HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Dealer says no more fully equipped HS250's???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 01:41 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer says no more fully equipped HS250's???

I have been waiting since June on a 250H that is fully equipped. Today the dealer said Lexus is not making any more with the HUD and Lane Change package - no longer available. I am quite discouraged after waiting for almost 12 weeks for the car. But I wonder...

Is he accurate? Or is he just trying to push me into buying a car that he has? I really want the Lane Change package but especially the Heads Up Display, and frankly, I don;t want to buy the car without those features. Do I have to find a used one? Or is the dealer 'spinning' in order to sell me a car he has? Does anyone actually know if he is telling the truth?

I am looking for a Red or Black or Dark Blue HS250H with Black (must be black) interior that is fully equipped. With all options - including HUD and Lane Change sensing. I don't care about the radio/sound system, but would take whatever is there. I would gladly settle for a low mileage used one. Can anyone tell me if the dealer is telling me the truth? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-11, 03:05 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

I don't think that is the case. I am saying this based upon the "20112 HS 250h Product Information" that is available at: http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...duct+specs.htm .

Maybe they meant ... not available any more on available 2011 vehicles?

I am certainly interested in more information this also as I need to start thinking about placing a factory order for my "replacement"
Old 09-09-11, 03:22 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

The reason I bought the car was the lane assist plus all the technology that was included. If it true looks like I have to keep my car.
Old 09-09-11, 06:22 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Well, I have more information. My dealer is incorrect or was simply trying to pressure me into purchasing the car he had on hand. Another dealer - located in another state - I would say where, but I do not want to agitate - responded to my inquiry, and told me that the situation is that Lexus has Regional Managers who determine what configurations of the car will be made available within their Region. (I suspect it is their task to bring in the versions that will sell well). He tells me that the Southeastern US Regional Manager decided not to bring the Premium Tech package into this Region in 2012. The car will be manufactured, and will be available, but on a Regional basis. At least that is what this dealer is telling me, and I tend to believe him because it makes sense. Why would they pour all that money into engineering those features and then not make them available to anybody (unless they did not work right or something, but I never heard that anywhere)?

And then the guy at the out-of-state dealership offered to locate a car for me. In 3 hours he contacted me again, by e-mail, and located the exact car I wanted. The one I had been waiting for since June (it is now September). Black on Black fully loaded. He said he would do a dealer trade for it and I will have the car within a week. I can either go to his dealership and pick it up or he will ship it to me for a few bucks more. It is a 2011, of course.

And I have been patiently waiting for my local dealer since June. I am annoyed and frustrated with my local dealer, but also very pleased with the amazing response I received from this out of state dealer. The out-of-state dealer has a rather advanced internet system with an on-line chat pop-up, and a very professional guy named Stefanko doing the customer contact.

My fallback was a Kia if the Lexus could not deliver - the Kia looks really good visually, but the car has some first-year problems, and also it lacks a lot of refinements and features of the Lexus. Kia operates somewhat the same way, though. Right now I would have to go to Virginia - that is the closest dealer that carries the hybrid - to get a hybrid Kia - you cannot get them in the south eastern part of the US. Weird. And you can get rain-sensing wipers on a Kia in Canada but not in the US. Perhaps the Koreans think that it rains more in Canada? If you doubt me, check out the Kia Canada website and the Kia US website...

But at least Kia is upfront about it and tells you so in person and on their website. Lexus seems to try to keep it a secret. But in defense of Lexus, I really like the new Lexus website that popped up last night. The feature comparison chart is very convenient, and that new GS looks really, really nice.
Old 09-13-11, 03:39 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been waiting for a factory order since May.

A little birdie told me that 2012 might be the last year for the HS 250h.

Look for a hybrid ES 350 as a replacement sometime in August of 2012.

Also he told me, due to that fact that they may discontinue it, the HS did not get the generation 6 software update the new 2012 Camry got, as they are both the same hybrid drive system.

So far these are rumors, but this person seems like a reliable source.

Since I've been waiting 4 months, I'm thinking of canceling my order because I can not be expected to pay full price on a car that might be discontinued soon.

Has anyone heard similar to this?
Old 09-15-11, 08:58 AM
DDS62
Driver

Doubt Lexus would drop the HS after only one model. Nobody wants to be known as an Edsel manufacturer, especially Lexus. And, they are selling like hot cakes. But I doubt the second generation will happen soon. IMO Lexus will be selling the current model HS for another three years. Look for the next HS in 2015, with a tweak year in 2013 - maybe they will improve the ride then?
Old 09-15-11, 07:26 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

DDS, I heard/read much the same thing that the Airman is saying, except I heard nothing about the generation 6 software. The HS is selling well in Japan, I understand, but not so well in the states. They lowered their sales projections twice on the car, and once the Tsunami hit, it has been really tough to get one in the states. Of course, it might sell better if you could get the d### thing! I guess the SE region is not the only part of the country that is starved for inventory of the really cool versions. Since MAY! I thought I was being treated poorly, and I did not order until June...

Indications are from what I have read and heard is that they will build the unit as a 2012 model. Someone posted somewhere, and the local dealer also said that they converted the factory over to building 2012 models already, but no one seems to be able to get a 2012. He supposedly had a build order for a 2012 for me that was 'recycled' because I wanted the premium tech package, and someone along the line had plugged the 'non-premium' tech package into my order instead, which was my real gripe in the first place.

What appeared to be a new production 2011 was at my local dealership a week ago, so some cars are filtering in to the country. Lexus seems really bad about filling customer specific orders, though. They seem to build what they want to build, or what the Regional Manager tells them to build, and not pay much attention to specific customer orders - at least that is what seems to have happened to me.

I have also read that Lexus announced that Hybrid models of most or all of its present line were going to be available soon. It would make little business sense to have the IS, ES, and HS all as similarly priced and featured hybrid models in the long term.

As to your comment, though, although I believe the interior is years ahead of its time, the exterior design lacks any traditional Lexus elegance or pizzaz, and the ride is without a doubt not up to traditional Lexus standards. Add some lower springs and stretch the car a few inches, blacken the plastic grille, and it would be really perfect, in my view

Frankly, I really wondered when I placed my order if there was going to be a 2012 version. I am still not 100% certain, but I am 95% sure there will be. I am hard pressed, though, to understand why the model as currently configured would last three or four more years. Perhaps it will move to the IS or ES frame, or perhaps they will rebadge to HS as an IS - I don't have any idea. I am just guessing.

But I am still buying the car, because I like it more than anything else I can find out there. There is a new car coming out from somebody - I forget who, that as I understand it, going to position itself as a direct competitor to the HS250H. But you know,every year somebody does something good and smart and better than they did it last year. I could wait till next year and find something a bit better -- maybe -- maybe not. But I like the present model enough to buy it, and I hope to keep it a long time, because I believe that it is ahead of its time. I also believe our idiot government regulators are going to drive the price of gas up and up if they possibly can, and that will make the fuel efficient cars more attractive in the market place.

So I am supposed to pick up my Lexus in a couple of days. I would not wait for next year, because who knows if or what or when? Or if it is a new version, will it be 'buggy' like the Hyundai, or whatever. I am on my way driving west though the Florida panhandle to get my new Lexus now, and deep inside, some part of me is really smiling. I believe I made the right decision, even if they drop the HS or a good strong competitive model comes out. Only time will tell.
Old 09-16-11, 07:21 PM
DDS62
Driver

I think you will like the styling of the car once you get it. Black on black is a great combo. I too think the photos of the HS portray the car as unexciting and in some views even a little out of proportion. But I never see that in real life. The car always strikes me as a very handsome car.

I believe the IS, CT, HS and ES all fall into different categories - no worries about competing against one another. The ES is a luxury mid size sedan with a very low roof line which gives it a sleek sporty look. The IS is a compact luxury model and the CT is a compact luxury hatch back. The HS has it's own category as a luxury mid size hybrid only sedan and I believe it will remain there for many years. I see the ES as remaining a six cylinder mid size offering with an option for the same hybrid package that is now being offered in the Camry, and I see the HS evolving into a very high mileage mid size Hybrid only by reducing weight, adding a turbo charger as well as increasing the size of the electric motor significantly for no other reason than to allow "great acceleration" beyond what is now being experienced in any hybrid. There are many roads Lexus can take to keep the HS a unique offering. I Just don't see the car being dropped.
Old 09-18-11, 04:10 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you're right, because I've held out this long I plan on holding out a little longer. I ordered those illusive LED headlights and want to see if it comes through. I figure I'll hold until the first '12 Camry Hybrids start to show up then I'll make my choice.
Old 09-27-11, 11:13 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Well, I picked up my black-on-black Lexus 250 H on Wednesday in Texas and drove it 1100 miles back to Florida. Wish the Florida dealer could have gotten a car for me, but no, couldn't find one.

I cannot believe the technology in this car. My particular car seems to have more 'pep' than the demo models I drove, and the braking seems more responsive as well. Who ever put mine together did a good job. I splurged for chrome wheels, and am thinking of blacking out the grille, but have not completely decided yet. The car still could be a little lower and a little longer to maximize the exterior, in my opinion. I had a lot of stuff with me, and anticipated a small trunk, but frankly, the way the trunk interior is cut out, I was able to fit all my stuff in without a problem. The trunk space is more generous than the specs would imply.

There is a subtle feeling of quality inside that comes from smooth fitting hinges and solidly engineered pieces and parts, from the cover over the drink holder to the rotating navi screen. I will take some pictures and post them later, but I am still reading the two inch-thick books they supplied with the car.

There are so many little touches that are not hyped - the outside mirrors that tilt down when you go in reverse, the steering wheel that retracts to give you a bit more room to get in and out - the auto-dimming headlights - endless list... Plus the car just has a solid, comfortable feel.

In other words...I like it...more later.
Old 12-10-11, 12:53 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

I notice that Lexus has now added the high tech options to their website for the 2012 HS250H - but the local dealer still says he can't get them. He can't even order them, he says. And the dealer in Dallas still says there won't be any at all.

What the heck is going on. Will it be available or not? One poster says they changed the suspension on the front end. Great. No problem. Sounds good. But can you actually buy one on this side of the pond? My wife wants one now that I have my black on black one, and I would get her one if I could buy the darn thing, but she does not want one without the tech stuff - HUD, etc.

The car is not at the car shows. Not in the dealer order books, at least not here in Florida. The 2012 high tech version looks like vaporware...Does anybody really know???
Old 12-11-11, 08:48 AM
DDS62
Driver

Who said they changed the suspension?

It looks to me that indeed the HS is history, simply that Lexus is trying desperately not to leak that info until after they have sold them all. They will likely sell the 2012 HS as long as there is inventory. What confuses me is why there is evidently so little inventory, based on the total lack of advertisements and comments from sales about their inability get hold of them. The local dealership has been advertising all Lexus cars even all of their used cars, but never a mention of an HS. Surely if they had a lot full of HS's they would be advertising them. I am aware of the poor sales figures, but all the evidence I have seen is that demand was not the problem. I suggest that indeed there may be some unknown problem at the assembly plant that is the root cause. Yet There has been more than enough articles written about the demise of the HS, that if it were untrue Lexus would surely have put out propaganda to stop the rumors. In fact they have been as silent as church mice. The HS is an enigma.

It would be interesting if someone had the knowledge and language skills to contact somebody in Kitakyūshū, Fukuoka Prefecture at the Kokura plant where the USA HS line is built and see if that line is still in operation or due to be shut down. I can't imagine a scenario where the USA bound HS could be built on the same line as the Japanese HS because of the plethora of differences. There must be a separate line for the left handed cars and if so, the stoppage of that line would be big news locally.
Old 12-11-11, 07:14 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by DDS62
Who said they changed the suspension?

It looks to me that indeed the HS is history, simply that Lexus is trying desperately not to leak that info until after they have sold them all. They will likely sell the 2012 HS as long as there is inventory. What confuses me is why there is evidently so little inventory, based on the total lack of advertisements and comments from sales about their inability get hold of them. The local dealership has been advertising all Lexus cars even all of their used cars, but never a mention of an HS. Surely if they had a lot full of HS's they would be advertising them. I am aware of the poor sales figures, but all the evidence I have seen is that demand was not the problem. I suggest that indeed there may be some unknown problem at the assembly plant that is the root cause. Yet There has been more than enough articles written about the demise of the HS, that if it were untrue Lexus would surely have put out propaganda to stop the rumors. In fact they have been as silent as church mice. The HS is an enigma.

It would be interesting if someone had the knowledge and language skills to contact somebody in Kitakyūshū, Fukuoka Prefecture at the Kokura plant where the USA HS line is built and see if that line is still in operation or due to be shut down. I can't imagine a scenario where the USA bound HS could be built on the same line as the Japanese HS because of the plethora of differences. There must be a separate line for the left handed cars and if so, the stoppage of that line would be big news locally.
My dealer(s) both said that one of the biggest problems they have experienced with the HS, and really, with Lexus in general is in getting sufficient inventory of the models that are in demand. It seems the dealer does not have a lot of control over what models and colors are sent to him - the decision must rest with the Regional Manager. I mentioned having seen the new sport model at the Miami car show and how nice it looked to my salesman in Fort Myers, and he sighed and said he just hoped he could get some to sell. And that new model looks outstanding to me - whatever it is called. Not the super-expensive one, but the four passenger model with really nice lines and an extra-wide Navi screen.

As to the HS, it is so odd that they just posted pricing for the options. As to the suspension, I am in error - that was just someone on another thread on this website who was thinking they should change the suspension. I had read it incorrectly. Sorry.

Last edited by RJQMAN; 12-11-11 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-17-12, 09:38 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

I have tried and tried to get another HS for my wife with no luck. Then I found a couple on Autotrader - it looks like they shipped a handful of fully equipped models to the US in the past few weeks - I think there were two in Colorado - both black exterior. I found a couple of used ones - a beautiful red one with black interior with everything on it in Colorado (I think it is still available from a private seller), and a low mileage black opel one with a black interior in New England. I bought the one in New England today and am going up there from Florida to pick it up next week. I really like the HS a lot - I think it is years ahead of its time. Sad that they did not redo it for 2012 and make it look a little more edgy on the outside. If they stretched the car by 6" and put the extra space into the trunk, and maybe lowered it by an inch or so, I think they would have sold a lot more - that is, if they had shipped more fully equipped ones to the US.

I tried to contact the Japanese company that custom-made springs for the HS to see if I could lower my car, but I could not get them to respond. Oh, well.
Old 01-17-12, 09:42 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by JamesDemo
The reason I bought the car was the lane assist plus all the technology that was included. If it true looks like I have to keep my car.
I think you will have to keep it for sure, JamesDemo. By the way, I have the Lane Assist and I am not too enthused about it. It is beeping all the time when I want to change lanes to pass someone on the freeway, and I do not find myself using it very often. Then when it rains, it shuts off. I do like the radar cruise control a lot. I find myself using that even on some city streets. To me the Heads Up Display with its ability to tell you how many lanes of traffic branch off in different directions at busy freeway exits, and the radar cruise control are both extraordinary features.

Quick Reply: Dealer says no more fully equipped HS250's???