Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse > Hall of Fame & Voting Booth
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: What gas do you use ?
Premium 408 83.10%
Midrange 34 6.92%
Regular 49 9.98%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Premium or Regular Gas ?

Old 03-15-06, 08:12 PM   #46
fastball
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Gas station down the street from me sells 104 octane

It's $2.89/gal.... you think I could run the IS250 on it?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 08:22 PM   #47
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball
Gas station down the street from me sells 104 octane

It's $2.89/gal.... you think I could run the IS250 on it?
sure, good way to waste some money seriously, getting 91 and 93 i can understand, but getting race fuel is't going to help...... you are not driving a FI cars or so
Old 03-15-06, 08:54 PM   #48
CodyLexus
Driver

High compression engines require premium fuel to resist detonation. Also forced induction and advanced timing.
Old 03-16-06, 01:17 AM   #49
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I only use premium. I can't understand why somebody buys a $45k car and wants to save a few bucks a month. If you're that cheap by a friggin Kia!
Old 03-16-06, 02:09 AM   #50
Big Andy
Lexus Champion

I was running my IS250 on regular in the UK (which is 94 octane but I think the octane ratings are calculated slightly differently between the US and Europe) then I switched to premium which is 97 octane. The difference is definitely noticable with better pick up. Since we are currently paying over $6 per gallon over here, reading a debate between paying $2.60 or $2.80 a gallon in the US somewhat passes me by!
Big Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 03:36 AM   #51
mcfly
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy
I was running my IS250 on regular in the UK (which is 94 octane but I think the octane ratings are calculated slightly differently between the US and Europe) then I switched to premium which is 97 octane. The difference is definitely noticable with better pick up. Since we are currently paying over $6 per gallon over here, reading a debate between paying $2.60 or $2.80 a gallon in the US somewhat passes me by!
The petrol used in the US vs that used in Europe is EXACTLY the same. The only difference, as you mentioned, is the rating system.

The US uses the (RON + MON)/2 method, where Europe only reports RON.
mcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 06:53 AM   #52
fastball
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominl
sure, good way to waste some money seriously, getting 91 and 93 i can understand, but getting race fuel is't going to help...... you are not driving a FI cars or so
We have some local race tracks around my side of town, and alot of people here have dedicated race cars (like a gutted 78 Camaro with nothing but a seat, roll cage, and a 780 hp nitro burner), so there's enough demand around here for the good stuff for one gas station to cary it.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 01:37 PM   #53
Aterrex
Driver

Send a message via AIM to Aterrex Send a message via MSN to Aterrex

I just bought premium fuel. *cries* and i got a mountain dew. But its honestly not that bad. I spend more money it turns out on regular gas just fot the Land Cruiser than i do on the Is. Is has mad good gas milage for someone used to the 15 mpg highway on the Land Cruiser. So Im happy. I beat out my first 325 today on the way back form an errand. Pure Bliss.

2006 Is 250 RWD tungsten pearl ,Nav , Mark Lev Audio ,18" rims

2003 GX 470 Nav, Mark Lev , Entertainment System.
Aterrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 03:28 PM   #54
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default The IS250/350 engines are designed to use...

91 octane or higher. If you put a load on the engine like going up a steep grade with extra folks in the car with you and you have 87 Octane the gas will preignite due to the lower burn temp. of the regular with great torque demand on the engine.. This is not good. The 12 to 1 air/fuel ratio is very lean and gives you the excellent gas mileage. I would let anyone run the older LX470 (Land Cruiser) engine on regular but never would I let an owner put it in the IS250/350. The price spread is not that significant anyway compared to the consumption of a heavy truck. Why would someone buy a performance sedan and then feed it the wrong diet? If anyone answered the poll with under 91 Octane then they should protect their investment and go to high test immediately. Put the regular in the Land Cruiser. BTW if an engine is designed for regular then it won't run well on Premium either. Some lawn mowers are designed for regular. If the mower is filled with Premium by mistake it will be very hard to start due to the higher burn temp of the Premium. DO NOT USE Regular in your IS.

Rock
Rockville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 09:20 AM   #55
casey225
Pole Position

I know some have calculated the improved gas mileage and efficiency of premium gas offsets the price difference. Also, for the same incremental price difference between grades ($.08 - .10) you only go up 2 in the octane rating from reg --> mid, but go up 4 from mid-->prem. So I would consider that more BANG for your buck - literally and figuratively
casey225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 06:35 PM   #56
JamRWS6
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey225
I know some have calculated the improved gas mileage and efficiency of premium gas offsets the price difference. Also, for the same incremental price difference between grades ($.08 - .10) you only go up 2 in the octane rating from reg --> mid, but go up 4 from mid-->prem. So I would consider that more BANG for your buck - literally and figuratively
With the 250 running a 12.0 compression ratio and the 350 only slightly less it is just ignorant to put regular fuel in these cars. Honestly, if you can't afford the few extra dollars each time at the pump why would you buy this car?
Knock/Pre-ignition is a FAST way to kill a motor.

'07 GS350
-Starfire Pearl | Cashmere

'10 RX350
-Starfire Pearl | Cashmere
JamRWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 10:33 PM   #57
LSUFanMan
Driver

Premium ONLY! Read manual and fuel door.
35% Tint
Red Out Tails
LSUFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 10:39 PM   #58
Jhoo
Rookie

Default for those penny pinchers

So heres my solution to those who are having a hard time biting the bullet on premium. Sign up for the citibank dividends credit card and you get 5% back on purchases made at gas stations, grocery stores and drug stores, 1% on all others.

That makes that $2.60/gallon only $2.47.
Jhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 06:41 AM   #59
Aclarke
Driver

In NJ, we can't fill up our own tanks so somehow the dude put a full tank of REGULAR in my car 2 weeks ago... WHAT A PERFORMANCE DOWNGRADE... My car lacked all zip that it once had. Once I refilled with Premium... everything was gravy again
Old 03-20-06, 08:19 AM   #60
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I only use Premium gas in my 350. My previous vehicle (which I still own) is a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged 3.8) which also required premium and thats what it got every time I filled her up. Even now that its pretty much a beater car I still put premium gas in there. Any car that requires premium fuel tends to also get better fuel economy with it so the money you save on gas is not as much as you would think. The added inconvienience of having to stop and fill up more often as well as the risk of damage to the vehicle should be incentive enough to use premium fuel without question IMO. You might be ok on regular on a cold winter day, but you'd be asking for trouble if you had it in your tank on a hot day with your AC blasting. Especially if you start going up an incline or decide to open up the throttle. You're almost garuanteed to have pinging and/or a lot of knock retard.
Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 08:19 AM

Tags
2002, 430, 87, cruiser, es350, fuel, gas, georgia, is250, land, lexus, maxima, mileage, pennsylvania, premium, regular, worse