HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 08:33 AM
avensis03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few words

Well, the HS250h won't come to Europe. I read an interview that had been conducted with a Toyota Europe boss at the Paris Motor Show. He said that the car which will be introduced in Detroit, won't come to Europe, because it has "too high emissions for Europe". That probably means that it won't be any better than a diesel with similar performance.

There was a hint of a smaller Prius-based Lexus-hybrid which would come in 2010 and that car would be for Europe also. The HS250h isn't based on the Prius, it's a bigger vehicle.
Old 11-27-08, 08:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by avensis03
Well, the HS250h won't come to Europe. I read an interview that had been conducted with a Toyota Europe boss at the Paris Motor Show. He said that the car which will be introduced in Detroit, won't come to Europe, because it has "too high emissions for Europe". That probably means that it won't be any better than a diesel with similar performance.

There was a hint of a smaller Prius-based Lexus-hybrid which would come in 2010 and that car would be for Europe also. The HS250h isn't based on the Prius, it's a bigger vehicle.
I disagree. From what I've heard and what I theorize this car is more for Europe than the American market. Lexus pretty much will sell mostly diesels in Europe. The majority of Lexus sales are diesels and hybrids, not petrol. Lexus has stated they want more sales in Europe (I forgot the amount) but more than the 25-40k a year they have sold recently.

There is no way a hybrid has high emissions for Europe b/c hybrids have the lowest emissions in Europe and the world!

I mean, Lexus sells the IS-F there, which has much higher emissions. Odd they don't sell the 350 there though.
Old 11-27-08, 09:10 AM
avensis03
Driver School Candidate

I found this short version of the interview:

A new, larger dedicated hybrid model planned by Toyota's luxury brand will not come to Europe.

Karl Schlicht, Lexus Europe's president, said the larger hybrid's CO2 emissions would be too high for European buyers.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2008...310029916/1130
Old 11-27-08, 09:14 AM
LexFather

Avensis, I believe the article is saying that the HS is coming, but ANOTHER larger hybrid sedan is not
Old 11-27-08, 09:47 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I have to say is: please don't make it ugly!! (with big ugly windows)

Last edited by lex; 11-27-08 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-27-08, 10:03 AM
avensis03
Driver School Candidate

It looks pretty much confirmed that there are two Lexus hybrids coming in 2009-2010:

The "Prius-based" and the "larger dedicated hybrid model".

The only remaining question is which of those two is the HS250h?

I think it's the bigger one, but 1Sicklex seems to disagree, so we have to wait for Detroit to find out if the HS250h is based on the Prius or not.
Old 11-27-08, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Why not just do a hybrid version of the IS250? Thay way, all these questions about what it would look like, how it would be styled, and (maybe) what the pricing would be already answered. True, the RWD version wouldn't have much in the way of the FWD traction that the Prius and Civic Hybrid have, but if they can do a hybrid IS AWD and fit the drivetrain in (the AWD hardware, of course, is already there), the traction problem would be addressed as well.
Old 11-27-08, 10:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by avensis03
It looks pretty much confirmed that there are two Lexus hybrids coming in 2009-2010:

The "Prius-based" and the "larger dedicated hybrid model".

The only remaining question is which of those two is the HS250h?

I think it's the bigger one, but 1Sicklex seems to disagree, so we have to wait for Detroit to find out if the HS250h is based on the Prius or not.
I am 100% positive the HS is based on the Prius. I believe even Lexus has stated that.

I am confused what "larger hybrid" is that article talking about?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why not just do a hybrid version of the IS250? Thay way, all these questions about what it would look like, how it would be styled, and (maybe) what the pricing would be already answered. True, the RWD version wouldn't have much in the way of the FWD traction that the Prius and Civic Hybrid have, but if they can do a hybrid IS AWD and fit the drivetrain in (the AWD hardware, of course, is already there), the traction problem would be addressed as well.

The issue with the GS/LS is where to put the batteries. They are sandwiched behind the rear seats and trunk, which kills trunk room. Lexus has made adjustments for 2009. The IS has a smaller trunk which would get even smaller.

This HS will have the batteries along the floor, which will greatly increase cargo room and trunk space!
Old 11-27-08, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The issue with the GS/LS is where to put the batteries. They are sandwiched behind the rear seats and trunk, which kills trunk room. Lexus has made adjustments for 2009. The IS has a smaller trunk which would get even smaller.

This HS will have the batteries along the floor, which will greatly increase cargo room and trunk space!
Yes, I agree, there can be a space issue. Technology, of course, is allowing batteries to made more compact all the time, but perhaps not (yet) small enough to be grafted into some designs.

How about this? Just put the batteries in the IS250's rear seat and seal them off...make it a 2-seater. You and I both agree that rear seat in that car is just about worthless anyway.

(Just kidding, of course, but an interesting thought).
Old 11-27-08, 10:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I agree, there can be a space issue. Technology, of course, is allowing batteries to made more compact all the time, but perhaps not (yet) small enough to be grafted into some designs.

How about this? Just put the batteries in the IS250's rear seat and seal them off...make it a 2-seater. You and I both agree that rear seat in that car is just about worthless anyway.

(Just kidding, of course, but an interesting thought).
Honestly Mike, makes some sense. Make a true 2 door coupe, hybrid. Batteries help with weight distribution!
Old 11-27-08, 02:55 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I have heard of two different engine possibilities one was a Camry based 2.4 L and another was the new Prius based 1.6 L (not sure if 1.6 or what). IMHO the 2.4 is lot logical at all as that would mean only .1 L added by electric. I go more along with the Prius based power plant. Looking at the shape of the HS250h the front does not match with what I have seen for the Prius at all. I would just hope for two items 1) Prius like gas milage I got 48 MPG average owning it almost four years. 2) If anyone gets gifted to be able to add additional batteries ie: hymotion I was going to add hymotion or comparable to my Prius.
Old 11-27-08, 06:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will the HS250h be a precursor to the next/3rd gen Prius?
Old 11-27-08, 06:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people that I have talked to who have seen the car say that it looks almost exactly like the ES but with somewhat squished proportions.

Interesting thought, I guess.
Old 11-27-08, 09:38 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I find it kind of interesting what Lexus is doing.......
Old 11-27-08, 09:40 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I have heard of two different engine possibilities one was a Camry based 2.4 L and another was the new Prius based 1.6 L (not sure if 1.6 or what). IMHO the 2.4 is lot logical at all as that would mean only .1 L added by electric. I go more along with the Prius based power plant. Looking at the shape of the HS250h the front does not match with what I have seen for the Prius at all. I would just hope for two items 1) Prius like gas milage I got 48 MPG average owning it almost four years. 2) If anyone gets gifted to be able to add additional batteries ie: hymotion I was going to add hymotion or comparable to my Prius.
It's a 250h.... I don't know if they'll go as small as 1.6 litres. The new AR engines would be a good fit. The 2.5 litre that'll be going into the RAV4 and Camry will be ideal. De-tuned it by running it on the Atkinson cycle then recover the hp with the battery and electric motors. Keep in mind that the RX450h now uses an Atkinson cycle for the engine.

So my guess is the 2.5 litre engine.

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11