Hawaii and Guam For events in Hawaii and Guam

Visiting Hawaii in September...

Old 08-05-08, 08:30 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Visiting Hawaii in September...

Well I posted this in Pacific and a lot of them suggested I post it here

I've never been, and my friends taking me for her birthday. Her friend works for an airline so theres a possibility we may be able to fly for free if we use stand-by tickets. That would mean there would need to be 2 open seats on the flight.. I wonder how common that is on a flight to Hawaii? We don't mind flying at off-peak times/days. My main concern is what island to stay on. My aunt lives in Kona and shes told me before I'm welcome to stay with them whenever I'd like.

My friend wants to go snorkeling. I've read online that Oahu is a good spot to go for "nightlife" and theres a lot to do around there... but thats on a different island than Kona. I definitely want to go in that shark cage thing and I saw they have one at North Shore.

I'm really looking for a spot thats got some clubs/bars that are open kinda late with some stiff drinks, nice beaches, and fun **** to do. If that DOESN'T sound like Kona, tell me please. It would be nice not having to pay for a hotel.. but to be honest I wouldn't mind dishin out the cheddar if its gonna put me in a preemo spot to have some fun!!

*edit: I'm really leaning towards Oahu. I'm just not exactly sure where to stay. I don't want to be in a desolate area.. but I'd also love a beautiful beach to spend a romantic night/day. Also will we be needing to rent a car? I'm not sure the distances from everything. I know the Shark cage thing I wanna do is in North Shore but I think thats a ways away from Honolulu? Also as far as renting a spot.. condo or a hotel? We're both young so we're trying to ball on a budget.. but I wouldn't want to stay in a bad spot... so please ANY money saving tips throw them this way.

Do's and don't's... tips and advice....??? hit me with it!!

Last edited by T.K.O.; 08-05-08 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-05-08, 10:09 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

How long are you staying? Sounds like you should get a hotel in Waikiki (night life, shopping), take a day trip to the North Shore (Shark adventure), and go island hopping over to Kona (aunt). A trip to the North Shore only takes about an hour, but has alot of stuff to do and see on the way, as well as the Polynesian Cultural Center for a tour and dinner show.

Let us know the dates and maybe a few of us can take you on a day trip.
Old 08-05-08, 10:28 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

We're planning to stay around 4 or 5 nights... sometime during the week of:

MON/15th through FRI/19th

though I found a pretty good deal ($430/person total RT) on tickets for days:

TUES/16th through MON/22nd (that would be 6 nights)

Her birthday is on the THURS/18th, that way we'd get her b-day and a weekend in our trip. That sounds like a fair price to me and I like flying off-peak. So you suggest staying at Waikiki? Any particular hotel? I really don't want to be shopping, cause we all know that leads to overspending! Also I'm not really interested in seeing my Aunt... unless its for a free stay... I'm not a bad nephew.. we're just not that close. If a trip to the North Shore takes about an hour, that means I'll need to rent a car? Also how much does "island hopping" cost? If any of you would be open for a day trip I am definitely down that would be AWESOME... ( especially if we can stop somewhere and get some accessories for my 2GS.. I hear bippu is pretty poppin over in HI ) Anyway I need to get this trip booked TODAY because I need to let my boss know when I'm leaving...

Step #1: Decide on flight... check
Step #2: Decide on hotel
Step #3: Book flight/hotel
Step #4: Start planning

So now to pick the hotel...
Old 08-05-08, 11:14 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely stay on Oahu. Waikiki would probably be the most convenient. If you end up staying on the Big Island (Island of Hawaii) you will probably be disappointed considering you are looking for nightlife. The same could probably be said for all of the other islands as well.

Island hopping is awesome, as each island offers different activities/things to see.

As for hotel choice, though, it kind of depends on what you want. Do you want a really classy joint? Or are you just looking for a place to crash/shower? Some relatives of mine always stay at the Marriott on Kuhio Avenue. Not the nicest, but they seem to like the deal they get.

If you want a more intimate place, the Ihilani in West Oahu is nice--but would require a bit of a drive into town for night activity. In Waikiki, there is the Halekulani which is nice but expensive as well as the Moana Surfrider and Sheraton Waikiki (these two should be less expensive but decent).

Also expensive but a little more exclusive would be the Kahala Mandarin. Somewhat closer to town but not in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of Waikiki.

And last but not least, Turtle Bay Resort is also quite nice, but it's actually closer to the North Shore than town.

Have a great trip.

Last edited by chrisyano; 08-06-08 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-05-08, 11:18 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Halekulani hotel is a great hotel to stay in Waikiki if you want the best experience. Another popular location is Ala Moana hotel.. but generally speaking, most of the major hotels are nice to stay in. And yes, if you're visiting for the first time, Polynesian Cultural Center is a must. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-05-08, 11:28 AM
St.204
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uras300
Halekulani hotel is a great hotel to stay in Waikiki if you want the best experience. Another popular location is Ala Moana hotel.. but generally speaking, most of the major hotels are nice to stay in. And yes, if you're visiting for the first time, Polynesian Cultural Center is a must. Good luck and enjoy.
my working place :P

oh you mean Shark's Cove yeah its on the North Shore like 3 mins away from Waimea beach.

go hike up diamond head crater the view is awesome :thumbsup:

maybe CLH should have a show and shine??

Last edited by St.204; 08-05-08 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-05-08, 12:03 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Well keep in my we may be staying for 6 nights.. which seems right.. since its a long flight and I don't know how soon I'll be back.. but that means the hotel cost goes up... so when we're talking $200/night for 6 nights.. $1200 for a crash pad ain't ideal

I've heard renting condos could be a much better deal? Or maybe we'll just have to stay for less nights? I'd hate to have to scarafice time to spend on the island because of a high priced bed.
Old 08-05-08, 02:16 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely stay in Waikiki....as chris mentioned....Waikiki Beach Marriott is good....just cross the street and your on Waikiki Beach....admire the sunset...and at night, on 2nd floor of the hotel is Sansei Sushi....on weekends...its 1/2 price everything on the menu after 10pm...with free Karaoke...and $3 beers. Age group are mid 20s to 40s that hangout after clubbing. Another one is Side Street Inn (near Ala Moana Shopping Center)...good eats...but long lines if you come late.

Learn to surf on Waikiki Beach....I believe there are classes...you can sign up on the beach or ask your hotel.

I'd rent a car when u really need it....daily parking at Waikiki Beach Marriott is $30 p/day. Check your travel agency for good rates....since hotel occupancy is going down....there are great rates to be found.

Go to Hanama Bay to snorkel with the sea life there.

Shark's Cove in North Shore...sounds exciting...I just hope you aren't the seasick type.

Go to Paradise Cove (next to J.W Marriott Ihilani Resort & Spa) or Polynesian Cultural Center (in Laie) for a luau and cultural experience.

Hike up Diamond Head crater...nice scenery.

As with any place...even paradise, there are dangers. Don't leave personal belonging in the backseat of your car...your just asking someone to steal it.

Pete
Old 08-05-08, 05:55 PM
VIP_ES300
Lexus Test Driver

turtle bay for the beautiful beach/ romantic night
Old 08-05-08, 07:23 PM
St.204
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VIP_ES300
turtle bay for the beautiful beach/ romantic night
if youre planning on staying there. but yeah Lei Lei's restaurant at Turtle bay is DA BOMB!!!. but yeah some of the scenery is good..................
Old 08-06-08, 12:27 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

If it's just a crash pad you're looking for, then you may want to look into some of the vacation rentals available. There should definitely be some good deals available...even in the hotels since occupancy rates are down somewhat these days as Pete mentioned.

I also recommend the hike up Diamond Head Crater. Not much of a hike but there's a great view of the city from there. The circle island drive is another great way to spend a day.

If the lava is flowing, and you do make it to the Big Island...that's worth checking out at night especially.
Old 08-06-08, 01:18 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

forget diamond head hike, do the makapuu lighthouse hike, view is nutz! i'll post a pic tmr.
Old 08-06-08, 09:56 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

OKAY So I think I decided what we're going to do...

On the real I just want to fly in and have a hotel stay as CHEAP as possible. We won't be in the hotel much at all.. and the whole point of the trip is to experience the island not the hotel decor. The cheaper the flight & hotel stay are.. the more money we have to spend on activities/necessities on the island. Check this deal out...

Arrive at Honolulu airport at 11:16 AM on TUESDAY Sept 16th.

Stay at the Castle Maile Sky Court (3.5 stars on Yahoo customer reviews) for 6 nights, with daily free continental breakfast (probably fruit and a pastry lol).

Leave the Honolulu airport at 1:10 PM on MONDAY Sept 22nd.

Total price for flight + 6 nights stay: $575/person

Now if we wanted to opt for a hotel that has slightly better reviews.. but still nothing near even decent lol.. we could do the Aqua Aloha Surf & Spa for $615 each... but like I said.. I kinda just want to get on the island and stay for as cheap as possible.. that way theres more funding for activities. I think what I got up there is a bangin deal. The package also includes a cheesy Lei greeting and roundtrip transfers from the airport to the hotel. The reviews say the hotel is less than 10 minutes walk from the beach and I love walking anyway so its not a problem for me... so unless someone strongly advises not to go with a cheap hotel.. I'm gonna book it. I'll wait til I get a few responses before I pull the trigger.
Old 08-06-08, 11:50 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

I'd stick with the Maile Sky Court. Its in the heart of Waikiki and closer to shopping and night life than the Aloha Surf.

One word of advice that I STRONGLY recommend, wear sunscreen. Even if it doesn't seem hot, trust me, you will feel it after a couple hours. So the best advice I can give you is to use it and apply often.

One thing you might want to check out is Pearl Harbor. Get there early (6:00am). The Arizona Memorial, Battleship Missouri, Pacific Aviation Museum, and the USS Bowfin (submarine) are all there.
Old 08-06-08, 12:01 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

If the Sky Court is the one I'm thinking of, that's a great place to stay. And the price is right!

Pearl Harbor is a great suggestion by Todd. I second that. If you do go island hopping. Kauai has Waimea Canyon and really nice park above it/below it--but I can't quite remember the name offhand right now. It's our own little "mini grand canyon".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Visiting Hawaii in September...