GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Navigation screen damaged,please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 05:02 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation screen damaged,please help!

I was coming home from Home Depot and had in the truck two long tracks for a closet, I Suddenly stepped on the brakes and the tracks hit the screen and took a piece of the upper plastic layer of the screen. The screen didn't brake but there is a noticeable piece that came off. I went to the dealer hoping that they had just the display but to my surprise it is all one unit including the plastic around it with a price tag of )$12,000. Is it possible to repair the display or get it from somewhere cheaper? I'm ready to jump out of my skin.Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-15, 05:19 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-Gx460-Radio-Navigation-2010-Complete-Part-8680560680-And-8643160540-/131490230346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e9d6db04a&vxp=mtr
Old 05-31-15, 07:29 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I was coming home from Home Depot and had in the truck two long tracks for a closet, I Suddenly stepped on the brakes and the tracks hit the screen and took a piece of the upper plastic layer of the screen. The screen didn't brake but there is a noticeable piece that came off. I went to the dealer hoping that they had just the display but to my surprise it is all one unit including the plastic around it with a price tag of )$12,000. Is it possible to repair the display or get it from somewhere cheaper? I'm ready to jump out of my skin.Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Check salvage yards, that sucks!
Old 06-01-15, 10:08 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing too, the plastic on the one on ebay it's scratched, too bad because it was a good price. I am willing to pay $3K for an used one.It looks like the top film or layer came off the display. The navigation Thank God is working fine and the screen didn't crack.
Old 06-01-15, 10:55 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I do believe that your car's comprehensive insurance may very well cover this. It's up to the insurance company to OK or deny it. Minus your deductible amount.
Old 06-01-15, 11:07 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

I thought about it, also the lexus parts manager suggested it too.
Old 06-01-15, 12:16 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nav screen damage, please help

Most insurance companies define comprehensive coverage as something that happens that is beyond your control, i.e. acts of nature (hail, floods etc). Also damage from vandals or stones flying up from the road and doing damage. It is my opinion that they would define your claim as negligence.
Old 06-01-15, 01:57 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
.... It is my opinion that they would define your claim as negligence.
So, if I hit a tree (hope that will NEVER happen) then it is negligence as well? He did NOT purposely damage the Navi so insurance would pay for it. That is why I have comprehensive coverage.
Old 06-01-15, 02:47 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is overkill but the price is right.
Maybe you could sell the other 19!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Toyota-Prado-LEXUS-GX460-NAVIGATION-LCD-TOUCH-SCREEN-lot-of-20-/301625066201?hash=item463a4142d9&vxp=mtr
Old 06-01-15, 06:59 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

This is amazing! They actually sell just the screen, just what I need! I am ordering it now, thanks so much for your help!!!!
Old 06-01-15, 07:35 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nav screen damaged, please help

For Go huskers: If you run off the road and hit a tree that claim goes against your collision and you pay your deductible. The claim goes against your insurance record and can result in a price increase. Comprehensive claim does not result in a price increase. File too many of them and they may refuse to renew that part of your policy. Please read your insurance policy booklet or discuss your coverage with your agent.
The three main coverages are Liability, Collision and Comprehensive. Each state what is covered under each category. I have been involved with insurance for 57 years and I believe I understand it fairly well. Also, one of the most important paragraphs on any type of insurance is the one labeled "Exclusions"!
Old 06-02-15, 06:22 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Thank you very much to everyone who contributed to this posting. I feel better that the screen can be replaced at a price I can afford. It is outrageous that Lexus sells the unit as a whole at that price. I found a video on the internet that shows how to remove the entire unit. Now I need to find out how to remove the screen from the unit and replace it with the new one. If you find any information about replacing the touch screen I would deeply appreciate it!
Old 06-03-15, 08:22 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

So I ordered the screen, it'll be here Monday. I've seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEPc...TUudJREXrWNH04
which shows how to remove the unit. It looks pretty easy, however I would love to find pictures or a video that shows how to actually remove the touch screen. If anyone has information or any tips that can help me I would really appreciate it very much. My wife thinks I am nuts for being upset for something like this, but I really think you may understand why I am upset and want to fix it, and somehow sympathize with me(I really need it!) Thanks again!

Last edited by MickeyS; 06-03-15 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-04-15, 05:49 PM
JDSTL
Rookie

I'd definitely call your insurance company. This would be a covered loss.
Old 06-12-15, 02:38 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

After so much anticipation, I went home today, took apart the navigation unit completely, it went smoothly and then looked at the part that was damaged and it wasn't the screen. It's in front of the screen, is not the actual lcd screen. I don't know what is called, some people call it the Touch Screen Digitizer Glass Panel. So after all that work I couldn't fix it. Now I have to find out if they sell that part. Thanks for all the help, if you know what is the name of the part and where to find it I will be very happy.

Last edited by MickeyS; 06-12-15 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Navigation screen damaged,please help!