust other a slight surface rust which happens ever time you wash your car in the summer and they turn orange to much pressure going on to let that happen . . Of course if you have the money you can do it but that can be said for a lot of things . Actually if you don't change your oil you won't be the one who runs into the problem it's the next. Good luck

I greatly appreciate your input and insight! I think I will wait out on this or maybe take the hour and half ride to Lexus to see what they say but they may come up with something even more. The only reason why I took it to Toyota was for a diagnostic check , which they didn't charge me for but this is what the tech seen.
Old 02-28-13, 09:25 PM
TonyHS
Driver

It depends on how much you trust the shop and the tech. I often get coupons for a free brake inspection, although I've never used them, but they would probably tell me I need to get some work done. If you have coupons maybe you can get a free second opnion. In the past I've always done my own brake jobs, however it appears the HS requires techstream to bleed the brakes after a brake job, however changing the fluid has 2 options, with and without techstream. I'll have to do more research before I touch the brakes on this car.
Old 03-01-13, 08:00 AM
skywise
Rookie

I'm wondering if the car got itself parked for a long time and got a healthy dose of rust.
You living someplace damp?
If it is pitting, try having a look yourself with a good flashlight through the wheels, if it's that bad you should be able to see it yourself.

I've parked my Camry for a few months and it sounds absolutely horrible on the first drive, like I'm lining my brakes with gravel.

Last edited by skywise; 03-01-13 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-01-13, 08:32 AM
babbles
Pit Crew

Default Rotors

Originally Posted by skywise
I'm wondering if the car got itself parked for a long time and got a healthy dose of rust.
You living someplace damp?
If it is pitting, try having a look yourself with a good flashlight through the wheels, if it's that bad you should be able to see it yourself.

I've parked my Camry for a few months and it sounds absolutely horrible on the first drive, like I'm lining my brakes with gravel.

I just bought the car used 2 weeks ago so not sure if its been in a damp area or not and not sure how hard the previous owner was on the brakes as well.