HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 11:06 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's go Lexus!

A hybrid for everyone should be ToMoCo's thing in the future.

On a side note,

Please stop making your SUV's so damn fugly and let's make your sports sedans more sporty cuz you know you've got the luxury down 100%.

oh and fix the squeaks will ya? it started in 06. it's old news. c'mon.
Old 11-28-08, 09:45 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nextourer
It's a 250h.... I don't know if they'll go as small as 1.6 litres. The new AR engines would be a good fit. The 2.5 litre that'll be going into the RAV4 and Camry will be ideal. De-tuned it by running it on the Atkinson cycle then recover the hp with the battery and electric motors. Keep in mind that the RX450h now uses an Atkinson cycle for the engine.

So my guess is the 2.5 litre engine.
Yes but I beg to differ on the 2.5 L as then why call it a 250 it would at least be a 300 then the new RX450h is a 3.5 L atkinson cycle I calculated this all out based on the LS 5.0 L in a LS600h RX 3.3 L in a RX400h GS 3.5 L in GS450h so averaging it all out I come up with a 1.6 and I remember reading this someplace also. I have to look this up later this weekend sometime and post what I find and my source.
Old 11-28-08, 10:26 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

OK read the article below from Road and Track
Note 1.8 Liter engine is mentioned also the size will be bigger than an IS and smaller than a GS.

HS maybe Hatchback Sedan as in the late 70's early 80's we had sedans that actually had a hatch rear window and all opened up.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...-toyota-prius/

Exposed: 2009 Toyota Prius
First spy shots and exclusive info uncovered.
printsend
By Sam Mitani • Photos Copyright: Chris Doane/Brenda Priddy & Company

2009 Toyota Prius

It was a little more than a decade ago when Toyota completely changed the automotive landscape with its small, oddly shaped economy car called the Prius. Equipped with what Toyota calls its Hybrid Synergy Drive, the Prius was the first mass-marketed hybrid in the world.

“Hybrid” refers to the car’s powertrain. It consists of a lean-burning gasoline engine and an electric motor that work together to achieve more than 40 mpg, or even 50 mpg, in city driving. With gasoline prices currently soaring to all-time highs, we at Road & Track have had our attention focused on the all-new third-gen Prius, which will hit dealerships in the spring of 2009.

Toyota is saying very little about the future Prius, but we were able to uncover key bits of information regarding its appearance and technology.

The general shape of the car will remain intact, but the front end will be thoroughly redesigned. Thanks to canted headlights and a steeply raked windshield and hood, the new Prius will look sportier than the current model. The car will grow slightly, to an overall length of 179 in. (up from 175.0 in.), resulting in a more spacious interior.

As for the motor/engine, here’s what we uncovered. The displacement of the inline-4 will grow from 1.5 liters to 1.8, which will result in more power and torque. The gasoline engine will produce about 100 bhp and 105 lb.-ft. of torque, and the electric motor generating about 60 bhp, making the new Prius more powerful than ever. We hear it will run from zero to 60 mph in about 9.5 seconds and reach a top speed of about 115 mph.

With this extra oomph, one would expect the car’s fuel economy to suffer. Nope. Amazingly, the Prius will be even more fuel-efficient than it is now. According to our sources, Toyota has improved its hybrid system so the electric motor plays a bigger role when driving. Therefore, don’t be surprised when a slow drive to the corner market is achieved without using a single drop of gasoline.

Now here’s the real kicker. The price of the all-new Prius will probably be the about same, perhaps even lower, than the current one. Toyota is expected to offer three trim levels: base, luxury and eco, with the base model starting around $21,000. Of course, these prices are at the mercy of the dollar/yen exchange rate, so don’t take them to the bank just yet. What is sure is that the next Prius will be as ground-breaking as the model before it, and Toyota will remain the global leader in fuel-efficient modes of transportation.

More at Road & Track
Old 11-29-08, 10:48 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So 1.8 litres then just like the new Prius. I guess so. The 1.5 litre Prius was meant to give performance of a 2.0 litre.

That'll definitely challenge perceptions then!
Old 11-29-08, 11:13 PM
LexFather

Well it if its 1.8, that makes more sense to call it 250.
Old 11-30-08, 06:38 AM
ren495
Pole Position

I'm really excited to see the new HS250. I hope its a 1.8 liter not a 2.5 liter. Lexus needs a real euro fighter and they need a sub 2 liter car for that. Give it a healthy HP and torque bumb with the electric motors. If this thing gets 35-40 mpg Lexus will really take it to the Germans world wide, not just USA
Old 11-30-08, 08:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Dont take to much of that article as truth. Lets of rumour has been going around as far as displacement and horsepower #s. Best to just wait and see.
Old 11-30-08, 10:11 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Lexus Western Area rep told us that Lexus might even add a turbocharged 4-cylinder to its lineup - just another tidbit...but he did mention a smaller Hybrid as a go if I can remember correctly. I'll have to wait and see I guess...
Old 11-30-08, 12:46 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Our Lexus Western Area rep told us that Lexus might even add a turbocharged 4-cylinder to its lineup - just another tidbit...but he did mention a smaller Hybrid as a go if I can remember correctly. I'll have to wait and see I guess...
I remember awhile back hearing about a turbocharger in the Prius but that was before the rumor of the Lexus version surfaced. Then no more was said about a turbo.
Old 11-30-08, 12:52 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is I hope this thing is tuned for comfort, quality, and mileage, not performance, unlike most of the rest of the "h" Lexus lineup which seems to believe that hybrids should be more powerful than their non-hybrid counterparts even if that means they don't really exceed the mileage of their non hybrid counterparts by nearly as much as you'd otherwise hope for. I also hope that it has a reasonable purchase price and cost of maintenance.

I like the idea of the Prius itself but I'm just not a fan of the dinky cheap looking interior and exterior.
Old 12-01-08, 06:33 AM
ren495
Pole Position

Can you turbo charge a hybrid? wow that'd be really cool. Man, Lexus needs a car that gets 50 mpg. Scratch that 35-40 mpg remark I made earlier. Euro BMW 318d gets 50 mpg american. That's crazy. If Lexus wants to compete in europe they better match that with some great styling. A small Lexus sedan with a 1.8 liter hybrid engine that gets 50 mpg would do wonders for Lexus sales in europe and world wide. I'd even say make a smaller engine- a new 1.5 liter, turbo charge it and add at least 70 horses of electric power. Now that would be a recipe that could let Lexus seriously eat into German car sales in europe. Lexus would be selling 6 figures a year in europe before anyone in Germany realised whats happening.
Old 12-06-08, 11:40 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
All I can say is I hope this thing is tuned for comfort, quality, and mileage, not performance, unlike most of the rest of the "h" Lexus lineup which seems to believe that hybrids should be more powerful than their non-hybrid counterparts even if that means they don't really exceed the mileage of their non hybrid counterparts by nearly as much as you'd otherwise hope for. I also hope that it has a reasonable purchase price and cost of maintenance.

I like the idea of the Prius itself but I'm just not a fan of the dinky cheap looking interior and exterior.
There's a good chance it will since they've changed their minds on the RXh and gave it an Atkinson cycle engine.
Old 12-06-08, 11:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
A lot of people that I have talked to who have seen the car say that it looks almost exactly like the ES but with somewhat squished proportions.

Interesting thought, I guess.
I am hoping it has more hybrid-distinct looks. By that I mean it can have more futuristic proportions. But hopefully it's not too conservative or ugly.
Old 12-07-08, 05:14 PM
LexFather

Its amazing how we don't even have a true glimpse of it yet. With gas prices plummeting, this will lower sales forecasts/projections.

I wonder what volume is expected for this vehicle?
Old 12-07-08, 08:59 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its amazing how we don't even have a true glimpse of it yet. With gas prices plummeting, this will lower sales forecasts/projections.

I wonder what volume is expected for this vehicle?
Not necessarily. I'm sure there are Lexus owners that want a Lexus vehicle but also want fuel economy of a Corolla or Yaris.

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11