Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse > Hall of Fame & Voting Booth
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: What gas do you use ?
Premium 407 83.23%
Midrange 33 6.75%
Regular 49 10.02%
Voters: 489. You may not vote on this poll

Premium or Regular Gas ?

Old 03-15-06, 09:18 AM   #31
Lets Drive
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHound
Exactly. With the higher compression you need to have a more accurate explosion. 87 octane is more unstable as compared to 93 octane.
Lol, I think the words "controlled burn" would be more accurate than "explosion" when describing the igniting of the A/F mixture, lol
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Lets Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 09:23 AM   #32
Aterrex
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Aterrex Send a message via MSN to Aterrex

Quote:
Aterrex, when you say you used Costco gas in your Land Cruiser, did you still use the high octane? That's what the IS owner's manual means when it says "premium" is required. Name brand gas is probably better in the long run than discount gas (which is basically a mix of leftovers, with no guarantee that the additives will be consistent). But the octane level is the more important thing. Also, if premium for the Land Cruiser is just what the dealer told you--rather than what the owner's manual actually called for--that makes a difference.
I actually know a Toyota mechanic personally and he said the Land Cruisers or LX engines can use 87 octane and get away with it fine. Well, I talked to the dealer today. Nally lexus if you guys live in the Atlanta area. He said Mid range is fine. But hearing your arguments for 93 octane rating and weighing the facts that my daily driving is about 70 miles a day. I will most likely go to a 93 octane rating. Now Another question i have. Do certain gas stations make a better mixture of gas and synthetic chemicals ? I just go to the Bp on the corner. But does anyone have any preferances ?

2006 Is 250 RWD tungsten pearl ,Nav , Mark Lev Audio ,18" rims

2003 GX 470 Nav, Mark Lev , Entertainment System.
Aterrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 09:25 AM   #33
yellowssm
Lead Lap

I wish we had 93 in las vegas
yellowssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 09:31 AM   #34
Lets Drive
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aterrex
Now Another question i have. Do certain gas stations make a better mixture of gas and synthetic chemicals ? I just go to the Bp on the corner. But does anyone have any preferances ?
I use any top tier detergent gasoline, most preferably Shell V-power 93octane (do to my cars unique engine and boost). However, I think most any brand that offers fuel additives above that which the EPA specified is good for any engine.

A few years ago, BMW, GM, Honda and Toyota ran their own test and arrived at the conclusion that these types of additives are beneficial.

Check it out here for more detail:
http://www.sfrcorp.com/notice.asp?NoticeID=4
Old 03-15-06, 10:01 AM   #35
thph27
Driver School Candidate

I switched from Shell V-Power to BP 93 octane. My car seems to run much better on the BP gas.
thph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 11:22 AM   #36
kensteele
Lexus Champion

If you were going to buy, at a great price, a used IS350 with 50,000 miles on it and the one owner original owner told you he used regular gasoline everyday since day 1. He had read in the manual where it said premium, but it's all the same. Will that be cash or cashier's check?

I'm pretty cheap myself but I'm not stupid. The risk is too high for me with the risk being measured strictly in dollars. Premium...every drop.
Old 03-15-06, 11:35 AM   #37
Jimmer350
Driver

I agree - Lexus wouldn't say to use XX octane if they didn't think that's what you should use. It's not like they are getting kick-back from the gas companies.
Old 03-15-06, 11:55 AM   #38
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

If the engine ecu is able to, it will retard the timing and you will lose power and gas mileage (IS250 doesnt appear to do this). So the benefit of using regular octane to "save" money is lost in lower MPG. Besides....when you have to mash the pedal to get out of a situation, I want all my performance to save my behind...

Aircraft recip engines require 100 octane low-lead...would you want the pilot putting in 87-93 octane just to save money?
1999 GS300 Nakamichi, factory hids, factory spoiler, pearl white, Tanabe NF210 springs, 01 tails, L-Tuned grill, L-Sportline body kit, Polarg m4 NRL, L-tuned exhaust, HRE 540R 19's-summer shoes, Brembo BBK MUAAHAHHA
sockfocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 11:59 AM   #39
Lets Drive
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockfocks
If the engine ecu is able to, it will retard the timing and you will lose power and gas mileage (IS250 doesnt appear to do this). So the benefit of using regular octane to "save" money is lost in lower MPG. Besides....when you have to mash the pedal to get out of a situation, I want all my performance to save my behind...
Yep, most modern ECUs will just retard timing or do so when the knock sensors pick up detonation in order to prevent damage to the engine. I know the highest octane we get on this part of the east coast is 93, but other parts of the country see 91...neither will really harm the motor as its all engineered within its tolerance. However, with higher compression ratios or boost applications it makes sense to run higher octane fuels if its recommended.
Old 03-15-06, 12:13 PM   #40
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, I cant beleive that people would put regular in a high performance car that says "Premium unleaded only"

The car requires it, and that should be enough. If you dont put in premium, you are not only lowering your performance, you are risking the life of your engine. You should also realize that lower octane gas than required may result in lower fuel efficiency. (I remember reading this somewhere, Something to do with the way the timing is retarded, though I dont have a source, if I am wrong, then I apologize)

So lets put it in perspective,
$2.40 for regular x 14 gallons
$2.60 for premium x 14 gallons = $2.80 or a little more than 1 gallon of gas.

23MPG on 93 = 322MPT
21MPG on 87 = 294MPT a difference of 28MPT, or a little more than 1 gallon of gas.

So in effect you didnt save anything, and you are risking the life of your engine.

You should also realize that when you switch from premium to Regular, you hurt your motor. Since the car has to realize its knocking before it adapts to the lower octane fuel.
tqlla3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 12:20 PM   #41
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Send a message via ICQ to OneOfOne Send a message via AIM to OneOfOne Send a message via Yahoo to OneOfOne

it amazes me that people would even consider not putting in the recommended fuel. I mean how stupid is it to worry about AT MOST an extra 3.40 more per tankful? thats assuming 20 cents more for 17 gallons. amazing.
very luxurious and tech laden
OneOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 12:23 PM   #42
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

I quit looking at gas prices last year....too many worries..I put in 20-30 at a time and however far it gets me, so be it, then do it again....
1999 GS300 Nakamichi, factory hids, factory spoiler, pearl white, Tanabe NF210 springs, 01 tails, L-Tuned grill, L-Sportline body kit, Polarg m4 NRL, L-tuned exhaust, HRE 540R 19's-summer shoes, Brembo BBK MUAAHAHHA
sockfocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 12:29 PM   #43
Vmdc
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla3k

So lets put it in perspective,
$2.40 for regular x 14 gallons
$2.60 for premium x 14 gallons = $2.80 or a little more than 1 gallon of gas.

23MPG on 93 = 322MPT
21MPG on 87 = 294MPT a difference of 28MPT, or a little more than 1 gallon of gas.

So in effect you didnt save anything, and you are risking the life of your engine.

You should also realize that when you switch from premium to Regular, you hurt your motor. Since the car has to realize its knocking before it adapts to the lower octane fuel.
Well said tqlla3k Now that's something all of us can understand.

Premium Top tier for me in my IS and in my V-rod!
Vmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 12:33 PM   #44
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)

just as pointed, the cutting edge technology on the car (engine related) and the high compression, you need premium gas. normal gas will work, but you might get pinging and such, so why?

and like tqlla said, between premium and regular, gas mileage aside, with normal driving you might be spending 200 bucks more a yr..... that's for ONE YEAR. this is not against anyone (it's valid to ask these types of questions and understands why we need premium gas), but if someone says he needs regular gas coz' he's too cheap to pay for premium (all for that 200 bucks a yr), then personally i am not sure if he should have gotten this car....
Old 03-15-06, 12:54 PM   #45
Lets Drive
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominl
the cutting edge technology on the car (engine related) and the high compression, you need premium gas. normal gas will work, but you might get pinging and such, so why?
Actually, the cutting edge techonology is what allows people to run both regular and premium gas. The engines computer can adjust for both, and do so just fine at the sacrifice of a small bit of performance. Most premium brand makes though advertise premium gasoline because it coincides in most peoples minds as "better"...when in fact it just designates octane rating. A better car needs better gas is the idea, and it raises the hp level by a few digits on the window sticker. The myth is definately exploited for its lucrative properties rather than its practical ones showcasing real world results.

Unless the engine is using forced induction, I wouldn't say its the threat some are making it out to be, but for peace of mind people will go with whats recommended, even if its for marketing purposes. As I wrote above, premuim grade gasoline like 93 octane here is not available in other parts of the country. Todays engine has to be able to adapt.

Also the fuel mileage differences aren't going to be that radical...you'd sooner see worse MPG numbers though underinflated tires before you would be able to calculate anything from running regular. Conversely, you wouldn't get better gas mileage if your engine was designed for regular and you decided to run premium.
Old 03-15-06, 12:54 PM

Tags
2002, 430, 87, cruiser, es350, fuel, gas, georgia, is250, land, lexus, maxima, mileage, pennsylvania, premium, regular, worse