GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking at a CPO GX, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 01:13 PM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a CPO GX, need advice!

My wife and I are in the market for a new (used) sub. We currently have a 2009 MDX with 81000 miles. It's starting to have issues and various quarks ( annoying). She has mentioned the GX several times so I decided to look at them. I love the look and the reliability is impeccable compared to Acura. My only problem is in not use to buying a new sub with such high mileage. We are looking at a CPO Lexus GX 2012 with 56000 miles on it for 37500. Do I need to be concerned with the mileage on relation to the price? Also are there any issues or problems that lexus may have with the GX. Are the oil changes expensive? Thanks! If anyone has anything else to add that would be great.
Old 06-23-15, 02:23 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at a used 2012 GX

As to price and mileage. Is it a base, premium, or luxury model? What are the main options? That should help with the pricing. As far as car dealers are concerned 56,000 miles for three years is about average. For me I think 15,000 per year would be the miles to look at. Then check out online sites like true car.com, edmunds.com. Do not put much faith in kbb.
Old 06-24-15, 07:39 AM
mistabuyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please list the full specs, options and mileage can swing the pricing several thousands.
The 2010-2013 model years only have base or premium models. The luxury model convention did not come until the facelift in 2014.

Since you are looking at a Lexus CPO, the dealer should be able to print you out a "build sheet" and maintenance records. The build sheet shows the vehicles specs from the manufacturer and possibly any add-ons that were made by the dealer at the time of the original purchase. The Lexus maintenance history will show any service done at a Lexus dealership (this could include some of the reconditioning items they did during the CPO process - ie. door ding repairs, brakes, new tires, wax/detail). I think all CPO cars I looked at had the majority, if not all, of their maintenance done at the selling Lexus dealership, so the Lexus maintenance records can be extensive for a CPO.
Old 06-24-15, 08:49 AM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

The 2012 GX 460 Premium has 54460 miles on it. It's fully loaded with the exception of rear entertainment. The vehicle was a lease turn in, full maintenance records are available. It has had no issues or damage. We havnt gone and seen it yet so we are unable to tell what has been refurbished on it. Are these vehicles prone to any electrical issues (locks, A/C, Nav)? Like I said before, not use to buying a vehicle with mileage this high and 3 years old, but I'm confident in Lexus. Thanks
Old 06-24-15, 08:56 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

CPO should net you an extended warranty to 100k miles, so you will have that piece of mind. That said, the price seems a bit high to me (assuming its a base) for the miles. For a couple thousand more, you should be able to get something in the 30k mile range, or wait and shop for a better deal with those miles.

The OCI for the GX is 10,000 miles, so it's a bit more expensive because it's a higher quality oil, but it is offset by the decreased frequency (compared to 5k or 7.5k mile intervals). And if you have it done at the Lexus dealership, you'll pay a premium. You can likely save some money by having a Toyota dealer do the oil changes if that's an option. Or do it yourself.

Regardless of all that, you'll still pay less for service vs. any German brand. The maintenance costs will be comparable to Acura.
Old 06-24-15, 09:47 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiebertw
My wife and I are in the market for a new (used) sub. We currently have a 2009 MDX with 81000 miles. It's starting to have issues and various quarks ( annoying). She has mentioned the GX several times so I decided to look at them. I love the look and the reliability is impeccable compared to Acura. My only problem is in not use to buying a new sub with such high mileage. We are looking at a CPO Lexus GX 2012 with 56000 miles on it for 37500. Do I need to be concerned with the mileage on relation to the price? Also are there any issues or problems that lexus may have with the GX. Are the oil changes expensive? Thanks! If anyone has anything else to add that would be great.
You can have the oil changed at any Toyota dealership for less $. They have the oil and filters in stock. 0W20 full synthetic .
Old 06-24-15, 10:06 AM
mistabuyer
Driver School Candidate

If it's fully loaded minus the rear entertainment (and probably doesn't have the dynamic radar cruise control or wide-view monitor system or CRAWL), $37.5k (before taxes, fees) seems like a pretty good deal for a 2012 Premium CPO with 54k miles.
Old 06-24-15, 10:25 AM
mistabuyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stiebertw
The 2012 GX 460 Premium has 54460 miles on it. It's fully loaded with the exception of rear entertainment. The vehicle was a lease turn in, full maintenance records are available. It has had no issues or damage. We havnt gone and seen it yet so we are unable to tell what has been refurbished on it. Are these vehicles prone to any electrical issues (locks, A/C, Nav)? Like I said before, not use to buying a vehicle with mileage this high and 3 years old, but I'm confident in Lexus. Thanks
Just did an autotrader search. If the vehicle you are looking at is the white on sepia one at Lexus of Towson, that one is a base model with only the nav package (without Mark Levinson) according to their website description. From their pictures, I can tell its not the premium and also that it doesn't have the tow/hitch package but probably has the convenience and comfort package.
Old 06-24-15, 11:31 AM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mistabuyer
Just did an autotrader search. If the vehicle you are looking at is the white on sepia one at Lexus of Towson, that one is a base model with only the nav package (without Mark Levinson) according to their website description. From their pictures, I can tell its not the premium and also that it doesn't have the tow/hitch package but probably has the convenience and comfort package.
Your correct, didn't mean to put the premium in there, mistaked it for another one. Compared to my MDX the Lexus is "fully loaded", guess it has plenty of more options available. Any advice on the price? To high,what it should be? Not crazy about the leather, I prefer the light color. I plan on looking at more and taking my time, just want to be more educated on the vehicle before I go. Thanks