HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

2012 HS 250h Models

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 09:50 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 HS 250h Models

I have been and still am searching for a black-on-black or dark blue-with black interior premium either new or certified with navi and HUD without success, and today asked the local dealer about just ordering from the factory. He said that he could do so, and when he came back from his computer, he told me that all 250 HS models placed on order now would come in as 2012 models. He was not certain of delivery dates, but was making a SWAG at August. I guess it is hard to know how the recovery is going, and I understand and accept that it must be a terrible time for Japan.

A question or two... the dealer (who is very user-friendly) said that it is really unusual to have someone order a specific combination rather than just select off the lot. I have always ordered my car when buying cars in the past, but I have never bought a Lexus before. Is it really that unusual for Lexus?

In the meantime, while waiting, I am continuing to search for a certified model (as I explained to the dealer, and he seemed fine with that). I have been searching daily, but without any luck. If anyone knows a practical way to search without going to half a dozen places, let me know. I am a novice at that too. Many thanks.
Old 06-18-11, 02:58 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

I like you have some very specific requirements for my next HS250.

When I leased my first one (a 2010) I compromised. Having lived w/it for 21 months now ... with 15 to go until the lease is up ... I wouldn't compromise again.

I am almost positive the next one will need be ordered from the factory. My only real question is what will the lead time be due current circumstances in Japan.

The combination of: ML sound system, Premium Package, Tech Package, LED lights, and the color combination I prefer (white/grey or silver opal mica/grey) is difficult to come by.
Old 06-18-11, 03:29 AM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
I have been and still am searching for a black-on-black or dark blue-with black interior premium either new or certified with navi and HUD without success, and today asked the local dealer about just ordering from the factory. He said that he could do so, and when he came back from his computer, he told me that all 250 HS models placed on order now would come in as 2012 models. He was not certain of delivery dates, but was making a SWAG at August. I guess it is hard to know how the recovery is going, and I understand and accept that it must be a terrible time for Japan.

A question or two... the dealer (who is very user-friendly) said that it is really unusual to have someone order a specific combination rather than just select off the lot. I have always ordered my car when buying cars in the past, but I have never bought a Lexus before. Is it really that unusual for Lexus?

In the meantime, while waiting, I am continuing to search for a certified model (as I explained to the dealer, and he seemed fine with that). I have been searching daily, but without any luck. If anyone knows a practical way to search without going to half a dozen places, let me know. I am a novice at that too. Many thanks.
I used to to always factory-order my new cars rather than buying off the lot. I'm rather picky and that's the only way I could get exactly what I wanted. With my last few purchases though, I've begun to order off the lot. And due to the number of cars available, the dealers' have been able to find a car that fits me. Any dealer can do a search of all dealers in an area or region or even across the entire country if they have to, to see what their inventory is. Chances are there's a car out there somewhere that fits your needs so that you don't have to wait 2 months. With that said, I'm not sure the HS fits that bill since I believe it's in short supply at this time.
Old 06-18-11, 05:08 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

He says there are no new ones but there might be a certified used one around. So I am continuing to Google daily searching for one.
Old 06-18-11, 05:43 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

How about this one:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

It's in Texas, but shipping it to your local dealer might not be that much.
Old 06-19-11, 03:33 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan55
How about this one:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

It's in Texas, but shipping it to your local dealer might not be that much.
Actually I saw that ad too, and I have contacted that dealer yesterday, but the car did not have the tech package. Otherwise I would fly over there and drive it home! Thanks for the tip, though. If you see one with Navi and Tech and this black inside and a dark shade - blue or black - on the outside, I would love to know about it...
Old 06-19-11, 06:47 PM
hyperme
Driver

Actually I saw that ad too, and I have contacted that dealer yesterday, but the car did not have the tech package. Otherwise I would fly over there and drive it home! Thanks for the tip, though. If you see one with Navi and Tech and this black inside and a dark shade - blue or black - on the outside, I would love to know about it...
Wow, there are really that few cars available? That's got to be frustrating for you. Don't give up, it will happen if you want it to.
Old 06-20-11, 09:29 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

Thanks for the encouragement. There are cars available, but very few if any fully equipped with all the tech stuff - and I mean very few used, certified or new! Maybe thats a sign that the people that bought them want to keep them!

I think that Americans who are gadget-crazed (I resemble that remark) with I-phones, Android devices, I-Pods, Kindles and remote controls to do everything but flush the toilet (and that is coming soon to a bathroom near you) like the tech package and the powers-that-be at headquarters did not anticipate that in their USA allocations.

I really believe that a tweak to the external styling (which could be easily fixed), and the lack of availability of the tech package are the things that are keeping the sales numbers down. Perhaps they had a focus group that did not take into account what 'middle' America might want when they planned this car.

Lexus, just stretch the car a couple of inches in the boot, lower it an inch or so, ship us more cars with more tech stuff and then stand clear, because I really believe this car's sales volume would double.

The Prius group seems to get the idea - you can buy a Prius that does everything but get up and dance with you. But it is not the comfortable car with the ammenities of a Lexus. I am surprised when I read the reviews of the 250h as to how many reviewers still see this car as an overpriced Prius rather than as a fuel efficient Lexus. So many reviewers drink the kool-aid - they seem to think we should all be driving something shaped like a cross between a Prius and a golf cart. Sigh.
Old 07-14-11, 04:01 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Still searching for the car. The dealer seems to have no idea when the next shipment will come in from Japan. He says he has requested a 250h like I want (black or dark blue fully equipped - black interior, tech package), but seemed very vague about the chances of actually getting it and when.

I have been searching on 3 sites daily for 2 months for a certified used one (again, black or blue with everything (fancy radio optional to me), but must have tech package and black interior) with no luck, but would prefer a new one.

Dealer says when they come they will be 2012 models. He told me today that a Lexus August sale is scheduled, and he really hopes to get some more cars in before the sale starts, but is unsure about everything. He seems sincere.

I read that the IS250 will be available as a hybrid in 2012 - I wonder if it will replace the HS250 all together.

It is so odd that no one seems to know what is coming or when. My question is, does anyone out there have any idea? I have been waiting and searching for weeks now, and getting a bit discouraged with the idea of getting a Lexus. Does anyone out there have an 'inside track' on the future of the 250h and the status of domestic US shipments?
Old 07-14-11, 04:50 PM
DDS62
Driver

RJQMAN, have you tried contacting dealerships in the big market areas like NYC, Chicago, LA etc. I believe the biggest dealerships have better selections. Most Lexus dealerships do not make their stock available on line, but some do. I explored some dealership in Chicago stock last October.
Old 07-14-11, 04:56 PM
KGenaidy
Driver

I spoke w/my dealer this week about what to plan on for a lead time on a 2013. In the course of that conversation ... it was shared that production should be back to normal in about 6 weeks. So ... it sounds like the supply is improving.

I was told that I should plan on a 5-6 month lead time for a "special order".

hth ...
Old 07-14-11, 06:56 PM
acheparev
Driver

When I was helping my sister lease her 2008 BMW 3 series, the dealership said the wait for a factory model would be 3 months. Checking other dealerships, I got the same answer...

I think it would be a while for you to get your HS factory ordered, August is a stretch.
Old 07-14-11, 09:26 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by DDS62
RJQMAN, have you tried contacting dealerships in the big market areas like NYC, Chicago, LA etc. I believe the biggest dealerships have better selections. Most Lexus dealerships do not make their stock available on line, but some do. I explored some dealership in Chicago stock last October.
Thanks. No, I have not. I look at their listings, but you are right - many do not keep their listings of models current. I will give that a try.
Old 07-14-11, 09:32 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by KGenaidy
I spoke w/my dealer this week about what to plan on for a lead time on a 2013. In the course of that conversation ... it was shared that production should be back to normal in about 6 weeks. So ... it sounds like the supply is improving.

I was told that I should plan on a 5-6 month lead time for a "special order".

hth ...
I suspect you are right - the wait could stretch out that long. When the dealer said that he had been told that the next batch of 250H cars would be 2012 models, that was my first thought. I tried to suppress the thought. So it looks like somewhere between August and December, assuming that they don't decide to phase out the model. Unless I can find a used one.

Thanks. I think.
Old 07-14-11, 09:59 PM
jdhs250
Driver School Candidate

I suspect you are right - the wait could stretch out that long. When the dealer said that he had been told that the next batch of 250H cars would be 2012 models, that was my first thought. I tried to suppress the thought. So it looks like somewhere between August and December, assuming that they don't decide to phase out the model. Unless I can find a used one.

Thanks. I think.
All this talk of phasing out the HS is quite disappointing to say the least. A hybrid IS, though may be a better business move, is just not that appealing to me. The interior of the HS is much more refined and more luxurious imo.

I do agree that we need more premium models here. I am one of the plenty that have a non- premium model, and do believe that having more availability of the higher end options would increase sales and revenue.

Also, the fun of this car is not much the drivability for me. I think that buyers of this type of vehicles value the features that cannot be had with other manufacturers more than its driving performance.

If they are planning on phasing the HS out, I do hope that they do learn their lesson from this. The HS is a very good idea, I just don't think that the idea was executed very well.

Quick Reply: 2012 HS 250h Models