GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Aftermarket rear entertainment system

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 11:03 AM
meangene4
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket rear entertainment system

Just wondering if any of you guys went with an aftermarket setup instead of the factory. Did a search but nothing came up except older threads with the old invision setup. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-17-15, 03:05 PM
mistabuyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 GXs, one with the RES and the other without. For the one without, I have 2 ipads mounted behind the front row headrests (mount attaches to the headrest mount bars), so they are at about the same level and position as the factory RES. I much prefer this jerry-rigged system because the ipads are more versatile (can load a lot of games on them and also remove them from the mount for kids to play in their lap), have better screen resolution/graphics, and are brighter. The ipads also can sync with the car audio system through Bluetooth and if you have a cellular plan for them, you can generate a wifi hotspot for other devices.

Downsides to this setup would be that both monitors can't play the same video simultaneous (unless you sync it by hand/hit play at the same time), battery life limitations or you have to run power cables, not as stable as the factory system (ipads jostle a little over rough roads), and you don't have the audio/video source input or DVD capability.

I had thought about getting the aftermarket Rosen brand headrest system but on top of the high cost, the headrests themselves looked fat/bulky and it removed the active headrest safety feature. I saw that Rosen also had a seatback version, but decided that if I was going with non-headrest monitors, I should go with ipads because there are just too many advantages.
Old 06-19-15, 09:26 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Getting any Lexus vehicle with RSES is like seeing a unicorn. They make so few of them, and the dealers where I live never get any of them.

When I asked how hard it would be to get a GX with RSES, they laughed. It almost pissed me off to the point I would have just got up and left.

That being said, I took a 7" Galaxy Tab and loaded it up with a bunch of cartoons and movies for our daughter. I had to run the charging cable from the back 120v plug, but it looks good. So when the car starts, power is supplied and charges it as she is watching. Also, the sound hooks up via BT, so I get to listen to Sofia The First on my morning commutes.

Only downside I have seen so far with this setup is the summer heat. The tablets don't like heat, so it freaking shuts down and hibernates if it has been in the car all day in the sun. Usually I can get the A/C cold enough to get it to boot up.

DVD systems are really on the way out at this point anyway. Lexus needs to install the screens, but allow for SD/USB/media files to play.
Old 06-19-15, 11:01 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I ordered our GX with the RSES since I was ordering the Driver Assistance Package anyway. I almost didn't add it, as the previous poster put it, DVD systems are on their way out. That was until I read the fine print on the system in the 2014. This system's resolution is higher than previous models, and allows an HDMI cable input. That made enough of a difference for me, that I figured what the heck, vs the adhoc IPAD install that I have in the LS.

Having said all of this, I have a WiFi hotspot on the phone, and bring an Apple Tv box with us now for long trips and use that with the RSES due to the HDMI input. Makes a world of difference. On a lark, I brought a slingbox one time, and was able to watch live streaming Tv in the backseat.

At the end of day, it's your money and you choose how to spend it.

Randy B
Old 06-19-15, 05:01 PM
redbrick
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Randy...I've got the RSES....and love it. Yes, you can go the ipad route....so I've got both the ipad and the rses. The RSES is great for hooking up that console on a long trip. it's always great to have it when you need it, then not have it when you do...

...saw something that made wife and I chuckle the other day....someone was playing **** on their RSES on the road....never thought of that....now why would you go do that?
Old 06-19-15, 09:35 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

The RSES that i wanted for my 14" GX, but it wasn't available at the time I just finally got two iPad mini 3 mount on the back headrests last night along with the Apple TV stream video to the front Nav screen, I like the screen size and the revolution of the iPad better than Lexus RSES one.

Ps: you can do a lot more with iPad too like Facebook, games ect....