Hawaii and Guam For events in Hawaii and Guam

Future Darwin Award winner....

Old 08-09-07, 11:54 AM
Chuckemtp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Darwin Award winner....

Please tell me that this asshat is not a member here!

Driver held after speed allegedly topped 100 mph
By Leila Fujimori / lfujimori@starbulletin.com

Police arrested a 21-year-old Honolulu man who was allegedly speeding at more than 100 mph and racing on the shoulder of the H-1 freeway, narrowly missing two motorcycle officers conducting speed enforcement.

One officer jumped out of the way of the oncoming car. The other officer clocked the man traveling at 107 or 108 mph in a Lexus, said Lt. Gordon Shiraishi, of the Traffic Division's Traffic Safety Section.

Police arrested Jacob Kalani Leo Estevez at 9:14 a.m. yesterday near the Hickam offramp of the H-1 freeway. Estevez was charged with excessive speeding -- a petty misdemeanor -- reckless driving, racing on the freeway at more than 30 mph over the limit, driving without no-fault insurance, driving without a license and inattentive driving. His bail totaled $3,000.

Estevez is one of many drivers arrested this year under the new excessive-speeding law that took effect Jan. 1, which makes driving 81 mph or more a criminal offense. For first-time offenders, penalties range from a fine of $500 to $1,000, up to 30 days in prison and the possibility of driver's license suspension. Stiffer penalties apply for repeat offenders.

Shiraishi said the driver was heading east at 9 a.m. yesterday on the left shoulder of the H-1 freeway near the Radford overpass. The officers, positioned on the shoulder, "observed a vehicle coming toward them in the same shoulder lane at a high rate of speed."

When the driver noticed the officers, he crossed over from the extreme left to the right side of the freeway and tried to exit at the Hickam offramp, police said. He lost control of the car and hit a barrier, causing minor damage to the Lexus, Shiraishi said.

Estevez's passengers told the officers he was racing with another vehicle, Shiraishi said.

Shiraishi said that he had not yet spoken to the solo bike officers involved, but said, "I'm sure they were surprised when this vehicle was coming at them in the shoulder."

"I give credit to these officers," he said. "They put themselves on the line every day."

Although the two officers were not available for comment, fellow solo bike officer Derek Pa said "it's kind of scary" being out on the freeway. "You need to be very alert of your surroundings."

When setting up for speed enforcement using laser speed detectors, officers are trained to set up where there are areas of escape.

© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://starbulletin.com
Old 08-09-07, 06:08 PM
webhed
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dingbat definitely takes the cake for his unsafe act. His penalty should consist of confiscation of his Lexus and put up for auction plus community service picking up road debris on the H-1 in addition to fines, tickets, etc
Old 08-10-07, 02:58 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good for that dumb ahole. I hope he gets some jail time.
Old 08-10-07, 06:01 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a dumbarse... then they say, 'we were racing another car...', doofus better have won atleast for all his trouble... BUT if you crash and get caught by the cops, cant really call that a win
Old 08-10-07, 05:20 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by webhed
Dingbat definitely takes the cake for his unsafe act. His penalty should consist of confiscation of his Lexus and put up for auction plus community service picking up road debris on the H-1 in addition to fines, tickets, etc
Community Service??? A few years ago two guys I know were caught smoking pakalolo on the beach. They had to clean a public park with one of the C & C workers for community service. I asked them how bad it was. They said that they just sat under a tree with the C & C worker and smoked pakalolo. So much for community service.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 08-10-07, 07:11 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larrym9681
Community Service??? A few years ago two guys I know were caught smoking pakalolo on the beach. They had to clean a public park with one of the C & C workers for community service. I asked them how bad it was. They said that they just sat under a tree with the C & C worker and smoked pakalolo. So much for community service.

Aloha,
Larry
Come on Larry lets go racing infont the town police station, hopefully we'll get some community service too
Old 08-11-07, 11:30 AM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

was the car stolen? i seen california plates on the car...

anyways, da braddah had some ***** to do what he did... i'm glad he got caught and i'm sure he'll get what he deserves!
Old 08-15-07, 12:35 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Jacob Kalani Leo Estevez plays airsoft...well used to. Hangs out at Power Edge lots. I never liked the guy. He always tries to make himself seem like a baller. There was some blang S(superman) badge on the sides of his GS, i wonder if someone stole it b/c i did not see it when his car was on the news.
Old 08-23-07, 07:39 PM
kleres
Driver School Candidate

hope that dude ends up in jail for a at least a couple weeks. also it wouldn't have been that bad if those cops were hit also. honestly i can't stand those airport freeway pigs. speeding or not, they will pull you over and give tickets for ANYTHING