Selling my baby

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 03:39 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Selling my baby

Selling my 04 GX 470. I live in Las Vegas, I have installed the Xenondepot kit on this beauty and have babied this truck. Its one of three cars I drive so miles are low 9-10k per year. Those on the GX forums know me because I contribute alot. I have all service records and the 20k mile service was just done. 1 year and 16k miles are still left on the warranty. All services were done by Fletcher Jones Lexus, everyone knows me there so you can call and verify. They know how **** I am about cars.

Here is my autotrader ad. Clublexus members I will sell you guys my truck for $42,995k even. KBB has it around 47-52k.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TAFSRCHUSDTEXT

Dont worry guys I will still haunt this website and contribute when I can. I hate to say it but I am getting into a BMW 550i. My wife however will carry on the Lexus tradition by buying a new RX.
I wanted her to keep my GX but she wants a smaller SUV. I still have a 997 911 Carrera S to drive.

Last edited by Tony; 01-11-06 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-11-06, 03:57 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony
Selling my 04 GX 470. I live in Las Vegas, I have installed the Xenondepot kit on this beauty and have babied this truck. Its one of three cars I drive so miles are low 9-10k per year. Those on the GX forums know me because I contribute alot. I have all service records and the 20k mile service was just done. 1 year and 16k miles are still left on the warranty. All services were done by Fletcher Jones Lexus, everyone knows me there so you can call and verify. They know how **** I am about cars.

Here is my autotrader ad. Clublexus members I will sell you guys my truck for $45k even. KBB has it around 47-52k.

Dont worry guys I will still haunt this website and contribute when I can. I hate to say it but I am getting into a BMW 550i. My wife however will carry on the Lexus tradition by buying a new RX.
I wanted her to keep my GX but she wants a smaller SUV. I still have a 997 911 Carrera S to drive.
Why the move to the Bimmer ? Sorry if this appears to be prying, but just curious about the move from an SUV to a sport sedan... Did you see this coming, or just a spur of the moment decision ?
Old 01-11-06, 04:28 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default I drove a M5

I drove 06 E55 and M5 in one weekened and it made me want to go back to a sports sedan. I drive the Porsche mostly for the weekends because it sucks as a daily driver. It would be nice to have a compromise of comfort and sportiness that the GX470 and the Porsche provided as a daily car. I considered the GS430 but they are going to upgrade that engine next year and the trunk opening is to small. The 550 is a great car, although I know Ill be in the dreaded BMW service shop often. I have not dropped Lexus from all my cars however, my wife will be getting a RX soon. She drives a Toyota Sienna XLE limited minivan and wants something lower than the GX since she is rather short. M5 is to hard to get and E55 is still to expensive so 550 comes in 1-1.2 seconds behind those two cars and is more civilized for daily driving. I can use my Porsche for adrenaline rushes on weekends.
Old 01-11-06, 04:51 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default As a former BMW guy myself I am VERY surprised (m)

I had the prior (E39) 5 series and ran-as fast as I could- from the new E60 designs. While I know this is only my opinion, I find them to be very, very unattractive, especially on the inside, which seems to be made of thin and cheap plastic. Completely devoid of luxury. And, don't get me started on iDrive!!
Have you checked out an E500? Pretty quick and far nicer looking? Or, what about a used E55? I can understand the desire for a sporty car, but how can you give up luxury & an interior that is at least attractive?
I am at the other end of the equation- I've got an E500 and have a GX on order. Here in NY the roads beat the crap out of you and the winters can be really bad. This will be my first SUV, although my wife had 2 Jeep GCs before her current van, which like yours is a Sienna XLE ltd w/ AWD.
Old 01-11-06, 06:16 PM
batmobl
Rookie

Hey Tony, I have read a lot of your valuable posts and wanted to thank you for all the valuable information. I had an E60 (2004) 530i. We traded it in when we had our baby in Sept 2005. Don't get me wrong, my wife and I both love the GX470. However, we do miss the BMW. I have no idea why people complain about the idrive. It was very easy. I think the idrive might be complicated in the 7 series but it is very simple in the 5 series. The car was a lot of fun to drive. I would pick definitely pick the 5 series over mercedes. If you haven't done so do check out www.e60.net. I found it really helpful. You will love the 550i. Congratulations!!!!!
Old 01-11-06, 07:10 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Gosh Tony, I hate to see you go! You really helped us a lot in here, thanks for everything you did here. Remember to come back and check us out sometimes. Surely Bimmer is a great choice, and I just wonder why not a M3(Faster and lighter)? It's almost the same price. But one thing for sure is that you need to spend a good amount of time to play with the i-drive. After all, I bet you would use your RX more often. Congratulations!!
Old 01-11-06, 08:24 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Jws3

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. I was glad to help when I could but I learned alot from you guys.

JWS3 yeah I was really skeptical about getting into the E60 model and have ignored them for the first two years since they came out. If you go to E60.net they have had their share of problems for the 545i and less so with the 550i. All I can say is after test driving the 550 now for about 8 times including the new M5, I am convinced BMW has built the best sports sedan with the perfect blend of sport ride and luxury ride. Every time I drive the 550 it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand out and a smile on my face. I used to own a 330i and M3 so sporty drives are kind of what I like. I live in Las Vegas where we hardly see rain, let alone snow, so for me, the GX was kind of wasted on the road although it felt so smooth on city streets. I never went off road with it. Now if I lived in NY or anywhere there was snow you better bet I would buy a GX over a 550. I can drive a two wheel drive sports car out here year round and not be wet once. The 550 has increased in luxury if you get the comfort seat package and premium packages. I drive on the 06 550 has been simplified, while its not as good as any Japanese brand it offers all the goodies they do. I checked out the E500 but just could not get into the feel of it. GS430 is going to be upgraded next year and trunk was to small.
Listen if it was up to me I would have 3 cars for myself and a minivan for my wife but she said I had to get rid of one car and it was between the GX and Porsche.

Anyways guys I will still check on this site often and will continue to contribute when I can and learn more from you guys. This is a great forum. I and DavidGX were the pioneers of installing HID lights for the GX and it was fun learning as we went. Since then DVD bypass thread has been going on I have learned so many cool ways of by passing Lexus Nav controls.

By the way I mis typed the amount that I would sell the GX for to the Clublexus members. 42995 is the price thats 2k off of my original price. My 550 comes in on the 17th so I got to sell the GX fast.
Old 01-11-06, 11:05 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Let me add my voice to those who are wishing you well in your move to the Bimmer. It is a very very nice sport sedan, and one that I will love to own myself, someday. You will enjoy it, and BMW is taking care of the maint. for 4/50K anyways.... So no need to worry about repairs. I learnt a lot from you and others on the GX forum on the HID install, even tho' I do not own a GX. Thanks to you and others, it made my HID install so easy. Actually, Tony, I printed out your connection diagram to the Toyota shop for the HID install, and that really helped calm the nervous guy down.... Check back on this forum and give us your 550 updates when you can. I will like to hear from a former Lex owner now BMW on the small nuances of ownership experience...

Good luck...
Old 01-12-06, 10:53 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony

Here is my autotrader ad. Clublexus members I will sell you guys my truck for $42,995k even. KBB has it around 47-52k.

Tony, Why do you only have 1 yr and 16k miles warranty left? Don't all Lexus vehicles come with 4yr/50K?
Old 01-12-06, 01:14 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Why get rid of the GX? it's only 2 inches longer & wider than the RX...not really an arguement for a smaller car there. I went from RX to GX...it was a no brainer and a much better move.

Guess the wife doesn't want your leftovers?
Old 01-12-06, 02:55 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There have been many articles and opinions about the lastest design by Chris Bangle of the BMW 7 and the 5 series. It is a love it or hate it reaction. Much like the latest Nissan designs, it is radical to say the least. I personally do not like it, the 7 series was by far the ugliest, and the 5 series was not as ugly and the 3 series is almost bearable. I must admit, I do like the Z series, but I have never been a roadster kind of guy. Despite of how it looks, it is one heck of a car. Its engine is a engineering marvel and the material used thru out is space age technology. BMW is not as relieable as the Lexus, especially the electrical system, but since the first 5 years of maintenance is covered, who cares? The bottom line is that, the new BMWs is one great driving machine. As long as you are one of those people who likes the new design.

Good Luck Tony
Old 01-12-06, 03:50 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Yes to all

Oh yeah I forgot the GX has 4years/50000 mile coverage.

RX vs GX for some reason my wife is intmidated by the GX dont ask me why. I still dont understand women and I have been married for 15 years. Its better just to say Ok and enjoy my own cars. Right now she loves the Toyota Sienna so much she does not want to upgrade. Fine with me since it frees up more money for my toys.

G man the BMW designs are certian contreversial but have you noticed every high end car maker is copying the trunk lid of the 7 series including the new Lexus LS, Merc S, Acura RL?
I drive sucks but its getting better and the 5 series has only four main menu options with more hard buttons for common controls. I drive is also being compied by several luxury brands like Acura, Merc, Infiniti and AUDI.

The only thing I can say is if you have not test driven the 550 its hard to explain why I would go back to BMW. I really like sporty driving cars and the 550 just gave me a rush all 8 times I have test driven it. It has all the newest electronic goodies like: Keyless entry with push button start, HUD, Bluetooth, MP3 playback, Ipod hook up, Satelite radio, Navigation with bird's eye view,
Active roll stabilization, Active steering, HID lights that turn and level.

It took a long time for me to get used to Bangle's designs but now I really think they look good. The 7 series is definitely a beautiful car since the new redesign and the M5 aerokit on the 550 makes it look as good as the M5.

No car is perfect but the driving experience of the 550 makes you forget the other problems when you corner at 45 and the car is flat with no tire squel. Im know for a fact the 550 is not going to be as reliable as the GS or LS but like someone said first 4 years is on BMW.

By the way guys Im going to pull the Xenondepot kit out of the GX this weekend since no one is buying it, Im going to trade it into the dealership. I would like to sell the 6000k kit for 240.00 shipped if you are interested email me colnago31@yahoo.com first come first serve. I take paypal at the same email address but contact me first.
Old 01-12-06, 04:31 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Holy crap dude, I can't believe you're selling an '04 GX for that much, am I missing something . That's more than I paid for mine brand new in November '04, and mine only has 13K right now. Anyway, good luck with your sale.