HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Prius getting fake engine sounds - HS next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 07:48 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Prius getting fake engine sounds - HS next?

Looks like Toyota will offer speakers in Japan for the Prius to mimic engine sounds. Wonder if we'll be next. Can I order one that sounds like a V-12?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20014511-17.html
Old 08-24-10, 11:37 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's alot better than homosexual sounding bird chirps right? I'm totally for the Prius and HS getting some sort of artificially induced sound...Those cars are just way too dangerously quiet, especially in the hands of an inattentive driver.
Old 08-25-10, 10:25 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Those cars are just way too dangerously quiet, especially in the hands of an inattentive driver.

It could be related to safety factors in the case of pedestrians not hearing us coming, especially in parking lots.
Old 08-25-10, 12:06 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

I walked right in front of a Camry Hybrid the other day. I didn't even hear nor did I check when I crossed the parking lot going to my car.
Old 08-25-10, 02:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

whatever happened to being responsible for oneself? didn't our parents teach us to look both ways before we cross the street? the same idea applies, whether it is a hybrid car or not. putting the blame on all hybrid cars for being too quiet is not completely fair. just like the driver behind the wheel, the pedestrian on foot should be aware of his/her surroundings. if hybrid driver and pedestrian were both equally aware of their surroundings, we wouldn't have this nonsense of adding noise to hybrids.
Old 08-25-10, 02:33 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
whatever happened to being responsible for oneself? didn't our parents teach us to look both ways before we cross the street? the same idea applies, whether it is a hybrid car or not. putting the blame on all hybrid cars for being too quiet is not completely fair. just like the driver behind the wheel, the pedestrian on foot should be aware of his/her surroundings. if hybrid driver and pedestrian were both equally aware of their surroundings, we wouldn't have this nonsense of adding noise to hybrids.

I agree with you and personal responsibility but there's nothing wrong with saving a life or person from personal injury, here and there.
Old 08-25-10, 03:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I definitely drive more conservatively in my RX450h so I can avoid accidents. As for pedestrians, I see many of them talking on their cellphone, talking to another person, texting, listening to their iPod or whatever while walking against lights or jaywalking. Now my eyes are on the road at all times. Theirs, not so much. I have to. They have more rights than me despite their stupidity

Can I suggest the following for us hybrid drivers as we roll by

Sorry, NWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC86y...layer_embedded
Old 08-25-10, 10:09 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Won't that hurt the gas mileage of the car by adding unnecessary crap to the car?

Old 08-26-10, 03:41 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my car there was an inside noise when you put the car in reverse. The problem with this was you could only hear this inside the car. I had it disconnected because when I don't know when I am in reverse I feel it's time to hang up my keys.
If this back up noise was on the outside I would be for that.

That being said don't forget in the middle of the steering wheel there is a device called the "HORN". It works when someone walks in front of my car. USE IT and it might do the same for you.

Don't you think we have mother government telling us enough already! Fake sounds out side your car

If you don't see some one in the front - Maybe time to hang up your keys; enough is enough!
Old 08-26-10, 09:38 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

Will flashing lights be next for the hearing impaired and the inattentive?
Old 08-26-10, 10:35 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

This reminds me of silly laws passed 100 years ago when cars first came out, such as requiring someone to walk in front of a car holding a lamp when driving on a city street.

I'm a cyclist, and have the same issue on a bike - people can't hear me. I'm not as big a hazard to pedestrians of course, but I see plenty of anti-cyclist complaints. I hope no one ever decides to make me carry a noise maker

IMO, it's all just fear of change - we're all accustomed to cars making noise, but there's no reason they have to.
Old 08-26-10, 03:54 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge

He just pulled out of his parking space and I didn't hear it. Yeah, I should have looked, not blaming the car I blame myself for nothing paying attention. Another time I was in a apartment complex parking lot talking and a Prius was trying to reverse. Me and the person talking didn't hear it at all since it was in stealth mode and I just so happen to glance down at the reverse lights.
Old 08-26-10, 06:45 PM
acheparev
Driver

I think the fake engine sounds are being introduced because legally blind people can't hear the cars when they are deciding to cross a street. I read a few articles a little while ago with different groups for the blind raising alarms over "quite" hybrids.

It's pretty funny we are here talking about this being used to help absent minded people instead
Old 09-01-10, 03:51 AM
JimmyFoste
Driver School Candidate

I don't think so that you may purchased that because first they come along with the Toyota and after two to three months later, they will be available in the market of spare parts.