HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

HS new Tires ..ideas???

Old 10-21-11, 12:53 PM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm replacing the Toyos (@ about 26,000 kms) with a set of Nokian WRG2 "All Weather" tires (225/45 R18). With our side streets covered by hard-packed snow and/or ice roughly from November to March, I need a winter-rated tire. Rather than buying a set of winter tires and rims, I decided to give the Nokians a try.

The tires will be installed next Monday. I will report my impressions to the group from time to time.
Old 11-22-11, 09:52 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Update - Conti DWS review

Had a chance to drive in heavy rain the past week, and these new Conti's impress. Lots more stick in the wet than the stock Toyo's, both cornering and braking. Was able to accelerate out of a turn in standing water with almost no traction control kick-in, and was perfectly stable driving through water deep enough to splash up the side windows. Night and day difference from the Toyo's in the wet, and inspires a lot more confidence.

Still seeing lower mpg than the Toyo's, and some tire noise, but overall I'm happy with the switch. I'll do another update if/when I get to drive in some snow.
Old 11-26-11, 08:32 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've now put about 1,500 km (a bit less than 1,000 miles) on the Nokian WRG2s. I find the Nokians are quieter than the OE Toyos, and at equivalent tire pressures, give a softer ride when the temperature is below freezing. We've had two light snows (each around 5 cm or 2 in.) since I've gotten the tires. As I hoped, the Nokians have much better traction (both starting and stopping) than the Toyos. I haven't noticed any difference (based on "seat-of-the-pants" data) in handling on dry pavement. There are too many factors affecting fuel consumption, so I haven't tried to compare the tires on that variable.

More later.
Old 03-16-12, 09:36 AM
dalton
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A320pilot
Love them…..about 12,000 miles on them to date. I give them all positive marks from handling to noise. Happy with my choice. I even have them inflated to 39psi and get about 36 - 37 mpg.

I have the 4 original TOYO's that came with the car and less then 900 miles on them if anyone is interested……email me at A320pilot@aol.com
Hi A320:

Looking to replace my 18" Toyos in the next few months. Just wanted to check in to see how and if you're still enjoying your Conti's. I'm here in SoCal, so snow is not a problem unless I am up in snow country skiing (which I usually don't take the HS). You've got to have quite a few miles on your Conti's by now. How are they holding up? By chance, do you have any side profile and close up photo of one on your HS?

I've enjoyed my Toyo's for almost 20k, and just looking around out there to see what good.

By chance, do you still have your original Toyo's you want to get rid of? It's been quite some time, so I'm guessing you've sold them.

Thanks,

dalton
Old 03-17-12, 07:35 AM
EVPowers
Driver School Candidate

Have you looked at the Bridgestone Ecopia? (EP422?)
From their web site:
"Ecopia tires are designed to enhance vehicle fuel economy by reducing tire rolling resistance along with the vehicle's carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions while delivering year-round, all-season traction, even in light snow"

I can't tell if they come in the correct size, though. And I don't see any other discussion on the forums yet.
Old 03-17-12, 11:47 PM
dalton
Rookie

Originally Posted by EVPowers
Have you looked at the Bridgestone Ecopia? (EP422?)
From their web site:
"Ecopia tires are designed to enhance vehicle fuel economy by reducing tire rolling resistance along with the vehicle's carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions while delivering year-round, all-season traction, even in light snow"

I can't tell if they come in the correct size, though. And I don't see any other discussion on the forums yet.
Hey EVPowers,

I haven't looked into the Bridgestone Ecopia's but just looked them, up. Found them for $196 each... But I can't find any reviews. However, on paper, they look pretty good.

dalton

Last edited by dalton; 03-17-12 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-18-12, 03:23 AM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by dalton
Hi A320:

Looking to replace my 18" Toyos in the next few months. Just wanted to check in to see how and if you're still enjoying your Conti's. I'm here in SoCal, so snow is not a problem unless I am up in snow country skiing (which I usually don't take the HS). You've got to have quite a few miles on your Conti's by now. How are they holding up? By chance, do you have any side profile and close up photo of one on your HS?

I've enjoyed my Toyo's for almost 20k, and just looking around out there to see what good.

By chance, do you still have your original Toyo's you want to get rid of? It's been quite some time, so I'm guessing you've sold them.

Thanks,

dalton
Still Love them, (CONTI's)…….I Have no negative comments about them.
I still have the Orignal TOYO's…….But to ship them out to anyone is not feasible..I was looking for a local to take them off my hands, but no takers. So I still have them.
Old 03-18-12, 07:16 AM
EVPowers
Driver School Candidate

If you bring stuff into fedex they can box & ship them. But could be a bit expensive.
Probably would offset any cost savings of buying used tires.
Old 03-19-12, 06:01 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Dalton, I have the Conti's as well, maybe 5k on them now. IMO, they don't look as sharp as the Toyo's, and steering response isn't as sharp, and gas mileage drops about 1mpg. But they seem to stick much better in the rain, are more predictable at the limit., and IMO match the non-performance package HS suspension better (which I believe was tuned for the 17" MXV4 tires on the non-Premium). Plus they are relatively inexpensive, with a huge warranty.
Old 03-19-12, 10:56 PM
dalton
Rookie

Thanks, everyone.

By chance, would either of you have a couple photos of the Continental's? I'm just looking around.. Not too concerned with M&S performance, but summer, mileage, low noise level amd decemt handling performance is much more important here in SoCal and to me. I do like the looks of the Toyo's and Bridgestone Potenza's though.
Old 03-24-12, 03:02 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I would chime in, I just got a set of Nitto Motivos on my HS. I'll write a full review within a week. My main comparison is to the Contiental DWS which I have on a Honda but at least I tried out the tires in real life. So far, the Motivos seem to be a clone of the DWS except they have a 10K longer thread life warranty. This tire could overthrow the DWS, also I noticed that the tire has a bit less bulge from the engine weight. This will be my 3rd week with the tires. I've had the DWS for the past 2 months.
Old 03-25-12, 12:57 AM
dalton
Rookie

Thanks, Moolman. Looking forward to your review. I'll look them up. Definitely interested in the wear life and less bulge.
Snap a photo of one if you can.
Thanks,
Dalton
Old 04-06-12, 11:31 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted a review in the tire section about the Nitto Motivos.
Old 04-06-12, 08:13 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dalton
Hey EVPowers,

I haven't looked into the Bridgestone Ecopia's but just looked them, up. Found them for $196 each... But I can't find any reviews. However, on paper, they look pretty good.

dalton
Ecopia's are great tires... for anyone looking for fuel efficiency, they are one of, if not the best... so Bridgestone has really put a lot of technology into them to ensure low rolling resistance and long life... They aren't the absolute best in the snow, the absolute best performance, but they do all of those well, and get excellent tread life and very low rolling resistance...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=155
Old 04-09-12, 08:16 AM
EVPowers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Ecopia's are great tires... for anyone looking for fuel efficiency, they are one of, if not the best... so Bridgestone has really put a lot of technology into them to ensure low rolling resistance and long life... They aren't the absolute best in the snow, the absolute best performance, but they do all of those well, and get excellent tread life and very low rolling resistance...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=155
I've watched the evolution of these LRR tires for a while. I know for sure when people switch to non-LRR tires, they see a decrease in gas mileage.

Here in Wisconsin, I know some people keep a separate set of snow tires, although this last winter they were barely needed.