HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

No more 250h for the US

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-11, 03:56 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand why you like the CT - it is all in the personal taste. I just did not like the exterior looks of that type of styling, but it a very nice vehicle. I do not find the HS to feel small to me - it is certainly smaller than the pricier models, but the interior with the cut-away center console and the door as well give me more room than the larger models. Hope you enjoy it lots.
Old 11-01-11, 03:56 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they didn't want to spend the money to refresh the HS. The 2012 Camry came out with a new hybrid system right? And the HS has the older Camry hybrid system with the recycling thing so that it's a bit more efficient. I suppose they can't still use older tech on a Lexus which is suppose to be the premium line.

My prediction, if they don't discontinue the HS. It comes out as a 2013 also but with Li-On batteries and the new Camry Hybrid system. If it doesn't what's the point of buying a Lexus, just buy a Camry.
Old 11-01-11, 04:19 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

I made the 4 hour trek to drive over to the Miami Auto show yesterday. No HS models on display, and the people in the Lexus booth were very closed-mouth about why - they had a pre-recorded answer word-for-word from three of the five girls showing vehicles to visitors (when they weren't talking to each other at the back table)..

I had hoped to find a factory person, but no such luck. On the way I stopped at the Fort Myers Lexus dealer and he confirmed no more HS models after January 1 - there was a meeting with Lexus last week, but it appears that the dealers have been told to play it close to the vest. I agree they may change their minds, but I really doubt it. Changing your mind on something like that is a big deal. They would have to add a noisemaker to the car for 2012 US laws for hybrids imported after January 1, and even staging that into production takes time. If they would bring it back in 2012, it would probably be after mid-year just from a logistics standpoint, and by that time the market will probably change. If our wonderful government succeeds in raising the taxes on gas and squelching new development of fossil fuel, and gas goes through the roof, I guess there is an outside chance. I am getting MPG of about 40 now on my HS with 4,000 miles on it, and I am not a hyper-miler by any stretch, although the little bar graph that pops up every 60 seconds (if you want it to) telling you how you are doing does present a bit of a fun challenge to keep the MPG up.

I went to the show to shop for a car for my wife, and also I wanted to learn what might be on the ES-350 hybrid, but no information was forthcoming to the general public, at least not from these people. From the blank look on their faces, it would appear the Lexus hired half-a-dozen local girls and gave them a standard line of information - 'Take the customer's name and e-mail and tell them we will keep him posted.' was about all I could gleam. Actually, as a whole they were kind of annoying.

I stopped at many displays - about 1000 cars on display the brochure said, and the brochure might be right. A pretty nice show, actually. The Toyota people were very outgoing and friendly. Made the Lexus people look like amateurs.

I saw the 2012 (or was in 2013 - not sure) GS for the first time at the show. It is a beautifully styled car - un-Lexus-like aggressive styling with a touch of the Lexus traditional look - more edgy lines, and new styled exterior lighting. If this is the way of the future, the Lexus line will definitely be more appealing to a larger US audience in my opinion, for what it is worth. At least it appealed to me. It made the ES 350 model next to it look dated. Very dated.

Miami's car show is really huge. If you live in the area and have an interest in that kind of thing, it is a good show to see, and it goes on all week. No concept cars - but lots and lots of vehicles, including yet-to-be-released vehicles from several manufacturers and some classic Rolls Royce cars to view too. No Fiskars or Teslas though.
Old 11-01-11, 04:26 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Default I might like your HS..let me know some details.

Originally Posted by moolman
Anybody interested in a fully loaded HS in NorCal, I'm about to order the Prius Plug In. I admit that I'm a car ****, I know it's not financially wise but it's my vice in life, I don't drink or smoke but I like having new wheels. I was waiting for Lexus to release a hybrid with a Li-on battery, maybe even an updated HS. Maybe, I'll just keep the HS for a bit longer or go with the Prius Plug In. I do love all the tech features on the car, now I wish I bought the one with LED headlights and ML stereo, which are special order only.

They can't discontinue the LX, what are all the Middle East Shieks going to drive around in.
I am certainly not in northern California, but I might have an interest in the car if it has black interior. Post or PM me with some details. Also, I saw the Prius V. It has a lot of electronics available on it - it will rival the HS models in many ways. It is larger than the present Prius, but the gas mileage rating is not quite as good as the present Prius. I think availability will be in February or so. If you have an interest in Prius and like the tech stuff like I do, you might want to take a look. From what I have heard, those headlights are hard to come by on the HS. I am not sure if they ever made any for the US market. Again, PM me if you can figure out how to do it. If not post and let me know that, and I will post my e-mail for you.
Old 11-02-11, 03:48 PM
DDS62
Driver

Lexus finally has their 2012 sales info up on the net. This proves only that they intend to sell the 2012 mode. I find it totally bizarre that they intend to stop sales in two months.

http://www.lexus.com/configurator/#/...41075&group=HS
Old 11-02-11, 07:22 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

I agree, it is extremely odd. But I notice that on the website, most of the hi tech options are not even listed. Like the LKA, the HUD, the Adaptive Cruise Control, the front camera, the hi-tech headlights that swivel, etc. It is truly bizarre. I can only report to the group what I have been told. My dealer said they were bringing in one shipment, and that it would be here before Jan 1, and that no more would be received. I have heard this from three sources, which I have referenced and others have as well. I share your view that it is truly bizarre. Perhaps they just have those options on cars on this shipment, and they want to be sure to sell them. It is just a WAG on my part.
Old 11-02-11, 07:37 PM
JT29
Driver School Candidate

So i was curious about this topic. I live in Canada so I called my dealer, which is the biggest dealer in Canada (in terms of volume). My guy told me they have 0 cars starting in 2012 in their system for the HS. He says he's not sure if they haven't determined the amount of cars coming or perhaps it could be that no cars are scheduled to come at all (he says it's odd).

Either way, for the HS, not many promotions ran for the car. I personally think the price of it is too high. The only reason I bought the car was because I got a year end deal on the non-nav 2010 version with the sport suspension/wheels. It was listed at $39,950 cdn (2010) with $1950 Freight and PDI. The 2011 version is listed at $40,850. Just for comparison purposes, the fully loaded 2011 Camry Hybrid with Leather and Nav costs $36,500 plus $1600 in fright and PDI. Since Toyota Canada is supposed to drop the 2012 full-loaded Camry hybrid price to around $32k, I think the HS could benefit greatly from a price drop too to about $35-36k. I think it'd be smarter for them to compete the HS with the 4 cylinder Acura TSX, Benz C 250, Audi A3/A4, etc. Similar power, luxury, equipment, etc. but fuel savings is their selling point.
Old 11-03-11, 06:27 PM
DDS62
Driver

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
I agree, it is extremely odd. But I notice that on the website, most of the hi tech options are not even listed. Like the LKA, the HUD, the Adaptive Cruise Control, the front camera, the hi-tech headlights that swivel, etc. It is truly bizarre. I can only report to the group what I have been told. My dealer said they were bringing in one shipment, and that it would be here before Jan 1, and that no more would be received. I have heard this from three sources, which I have referenced and others have as well. I share your view that it is truly bizarre. Perhaps they just have those options on cars on this shipment, and they want to be sure to sell them. It is just a WAG on my part.
Perhaps Lexus is not ending HS sales in America, just cars with the tech package. Yes I understand the bizarre nature of that scenario also. Why would there be so many misunderstandings of the same kind?. But for me it would explain why Phil would tell me that indeed RiverCenter will be selling the 2012 model yet would not even be getting their first car until the Holidays, at the earliest, likely not til next January or February. Could be, because of a problem of supply, Lexus has dropped a required minimum inventory and allowed each dealership the option of ordering. Currently RiverCenter has ONE HS on the lot and it is a used 2010 base model with a sticker of $36,500. I paid less than that for my mid level (NAV) premium new. If theses things would turn out to be true, you sir would be "sitting pretty" with a car worth considerably more than you paid for it!
Old 11-03-11, 10:00 PM
LexFather

Hi guys been meaning to chime in but been crazy busy and this will be quick. Thanks Trexus for the text!

Basically dealers told Lexus that their forecast for the HS/CT was all wrong. As someone stated they predicted near 30k or so but pushed it back to 24k as the goal. They never came close to that. The best months I believe were the old "cash for clunkers" months when the car came out initially.

Contrarily they estimated 12k for the CT here but that looks like it could be 20k a month. Dealers again are upset over the forecast error.

The good news is the HS is the top selling model in Japan and the Toyota stablemate sells well too. So overseas things are good. The CT is the same way, it has raised sales over 40% in Europe. Demand is strong worldwide for the CT.

Lexus seems to be confused on what to do with the HS. It does help EPA guidelines but now it has the older 2.4 engine. The 2.5 hybrid Camry has what 200hp and gets 43 MPG. Marketing/Advertising never really explained the amazing technology in this vehicle. We have a loaded one in the family and for the price nothing comes close in regards to electronics and gizmos. The HS also drives more Euro than an ES but that wasn't explained much either. The HS sport model seems non-existent and I have yet to see or drive one.

I will try my best to find out whats what for the HS fans.
Old 11-06-11, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Lexus seems to be confused on what to do with the HS. It does help EPA guidelines but now it has the older 2.4 engine. The 2.5 hybrid Camry has what 200hp and gets 43 MPG. Marketing/Advertising never really explained the amazing technology in this vehicle. .
So basically the HS needs the new Prius or Camry hybrid system.
Old 11-07-11, 09:19 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

It will be interesting to watch, but my source of information is positive that there will be no shipments to the US after Jan 1. A used base model at $36,000? Sounds like they are appreciating rather than depreciating. Go figure.

To me the base model does not really give you the fantastic technology of the HS250H. It is all the things they dropped from the feature list on their website that made the car unique. I am REALLY glad I got my new fully equipped model - just in time, it would appear - thanks to the dealer in Grapevine Texas, even if I did have to drive over 1000 miles to Texas to get it.

I sincerely hope you all can find the car you want, if do not already have it in your garage.
Old 11-07-11, 10:49 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

If or when the HS 250h gets discontinued it would join a short list of discontinued Lexus models:

SC 300
IS 300 Sportcross
SC 430
GS 460

HS 250h (maybe)
Old 11-07-11, 11:22 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
If or when the HS 250h gets discontinued it would join a short list of discontinued Lexus models:

SC 300
IS 300 Sportcross
SC 430
GS 460

HS 250h (maybe)
Except it would be the first entire Lexus model to be discontinued - all those others are just sub-models (there are other IS/SC/GS models still for sale). And after only 2 years in existence.
Old 11-07-11, 05:33 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
I am certainly not in northern California, but I might have an interest in the car if it has black interior. Post or PM me with some details. Also, I saw the Prius V. It has a lot of electronics available on it - it will rival the HS models in many ways. It is larger than the present Prius, but the gas mileage rating is not quite as good as the present Prius. I think availability will be in February or so. If you have an interest in Prius and like the tech stuff like I do, you might want to take a look. From what I have heard, those headlights are hard to come by on the HS. I am not sure if they ever made any for the US market. Again, PM me if you can figure out how to do it. If not post and let me know that, and I will post my e-mail for you.

Sorry, my HS is Starfire Pearl with Beige interior. I had a black interior GS350 and decided to go beige this time. I really can't sell my car until next year when the Prius Plug in supposedly comes out in April 2012, I am on the pre-order list, so I'm hoping for the best. Actually, I was thinking of doing a lease swap, where someone takes over the payments for the remainder of the lease and of course they can purchase the car from Lexus at the end of the lease but it also gives you time to try out the car before buying or just returning it to Lexus. My payments are under $450 a month with tax and I put nothing down, so I did get an excellent deal, it was during the slow HS sales days when they couldn't give the car away..haha...
Old 11-07-11, 07:23 PM
DDS62
Driver

Could Lexus be making a very bad decision?

Quick Reply: No more 250h for the US