Hawaii and Guam For events in Hawaii and Guam

Scion Evolution ~ 4th Annual School supply Drive Kick Off May 25

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 12:55 AM
viplex_gs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 4th Annual School supply Drive Kick Off May 25

...scion evolution would like to invite you guys once again for a good cuase to comeout and to support the event and make this event even larger than the past events. As you know many bad things have been happening in Hawaii and the need for school supplies this year has doubled., with the closing of Aloha, ATA and Molokai Ranch.
...we got OK to do a show and shine...

let me know if you guys are interested.

Last edited by viplex_gs; 05-02-08 at 01:04 PM. Reason: scion evolution actually not holding the event
Old 04-29-08, 01:03 AM
St.204
Lead Lap

so do we just drive to this meet and bring school supplies or do we have to sign up???

soooo much stuff this month 5/18 meet then this and then the end of the month bbq on the 31st............
Old 04-29-08, 01:16 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thx sonny for posting this up, i got a email from marshall about this and it totally slipped my mind.
Old 04-29-08, 02:19 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

ya do we just show up with some school supplys and support the cause. or do we gota sign up saying we're coming and all that?
Old 04-29-08, 10:09 AM
viplex_gs
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by St.204
so do we just drive to this meet and bring school supplies or do we have to sign up???
Originally Posted by weesped
ya do we just show up with some school supplys and support the cause. or do we gota sign up saying we're coming and all that?
if yaz wanna, ya can just drive up to drop off the donations (at least $10min.)
...but if ya wanna display your ride(s) and rep your club/team for the show & shine, then please contact marshall/SEH or ask judd (llamaboiz)
...or lemme know so i can give SEH 'nuff headsup of whoever wanna display their ride(s) (limited space available) &/or help support the drive.
this my 2nd year to help out SEH with the activities. M/SEH is targeting not only car enthusiast, but the public as well for donations....so if ya can spread the word, the more support for the cause the better!

Originally Posted by Marshall~SEH
Primary Point of Contact: Marshall Lum 808-753-2938 (Event Committee)
Secondary Point of Contact: Kory Kuhns 808-371-1783 (Event Committee)
R2L Program Manager: Scott Morishige 808-440-3803 (Helping Hands Hawai‘i)
Old 04-29-08, 10:51 AM
St.204
Lead Lap

imma spread the word EVERYWHERE booo my car isnt worthy for a show and shine
Old 04-29-08, 11:51 AM
viplex_gs
Lead Lap

Cool

imma spread the word EVERYWHERE booo my car isnt worthy for a show and shine
much mahalo bro! no worries, if ya got time checkout the event and some of the rides that will be displayed lol
Old 04-29-08, 12:17 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

*from Marshall Lum*

Objective: To collect school supplies for Helping Hands Hawai‘i "Ready To Learn Program" for underprivileged children and their families. This event is open to the public with a special focus on charitable giving through cash and school supplies donations. All proceeds will be given to Helping Hands Hawai‘i. With the recent article in the Honolulu Advertiser specifically highlighting Helping Hands Hawai‘i as one agency that is facing cutbacks in the near future, it is imperative that support for these types of agencies continue with renewed energy.

The event is also looking for individuals, organizations and businesses to set up their own School Supply Drive campaigns within their group prior to the event on the weeks of May 12th to May 23 and have donations dropped off at the event on May 25. We are also looking for event volunteers.

Please contact us if you are interested in organizing a drive or volunteering.

History of the Annual School Supply Drive: The Annual School Supply Drive is solely organized by a group of individuals of a car club “Scion Evolution Hawai‘i Chapter” as a way to give back to the community of Hawai‘i. Rather than doing the normal food drives other car clubs were already doing, the club wanted to do something different for the kids of Hawai‘i. The event was first held back in 2004 with the help of Servco Scion Hawai‘i at the Old Costco location in Salt Lake then it was moved to the Servco Dealership in Mapunapuna. It started off as a small car show where other car clubs and car enthusiasts were invited to show their cars and bring donations of school supplies. Since then the event has evolved and is now in its 4th year.

About The 4th Annual School Supply Drive: This year’s event is not focused on just gathering car enthusiasts, but also in getting the general public, businesses, and other organizations involved in donating and making it Hawai‘i’s largest school supply drive ever at a more centralized location at the Aloha Tower Market Place. This year 3 major sponsors came aboard (Aloha Tower Market Place, Scion Hawai‘i and Hawai‘i Superferry). Lion Dancers from Gee Yung International Martial Arts Dragon and Lion Dance Association will be performing. Also, donors will have a chance to win a free trip on the Hawai‘i Superferry with a donation to R2L. (not needed to be present to win Hawaii Superferry Trip). In addition, there will be a chance to win a 2008 Scion XD from Scion Hawai‘i with a free pull on their slot machine. Donations will be collected on the sidewalk at Aloha Tower and also can be dropped off at various shops at the Aloha Tower Market Place.

About Helping Hands Hawaii “Ready to Learn”: Ready to Learn (R2L) provides needy students from kindergarten through high school with new pencils, pens, notebooks, and other basic school supplies to better prepare them for learning in the new school year. Last year, R2L assisted
R2L is based on a simple concept: Children who do not have basic school supplies are at an immediate disadvantage at the beginning of the school year. To provide these necessary supplies to needy children from kindergarten through high school Helping Hands Hawai‘i works with referring partners such as government agencies, social service agencies, community organizations, non-profit organizations and churches. R2L is a program recognized by the Hawai‘i Department of Education.
R2L was first initiated by Senator Dan Inouye in collaboration with Helping Hands Hawai‘i in 1999. The program was very successful over the years and as of 2005, Helping Hands Hawai‘i is coordinating the full program effort. Based on the unique and inherent ability of Hawai'i's people to willingly share available resources, R2L operates entirely on community contributions and relies on a cadre of dedicated volunteers.

To receive supplies from R2L, public and private social service agencies submit applications for their clients based on verified needs. R2L primarily operates as a seasonal program and is largely dependent on contributions from major corporate sponsors.

Aloha

Marshall Lum
Old 04-29-08, 11:58 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What we used to do with Toys for Tots was meetup at some nearby location, cruise to the event and park together. Then, we'd all take the toys and make the donation.

Maybe this can be a similar rollout. Meet at Kakaako, rollout at drive to ATM, and all take our donations all together. ? ?
Old 04-30-08, 02:16 AM
St.204
Lead Lap

^^great idea, make everyone go "look at those nice cars" then we can walk all in one line like the space cowboys movie upon boarding the rocket ship. that would be sick!!!!!

what would you guys say is the most used and most important supply(ies).
Old 04-30-08, 02:34 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tod071
What we used to do with Toys for Tots was meetup at some nearby location, cruise to the event and park together. Then, we'd all take the toys and make the donation.

Maybe this can be a similar rollout. Meet at Kakaako, rollout at drive to ATM, and all take our donations all together. ? ?
actually that sounds like a plan to me love it when someone else plans for a change (even thou its the first time AND from a lurker who never shows up to meets )
Old 04-30-08, 10:00 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I'll coordinate and plan it, but you guys are still the "gameday" boys!
Old 04-30-08, 10:04 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

what would you guys say is the most used and most important supply(ies).
We always end up buying tons of composition books and they always run out (can you tell my wife's a teacher?). So I'd say composition books, folder paper, notebooks, and #2 pencils would be the most used in that order. But for the less fortunate, used backpacks might not be a bad idea.
Old 04-30-08, 03:22 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Wow!!! Sounds like a great idea Todd! Plan the meet and lets get it to work.
Old 04-30-08, 08:08 PM
VIP_ES300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tod071
We always end up buying tons of composition books and they always run out (can you tell my wife's a teacher?). So I'd say composition books, folder paper, notebooks, and #2 pencils would be the most used in that order. But for the less fortunate, used backpacks might not be a bad idea.
we can give used backpacks? i have a couple from elementary school

Quick Reply: Scion Evolution ~ 4th Annual School supply Drive Kick Off May 25