HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Car Dead, Would Not Start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 03:09 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acheparev
OK, Got the answer from the dealership. I have a "Bad" Accessory battery. It's not the hybrid drive battery, but the battery that starts the car and operates the electronics in the car. They could not recharge the battery.

Apparently this is a special order part, it's a gel type battery that is not standard and not kept in stock and will not arrive for about a week. Getting a loaner in the meantime.

The key was not the problem.
Glad they found out whats wrong and thats its only a simple fix
Old 12-13-10, 03:18 PM
acheparev
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Glad they found out whats wrong and thats its only a simple fix
I just hope that this is not common for these gel batteries.
Old 12-14-10, 03:08 PM
LexFather

Thanks for the update!
Old 12-14-10, 07:32 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

So this isn't a lead-acid battery that you can just get from Sears or an auto parts store? I wonder how much it costs and how long it's supposed to last? It's probably not part of the hybrid battery warranty either.
Old 12-15-10, 04:07 AM
acheparev
Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan55
So this isn't a lead-acid battery that you can just get from Sears or an auto parts store? I wonder how much it costs and how long it's supposed to last? It's probably not part of the hybrid battery warranty either.
I found an article on Gel Batteries:
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-mainte...s-and-cons-faq

A search on google shows prices of about $130. But, I don't know what brand is in the HS.
Old 12-15-10, 10:29 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

its lexus branded which is a rebrand of interstate I think...
Old 07-24-17, 03:47 PM
Katiefl
Driver School Candidate

Default Hello

Originally Posted by acheparev
I came back to my HS, after it being parked for 3 hours, and the lights were blinking, like the alarm had gone off. I was able to open the doors and got into the car. When i tried to start the car, it said "Key Not Detected". I checked the battery on the Key and it seemed to be fine. The light lit up when pressing the lock unlock buttons, but the doors would not respond anymore. One thing I noticed right away is that the break could not be pressed, pressure in the break lines.

I called Lexus Roadside Assistance and they tried some troubleshooting. Pressing the Key on the power button and trying to start the car. It would sometimes say "Key Not Detected" but now had stopped responding completely. It tried to see if the battery was dead. I turned on the Interior lights, they worked but were very dim. I tried Hazzard Lights, which would flutter and only light up on the Left Side of the car. Sometimes they would stay on, sometimes they would blink a couple times and then turn off.

Lexus thought the battery was dead. When AAA came, they tried to give the car a boost. It didn't take. It didn't respond at all to the boost. BTW, I waited an hour and a half for AAA to get there. AAA could not tow the car until they had confirmation from the dispatcher and the driver would not wait for the confirmation and left telling me he had another call. Lexus called back and told me they had confirmed with AAA and they will tow the car. I told them the driver had left. I had to wait for another Tow Truck, which did only take a half hour.

The guy got there and actually told me he saw the same thing happen recently to a Prius. He said it wasn't a battery problem but that he tried some combination with the power button and break and key presses and was eventually able to start the car. Nothing worked with mine.

This happened on a Saturday at 6:00pm. All the Lexus dealerships were closed. At first Lexus was asking me where they can leave the car. I told them I live in an apartment building with an underground parking garage. There is no way they would be able to get my car into my spot with a tow truck. The operator told me I would have to pay to store the car at AAA until Monday, and then have the car towed to a Dealership for service. This was while still waiting for the first Tow Truck. I called back when the Tow Truck arrived and this time Lexus agreed to pay to store the car until Monday and tow it to a dealership for service, but, because it's a Saturday, I don't have a loaner! I have to go to work this morning with no car! The car has 5,000 miles on it and was just in for service for 5K maintenance last Saturday!

I got a new car for the Peace of Mind that things like this would not happen. I got a premium car so that I would have good roadside assistance and a loaner car. This Sucks!

One more thing. I tried the SOS button in my car, since I have Lexus Assist. IT WOULD NOT WORK. It had no power. It's a good thing I have a smartphone and was able to find a number online.
what was the problem because the same thing is happening to my Lexus?
Old 07-25-17, 06:59 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

I doubt you will get an answer to a 7 year old thread, but if you look at post 16 above, archeparev says they found it was a bad regular battery, not the hybrid drive battery. This is like a regular car battery, except it is a special gel type and size that costs between $200 and $300 and may usually only be found at a Toyota or Lexus dealer. Thus, it is a simple fix, you have a bad battery and it freaked out the control system. This battery is located inside the right rear fender and is accessed via the trunk. Due to no ventilation they use the special type of battery that costs so much.

I suggest you go to www.priuschat.com as they are very active and it is a similar system and as the tow truck driver said above, he saw the same think on a Prius. Maybe also check the Camry Hybrid forum here as it has the same engine and transmission as the HS250h.

Oh, and welcome to CL and let us know if it really was the battery. Also, what year and how many miles on your car?