HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

PCS , question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 08:35 AM
ceads9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCS , question

Has anyone seen it in action? My wife about hit a deer the other day and the car did nothing no noise or anything .. I mean no warning signs. She had the cruise on so the radar was on . How does this work . I understand the basics and went to lexus and other websites to get a better understanding The system is on ( no night on the dash) and the button is OUT if you know what I mean. I've watched YouTube videos and they show the light blinking and car making noise. I guess I'm asking what is the reaction time and distance for it to work .

Chris
Old 02-18-13, 01:50 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First determine if you have PCS. You'll have the little red lights inside a small housing on top of the steering column.

These watch the position of your eyes. And if the computer thinks that you are not watching straight ahead, and the car in heading towards an obstacle, the tone will sound and the warning will appear. Other thing happen too, like precharging the brake system. And if it thinks a crash is imminent, it'll even start to put on the brakes. Very hi-tech, and an option that will be more common in the future.

Mine has gone off a few times. In my case, while leaving work, I round a corner and merge into 2 lines with a street sign straight ahead of me. Although I'm making the corner and merging, as soon as I move my head to the left to make sure no one is coming the warning goes off for just a second or two. It WILL get your attention !!!
Old 02-18-13, 02:41 PM
ceads9
Driver

Yes I have it. It's on since the button is on the out position under the stearing wheel. I've turned it off (light comes on the dash) off (light) means its on. That's why I was wondering , I've never noticed it working which might be a good thing . Yes I have the monitor on the steering wheel . When do you see the lights ? What kind of warning did it give you . Do you have to have criuse control on ? I was told by lexus of Kansas City it has to be on to work .

Thanks for the help
Old 02-18-13, 05:00 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think the cruise has to be on for the PCS system to work. I am betting that a deer would be too small to trigger it.
Old 02-18-13, 05:38 PM
TonyHS
Driver

I wonder if it only works on solid objects, for example metallic or buildings and structures. I'm guessing the road sign Airman sees is not very large? Also I read the APCS, which we don't have, has the ability to detect humans, so that might detect deer too. I think the PCS we have will not detect humans and animals.
Old 02-21-13, 06:41 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ceads9
Yes I have it. It's on since the button is on the out position under the stearing wheel. I've turned it off (light comes on the dash) off (light) means its on. That's why I was wondering , I've never noticed it working which might be a good thing . Yes I have the monitor on the steering wheel . When do you see the lights ? What kind of warning did it give you . Do you have to have criuse control on ? I was told by lexus of Kansas City it has to be on to work .

Thanks for the help
Actually, it really gets your attention, and kind of scares you until you figure out what is going on.

You get the word "BRAKE" in the multi function display, and in the Heads-up if you have it. Plus a loud warning chime.

It'll actually put on the brakes for you before you can even get your foot to the pedal, if the computer determines a crash is eminent. If you have Lane Keep Assist, it uses both the radar behind the Lexus symbol in the grill, and a camera to determine. If you don't have LKA, it just uses the radar behind the blue "L" in the grill.

PCS is always on unless you use the little hidden button to turn it off. Cruise control or not.
Old 02-21-13, 06:53 PM
ceads9
Driver

Thanks for the help. I have all the things you spoke about. HUD and all the cameras . I'm just wondering why be never seen it in action , which is a good thing. Which I had the HID lights like yours. I spoke to KC lexus and they said they would check on it . Which means see how it shold work.
Thanks again for the update and info .
Old 02-24-13, 11:12 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

There is an "Obstacles not detected" list in the owners manuals of all Lexus and Toyota models that have PCS. The list includes animals, people, snowdrifts, etc.

PCS is an incredible technology but Toyota's version will not bring a vehicle to a full stop before impact without driver intervention like similar systems from some other automakers.