Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse > Hall of Fame & Voting Booth
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: What gas do you use ?
Premium 408 83.10%
Midrange 34 6.92%
Regular 49 9.98%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Premium or Regular Gas ?

Old 03-14-06, 06:38 PM   #1
Aterrex
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Aterrex Send a message via MSN to Aterrex
Default Premium or Regular Gas ?

My dealer told me to use onlypremium gasoline. Thats exactly what teh Toyota dealer told me to use on the Land Cruiser too( which I dont I use costco gas). But this IS seems like its a high performance car. Should I really only use premium gasoline only ? And what gas do you guys use ?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

2006 Is 250 RWD tungsten pearl ,Nav , Mark Lev Audio ,18" rims

2003 GX 470 Nav, Mark Lev , Entertainment System.
Aterrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 06:43 PM   #2
redcell
Driver

not even a question. the manual says premium gasoline so thats what goes in...
redcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 06:47 PM   #3
accelerate
Lead Lap

yea it's in the manual, don't if try, if you can't offered the diff. you shouldn't have bought this car. Plus it's only like a few extra buks to fill.

accelerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 06:48 PM   #4
Aterrex
Driver

Send a message via AIM to Aterrex Send a message via MSN to Aterrex

I guess. But Im cheap what can I say. I used regular in the Landcruiser for years even though it said premium. No problems there. But it is a landcruiser. Im not opposed to the idea. Just wondering if the book is always right.

2006 Is 250 RWD tungsten pearl ,Nav , Mark Lev Audio ,18" rims

2003 GX 470 Nav, Mark Lev , Entertainment System.
Aterrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 06:50 PM   #5
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

my dealer (salesman) actually told me regular is ok, but the cheapest I'll ever put in is the mid-grade...mostly the premium.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 06:51 PM   #6
phish2112
Driver

this is an interesting question. of course most everyone will initially fill her up with the top shelf, but in a few years that may become increasingly more difficult due to gas prices. I tend to put a ton of miles on my car from a long commute. If you add those extra few dollars up over the course of a year thats pretty substantial. hence going back to the posed question "how much could it possibly hurt to use regular gas?" I think thats a tough question to answer. for now...I'm all premium until convinced otherwise.
phish2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 07:05 PM   #7
tim817
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerate
yea it's in the manual, don't if try, if you can't offered the diff. you shouldn't have bought this car. Plus it's only like a few extra buks to fill.
Yup, i agree with you. If u can afford a Lexus , why go cheap on the gas? Save your money and get a civic instead. My 2 cents.
Red-out taillights.
Lexus front lips.
10" infinity Basslink
tim817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 07:07 PM   #8
blkIS350
Driver

You can use regular but you will just loose some performance. I, myself, will be using premium. My dealer actually delivers every new Lexus on their lot with regular. Ask them next time you are there and I would be surprised if most dealers deliver their cars filled with premium.

I was actually shocked to hear my salesperson tell me that they deliver all their cars with regular, but I can see them doing this to save a few dollars per car they sell.
blkIS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 07:12 PM   #9
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

interesting fact....It turns out that E85 fuel boasts a 104 octane rating, more than five points over even the best premium unleaded gasoline.....I wonder what would happen if someone gassed up the IS with that stuff.

Last edited by bagwell; 03-14-06 at 07:17 PM..
Old 03-14-06, 07:12 PM   #10
mjdart
Driver

I wouldn't be suprised to find out regular grade fuel would work fine in the IS. With multiple O2 sensors, VVT-I, direct & port injection and all this computer controlled, I would imagine the car would just adjust to what it was fed. Of course you wouldn't get the full advertised horsepower, but for straight day to day driving I don't think you'd notice. I would just be more inclined to use a good fuel injector cleaner now and then.
8-Way Power Adjustable Seats
Heated Front Seats
Torsen Limited Slip Differential
Power Tilt / Slide Moonroof
Trunk Mat & Wheel Locks
28% Window Tint
Manufactured: 5/00 #1377
mjdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 07:16 PM   #11
Bobs SC
Driver

Does premium only apply to the IS350 ? Or is it for IS250 as well?
Bobs SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 07:20 PM   #12
Langdell
Driver

Only premium gas will go into my baby. I think it's wise to follow the manufacturer's recommendation on this--what incentive would Lexus have to tell owners to pay more than necessary for gas? Skimping on gas is probably penny wise and pound foolish in terms of long-term engine durability and performance. And it's not unusual for high-performance cars to require premium gas.

Aterrex, when you say you used Costco gas in your Land Cruiser, did you still use the high octane? That's what the IS owner's manual means when it says "premium" is required. Name brand gas is probably better in the long run than discount gas (which is basically a mix of leftovers, with no guarantee that the additives will be consistent). But the octane level is the more important thing. Also, if premium for the Land Cruiser is just what the dealer told you--rather than what the owner's manual actually called for--that makes a difference.

Anyway, I'm sure you will find the IS gets much better gas mileage than the LC. I came into my IS from a Mazda RX-8 with a thirsty rotary engine that absolutely required premium gas. It's nice having to fill my tank only once every 1 1/2 -2 weeks for a change!
Old 03-14-06, 07:23 PM   #13
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

good info on p384.

if premium is not available, you may use gas with octane rating of 87.
IS250: use of such gas wil cause persistant heavy knocking. If severe, this could lead to engine damage.
IS350: may cause the engine to knock or drastically reduce output to protect itself while driving under a heavy load. To avoid this, refuel with premium asap.
Old 03-14-06, 07:31 PM   #14
ChrisM910
Driver

Though its getting pricy, premium all the way
Old 03-14-06, 07:42 PM   #15
casey225
Pole Position

There was another post on this recently and someone said the higher octane has a more stable combustion which is better for the higher performance engines. When I put a supercharger on my 4Runner, it stated premium only. I used regular once when premium was sold out, and you can tell a difference, not huge, but noticeable.
casey225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 07:42 PM

Tags
2002, 430, 87, cruiser, es350, fuel, gas, georgia, is250, land, lexus, maxima, mileage, pennsylvania, premium, regular, worse