HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Best and most useless Gizmo in your Hs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 06:52 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best and most useless Gizmo in your Hs?

Folks, been thinking about getting the Lane Keep Assist/Departure warning added to my HS but wasnt sure if it was worth it. Any of you folks have any suggestion on this gadget and is it worth the extra expense? Btw, how much is it extra?

That also got me to thinking... whats your most useful and useless gadget on the HS?? I have a Premium HS and by far my most useful gadget is my Bluetooth/hands free. I love hooking up my iPhone and listening to a Denver sports station app, being able to switch to my music on the phone if I'm in the mood and then taking/making a call -- all with one button. Love it and use it daily.

The most useless gadget is the remote start. Good concept and while I've used it to start the engine while in the house, I hate that the engine shuts off again when you walk up to it. /bleh.. I dont bother most of the time.
Old 10-06-10, 08:53 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Useful:

* Ability to view and select previous destinations on nav while car in motion (less nanny lockouts than Lexus models lacking remote touch device)

* Ability to view and select songs on USB attached iPhone while car in motion

* Pre Collision System (PCS): The beeping has probably prevented me from rear-ending two cars in the 3 months I've owned the car

* Sonar parking sensors and rear camera - great for backing out of the garage when little kids are around

* SmartKey entry (I do wish they had put sensors on the rear doors like the ES) and pushbutton start

* Automatically selects "park" when engine shut off - saves a motion for those of us in a hurry

* Handsfree phone and iPod integration (although primitive in features - should be able to toggle phone mute w/o needing to access phone display on nav screen)

* Rain sensor wipers (although sensing algorithm could be improved)

* Radar cruise

Useless:

* "Display" button on Remote Controller -- these adjustments are rarely used and should be relegated to a menu on the setup screen. The mechanical button should be repurposed as a customizeable quick-access button (e.g., brings up audio screen or brings up destination screen)

* Dual "Enter" buttons on Remote Controller -- most people will just pick one and use it consistently. Should allow user to customize the one they don't use to do something else; see above

* Remote start - I don't have it on mine, but have had it on loaner cars. I don't see the point unless one lives in extremely cold areas of the country.

* Headlights: Too dim; a $40K car needs HID or LED on the premium/loaded trim model

* Stereo: The audio is so muddy and lacking in mid-bass that it's annoying to listen to, so I don't use the radio or CD player, and just listen to talk radio podcasts via my iPhone hookup instead.

* Voice command -- the system is so slow at interpreting what I say before executing that it's faster to just use the buttons or pull off the road and input destinations, etc.

So-So:

* Lane Keep Assist (LKA): I use it from time to time and like it. However, there are too many occasions when the system does not operate. For example, when the wipers are on, LKA is disabled, yet it would be most useful when raining. I also wish I could increase the amount of steering feedback, and that the LCD display would display an arrow indicating which way the driver needs to steer to get back into the lane, instead of the blinking railroad track icon that lacks information. This info should also be displayed on the HUD.

* Front camera: It's difficult to orient myself and determine exactly where what's shown on the screen is physically located with respect to the car. This could be useful if they added some reference markers on the screen, and perhaps some indication of distance between the car and what's in front of it so the camera can be used when parking too
Old 10-06-10, 09:14 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree - I've a premium model too and Bluetooth in the most used feature

Navigation is not very intelligent and at times I had to use Google maps on my Iphone to look the correct address up and then enter that in the navigation.

Remote Start - I don't see a sense when the engine has to turn off again!!!

Display button on Remote controller - the button on the other side is useful only when I've asked my wife to do something on it.

Audio system - I've said in my previous post - "mediocre"!

Headlight - agree - paid 42k and still no HID!
Old 10-06-10, 09:24 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with much of the above. My two cents worth:

*USEFUL*
[1] Mark Levinson Stereo. For me, was definitely with the 3 months the special order too to get it. (Can't believe they advertise it is available, but it is only by special order. Insane for a "luxury car")

[2] Radar-assisted cruise control. Love it

[3] Head-up display. Wish you could configure it to display even more info.

[4] Keyless entry. Not exactly new technology, but definitely something you can't live without once you have it. Wish, though, the back seat doors could also trigger the unlocking.

[5] iPod integration. I like it and it works. But it still seems so dated. The screens are ugly, and why, on earth, did they put the USB/Aux and Power ports out in the open -- they should be in the armrest!

[6] Remote touch controller. Think this is a really intuitive interface.

*NOT SO USEFUL*
[1] Front camera. In theory it is cool, but the way Lexus implemented it ruins it. You either have to push the button whenever you want it to come up (which isn't convenient because of where the switch is located; it should be on the steering wheel or somewhere easy to get to), or you can have it come on always when you are below 5 mph (which is annoying, since when I'm at a stop sign, I usually want to fiddle with the audio or nav system, not see a wide angle view of the car in front of me).

[2] LED Headlights. They are indistinguishable from regular HID xenons - both in terms of overall light output and external appearance - and at 3 times the cost. (Xenons should be standard on the car anyway).

[3] Lane Keep Assist. Works okay, but I find on the majority of my commute it can't "see" the freeway lane markers so even though I have it turned on, it's not actually working most of the time.

[4] Lexus Enform. Just don't want to talk to some voice and ask where the nearest Italian restaurant is. I'd love to see the statistics of what percentage of Lexus drivers actually pay for the service once the trial expires (or even use it). I'd say it's about 5%. The eDestination service (where you enter destinations from a computer to have downloaded to the car) would be cool if it was easier to use and if they had an iPhone/Android app for it.

[5] Lexus Insider. Good lord, what a waste of time.

Just some thoughts. I'm really enjoying my HS, but do find the lack of attention to detail frustrating in the car. Wish Lexus would hire Apple to work on its GUI.
Old 10-06-10, 02:51 PM
tonyscv
Driver

Worst: The Toyota/Lexus iPod interface, which is by far the worst in any car I've used. Slow operation doing anything and the music often "stutters" ever so subtly when you're listening. It's incredibly annoying. The iPod interfaces in Audi's, BMW's and Infiniti's are light years better.

Best: Ventilated seats and radar cruise.
Old 10-07-10, 03:44 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tonyscv
Worst: The Toyota/Lexus iPod interface, which is by far the worst in any car I've used. Slow operation doing anything and the music often "stutters" ever so subtly when you're listening. It's incredibly annoying. The iPod interfaces in Audi's, BMW's and Infiniti's are light years better.

Best: Ventilated seats and radar cruise.
Agree. I moved to the HS from an Audi and the Lexus infotainment interface is so ancient compared to the competition. They clearly didn't want to put any resources into rewriting it, so they just pulled it off of the shelf and used the exact same system they've had for 5+ years.
Old 10-07-10, 03:45 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Not to keep trashing the HS, because I am truly enjoying the car, but here's one more "gizmo" that's more marketing than useful: the bioplastics used in the interior. They are hard, cheap-looking and very prone to scratching and scuffing. Don't think they are ready for prime-time (at least in an interior that strives for "luxury").
Old 10-07-10, 06:42 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Argelius

The eDestination service (where you enter destinations from a computer to have downloaded to the car) would be cool if it was easier to use and if they had an iPhone/Android app for it.

Check the iTunes app store, Lexus Enform Mobile is there. Needs some work, but it's a start.
Old 10-07-10, 06:53 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Thanks for the information so far folks. Also thanks for that bit YotaCarFan re the LKA not working when its raining... /weird. I woulda figured it would be really good for that. Also, I never knew you could just hit the power button and it automatically shifts to park. I always use both.

Argelius - Do you notice any drop in mpg when using radar cruise control? Given that on my commute I'm usually doing 65-70 and I am often the slowest car on the road, so I'm wondering how that affects the gas mileage?

DunWkg - Thx for the app update. Finally glad Lexus has something. It can be better, but you're right its a start.
Old 10-07-10, 07:59 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Check the iTunes app store, Lexus Enform Mobile is there. Needs some work, but it's a start.
Cool. I hadn't checked the App store in a while. Surprised Lexus hasn't advertised the app more... Will check it out.
Old 10-07-10, 08:25 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Squirrelsb
Argelius - Do you notice any drop in mpg when using radar cruise control? Given that on my commute I'm usually doing 65-70 and I am often the slowest car on the road, so I'm wondering how that affects the gas mileage?
I'm not sure I use it consistently enough to be able to judge it's effect on milage. I can see a potential for a (slight) drop in mileage since it does tend to "surge" the engine a bit when it needs to speed up. You can set how close you want to be to the car ahead of you, so the greater distance you select, the less of that behavior it exhibits...
Old 10-08-10, 05:48 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Not to keep trashing the HS, because I am truly enjoying the car, but here's one more "gizmo" that's more marketing than useful: the bioplastics used in the interior. They are hard, cheap-looking and very prone to scratching and scuffing. Don't think they are ready for prime-time (at least in an interior that strives for "luxury").
I totally agree about the low-budget look of the interior plastics, especially the textured plastic on the doors and on the lower part of the dashboard. It feels and sounds cheap when one runs the or fingers/nails across it or taps it, too. The "bio" carpet and floor mats are not up to the standard I expect in a Lexus, either. The nap is too short and it looks worn fast. The stitched border on the mats is also prone to unraveling: mine had a foot of yarn hanging off it when new, and I was able to unravel a loaner's mat by simply gently picking the underside of the center front edge with my finger to release the end of the yarn. A gentle tug pulled off six inches. Considering all the bad press about "killer floor mats" in Toyota/Lexus cars, I'm surprised to see this - all it'll take is for the heel of some woman's shoe to get tangled in the unraveled threads of one of these mats and prevent her from reaching the brake pedal and cause an accident, and it'll be another press fiasco for the brand.
Old 10-08-10, 05:52 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Cool. I hadn't checked the App store in a while. Surprised Lexus hasn't advertised the app more... Will check it out.
They must have heard you - today there was a Lexus Insider audio article on my car and I listened to it for the heck of it and they mentioned the availability of a Lexus Enform application in the app stores.