GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Trying to decide on my next SUV

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-15, 09:11 AM
megs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide on my next SUV

Hello, first time poster here but have gone through many old threads.

I am trying to decide among the following SUVs. New GX460, 2015 Denali, and 2015 qx60. Right now I am driving a leased escalade. We are planning on buying our next vehicle bc I am averaging about 20k miles/year.

We have two young kids and two small dogs. Take a long distance trip 2-3 times a year. I am worried about losing some trunk space if we go with the Lexus but it looks like the Denali space has shrunk due to the new back seats.

Reliability is a top priority as I plan on driving it for at least 6 years. Hopefully more. Technology is important as we all love our gadgets. Rear entertainment a must too. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 02-21-15, 09:25 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Since you will be taking long distance trips 2-3 times a year, with 2 kids, a significant other, their luggage and 2 dogs, you are probably better off with the Yukon Denali. You are already somewhat familiar with the GM family of large suvs since you are leasing an Escalade. The Denali has more USBs ports, technology, power, etc. since it's a newer vehicle than the GX. It will probably not be as reliable as the Lexus in the long run, but then again, our GX isn't perfect either, no vehicle is. Skip the QX60, I haven't heard much good things about it, especially the CVT transmission. Hope that helps.

Last edited by 11GX460; 02-21-15 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Removed an extra period.
Old 02-21-15, 09:30 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yukon XL Denali?? Yes. And the 2015i (I think that's what they call it?) got an 8 speed transmission. I've read it totally woke up that 6.2 V8 and made it more friendly to drive at low speeds such as school zones. Which I remember my moms 08 escalades tranny being pushy in school zones so I was glad to hear that.

I would definitely skip the QX60. Why are you not considering the QX80? Maybe the Acura MDX?

My vote for the Yukon Denali. If you feel like it, check out an Acadia Denali. Although not as feature rich, they have a very decent third row.
Old 02-21-15, 10:41 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trying to decide on my next SUV

Strictly from a reliability point I do not believe you can beat the Lexus. Also believe the bumper to bumper warranty is a year longer. If you go with the Luxury Edition with air suspension the ride will be much better. As to options, power, size, that is strictly a personal point.
Old 02-23-15, 12:52 AM
Kitana
Driver

Meg I too was worried about cargo space when looking for my next SUV and started a thread on it. I was pretty set on the GX so I made it work. I purchased a small 4'x6' Cargo trailer and now we never have to worry about having enough space. My husband was skeptical at first but it was my money and SUV and I was not going to overload it for every trip. We travel almost every month. Everyone is comfortable on trips now, me, my husband, 2 boys and our large dog. The cargo trailer is small, lightweight and very easy to handle. You don't even feel it when towing and when unhitched a physically fit adult can move the trailer by hand. It fits right in our garage and when not in use we use it as extra storage space. I did not want to settle on a larger suv that gets even worse gas mileage or worse yet A VAN as someone suggested (seriously?) plus I did not need a giant vehicle for driving around town and don't forget the Toyota/Lexus reliability.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-question.html

I say get what you want. Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-23-15, 02:47 AM
redbrick
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your suv only needs to reliable for 6 years, then just about any luxury brand suv will do. Can't go wrong with any of your selections.
Old 02-23-15, 07:07 AM
megs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. There was only 1 GX460 in the country that fit my criteria- luxury model plus rear entertainment package so we had to make a quick decision. It's starfire pear with sepia interior- waiting for my hubs and our car guy to work out the details and then it should be on its way!