Hawaii and Guam For events in Hawaii and Guam

What to see and do in Oahu?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 01:28 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to see and do in Oahu?

a CL member asked me to post this on here (Faymester)
she is in Oahu until the 30th and would like to ask you guys what theres to see and do in Oahu

shes young and a crazy party animal so hopefully that gives u some indication of what she likes
she likes driving of course too

many thanks in advance on her behave
Old 04-26-08, 04:18 PM
St.204
Lead Lap

hit up zanzibar night club. go rent a car and driver tantlus drive go to the beach and learn to surf. also snorkel, hiking and beautiful sunsets.............
Old 04-26-08, 04:42 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend the circle-island drive. There are a lot of great beaches and scenic spots to see along the way. A great way to spend the day and appreciate the beauty Hawaii has to offer.

Driving Tantalus is great as well. I used to really like doing that until they closed off one side. Now you have to go back the way you came and I prefer a single run-through. I actually really like the view from one of the lookouts (which is now at the far-end of the drive).

Hanauma bay is another place to check out. It's a fish and wildlife preserve, so there are a bunch of fish that are used to people swimming right next to them. I think you can still feed them--but now you have to buy "approved" feed.

The short hike up Diamond Head is not much of a hike, but the views of the city from that vantage point are pretty nice.
Old 04-26-08, 05:12 PM
sixseven1
Driver

check out the helicopter tour. My sisters loved it when they visited.
Old 04-26-08, 10:15 PM
pimplux808
Pole Position

FEMME NU DINER

great food .. . best service in town ... .they really know how to treat a customer !
Old 04-26-08, 10:23 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrisyano
I'd recommend the circle-island drive. There are a lot of great beaches and scenic spots to see along the way. A great way to spend the day and appreciate the beauty Hawaii has to offer.

Driving Tantalus is great as well. I used to really like doing that until they closed off one side. Now you have to go back the way you came and I prefer a single run-through. I actually really like the view from one of the lookouts (which is now at the far-end of the drive).

Hanauma bay is another place to check out. It's a fish and wildlife preserve, so there are a bunch of fish that are used to people swimming right next to them. I think you can still feed them--but now you have to buy "approved" feed.

The short hike up Diamond Head is not much of a hike, but the views of the city from that vantage point are pretty nice.
tants has been open now so u can go all the way around for a couple months now...i'm up there all the time haha. we really need a friggen track.

Peace out
Old 04-26-08, 10:33 PM
sixseven1
Driver

Originally Posted by pimplux808
FEMME NU DINER

great food .. . best service in town ... .they really know how to treat a customer !
Electros for some after diner entertainment
Old 04-27-08, 12:31 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

If she likes to drive, take a drive out to Ko'olina and check out the beach. Amazing sunset, being on the west side, and the sun setting in the west.
Partying is good, but just be careful. Zanzabar is a happening place, like St. 204 mentioned.
Old 04-27-08, 03:27 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pimplux808
FEMME NU DINER

Ohhh... clublex meet at femme nu diner.... would love to see the non-single guys try to swing that, the lies that would be told to get out of the house
Old 04-27-08, 03:32 AM
240swapped
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Ohhh... clublex meet at femme nu diner.... would love to see the non-single guys try to swing that, the lies that would be told to get out of the house
i think my cousin eric told me about that place. he said there are 2 places in the world you are guaranteed to get laid if you're trying: Disneyworld and Femme Nu Diner. it may be a different place though.
Old 04-27-08, 10:46 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

thanks everyone for the suggestions
now i wish im in hawaii too
Old 04-27-08, 07:54 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

she emailed back saying shes going on the heli tour tomorrow
Old 04-28-08, 10:57 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is she on the Big Island? If so, or if she can get to that Island for a day or two there is no better time then right now to take a helicopter or airplane tour around the volcano and see the lava flow. It is really flowing right now. You literally get to watch land being formed and grow as the lava reaches the ocean.
Old 05-01-08, 10:34 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up I LOVE your islands!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Here's what ended up happening.

I stayed in Waikiki @ the Princess Kaiulani Sherton: decent hotel, little on the older side but what ever it was nice anyhow.

The Food:

I ate Round Table Pizza! That has got to be the best commercial pizza I have ever bought; thin crust, not overly cheesed, great!

Went to the Cheesecake Factory: I never knew they had more than just cheesecake, and their food is great too ... and OMG the drinks are huge! (and totally worth it)

Dim Sum at the place under the Hyatt; reasonably good, they gave me a fork which I thought was funny.

Outside the Royal Hawaiian on the main street rite there (Kalakaua Ave I think it is) there are a couple food places in the new mall they're building (looks like it's going to be a great mall). One place, a sushi place on the 3rd floor, is quite good; they have some sushi that we don't have in Vancouver, good decor, good sushi & sashimi. The other place, on the 1st floor, has some quite good fish dishes; I had Mahi Mahi (love that fish) and for something completely different I liked that too .

The Shopping:

Wont spend too much time on this; your shopping in that area is good, somewhat like what we have in Vancouver and I definitely bought a few more things than I thought I should.

ABC Stores: HOLY COW THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

Stuff we did:

Keeping in mind it was my self and my mother; even though I learned my partying from my mother I'm not going to club with her etc .

Helicopter tour: big massive huge thumbs up. You get to see a lot of stuff from the air which is cool if you're not from there (and even if you are, I've taken the local helicopter tour in Vancouver and I live here). I recomend this, and I recomend the longest time up there. We did a slightly shorter tour because we didn't know how good it would be. Take the long one.

Beaching: a local told us to tan in the morning so we did. Good idea, less crowded, not so insanely hot, and I did NOT get burnned

Polynesian Cultural Centre and Island drive: The cultural centre is a cool idea because you get an over view of all the diferent islands and how they are different. Call me strange for going to learn things on vacation but I enjoyed it. I now know the difference between the various dances & costumes etc. I know for you guys that live there the cultural centre is probably very what ever (that's kinda how I view the cultural centres in Vancouver, but I think I view them differently after my vacation) but as a non-local, it's a good time.

We took part in the Luau @ the cultural centre but didn't get to stay for the after dinner show because we had to fly out @ 11pm. Once again the food was top notch. I had a pina colada out of a pineapple, basically I will never order another pina colada at home again.

The Drive part: Senic, nice, and yea the randomized beaches all along were cool. It's like, you're just driving along, and *oh there's a beach* ... and NICE beaches too, good sand, not busy.

Things to avoid!

Don't ever recomend to anyone something called the "Germaine's Luau". It was the absolute worst thing I think i've ever attended. The food was NASTY, the location is on a crap beach in an industreal park, the bartenders need drink making lessons. There are bugs! BUGS! and they totally went to town on my legs, not cool at all. And it was a horrible representation of Polynesian anything. All in all, avoid that one at all costs.

Lucy thing is, that horrible experience had no impact on my view of Oahu, just on a tour group called "Roberts Hawaii"; from what I can tell that tour group is very low brow.

Things I didn't get to do that I really wanted to:

Surf Lessons: There was a jelly fish advisory and I me not knowing anything about what to expect when they issue these warnings I opted to not go way out there. I've heard jelly fish stings are all kinds of not fun and I know I didn't want to experience that.

Night Life: Since I was there with my Mum I didn't get to club at all and I'd like to know about that.

Pearl Harbor: I don't need to learn anything more about Pearl Harbor to be sure, but I did want to go and have a look. It seems like it would be a cool thing to see.

Ways to solve this problem of stuff I missed:

ANOTHER TRIP TO THE ISLANDS!!!!!!!

All in all: I love your island(s) even though I only saw one, but I want to see the other ones too (Maui and the big island for sure).

I hope to come back next year, hopefully with a little more planning than 2hrs before I fly out (that's rite, between the time I decided to go to Hawaii and the time I got to the airport = 2hrs).

Old 05-02-08, 02:01 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope you do come back and visit again soon.

Originally Posted by Faymester
Outside the Royal Hawaiian on the main street rite there (Kalakaua Ave I think it is) there are a couple food places in the new mall they're building (looks like it's going to be a great mall). One place, a sushi place on the 3rd floor, is quite good; they have some sushi that we don't have in Vancouver, good decor, good sushi & sashimi.
I believe this restaurant is Suntory. The mall is called Royal Hawaiian Center (fka Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center). If you're into real traditional Japanese cuisine, there are a few great choices on Oahu. I don't really know about the neighbor islands though.

Quick Reply: What to see and do in Oahu?