GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Seat Comfort - Questions, Problems, Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 06:55 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I miss the size of my Tahoe as compared to the GX but the quality of the GX is far superior in my opinion. I have had Tahoe's since 1998 and while I do like the GX and I don't think I'd ever go back to a Tahoe due to the price of them now.
Old 04-02-15, 09:37 AM
mohanman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I miss the size of my Tahoe as compared to the GX but the quality of the GX is far superior in my opinion. I have had Tahoe's since 1998 and while I do like the GX and I don't think I'd ever go back to a Tahoe due to the price of them now.
A Lexus is a Lexus, but man I love my Tahoe. So much more room, comfortable, better MPG. The GX felt like a toy compared to this monster. Anyways, Im happy now... so I don't have to come back to this forum and be offered back pillows.

Lates!
Mo

Oh.. and it takes unleaded regular, none of this premium crap.
Old 04-02-15, 10:22 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Probably wiser for you to drive a domestic car in Michigan anyway. Best of luck with that new beast.
Old 04-02-15, 04:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

This Chevy commercial caught my attention tonight.

Comparing the Chevy interior to the other luxury brands mentioned

Old 04-02-15, 07:42 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Uncomfortable Seats, GX 460

Can't identify with the Tahoe interior, however, my cousin has a new Cadillac and the interior is very cheap looking. There is tons of plastic and fake chrome trim in there. I have also seen a lot of GM products with a little age and the seats are all cracking in the leather department. Some of the products are actually bonded leather, which is the cheapest junk on the market. Will not hold up! Besides, I think this thread is worn out and should be buried.
Old 04-04-15, 11:51 AM
mohanman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Valley101
Can't identify with the Tahoe interior, however, my cousin has a new Cadillac and the interior is very cheap looking. There is tons of plastic and fake chrome trim in there. I have also seen a lot of GM products with a little age and the seats are all cracking in the leather department. Some of the products are actually bonded leather, which is the cheapest junk on the market. Will not hold up! Besides, I think this thread is worn out and should be buried.
Im back! Well actually I think you are wrong. Haven driven the gX for one month and since getting my new Tahoe, I can say the Tahoe's interior is much nicer. Softer, more plush, steering wheel better without that wood crap. My wife even said the seats are more comfortable. The cabin is quieter believe it or not, and the ride is actually smoother. yes Im comparing a 2015 to a 2011, but whatever. Ill write back in couple years to let you know how its holding up, but I don't care its a lease. Will get a new one in 3 years.
Old 05-25-15, 08:05 PM
PROV8
Lead Lap

I have a bad lower back and haven't experienced any seat discomfort in my 2013 model. I've taken several trips exceeding 4 hours and haven't felt fatigue. I also like the seating position.
Old 09-03-15, 09:33 AM
sjwadler
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 GX460 Uncomfortable Drivers Seat

I am so glad I found this forum because I was starting to think I was crazy; and I know I am making my husband nuts. But it's really sad that the seats in my 2005 Pilot are more comfortable than the Lexus. I am barely 5 feet tall and I think that is part of the problem. I realize that this is a "truck" but one would think that for what they charge for this vehicle they could do much better than this. The bottom of the seat (cushion) just doesn't seem to have enough padding and my left leg begins to ache. Also, between the bottom cushion and the bottom of the back of the seat seems to dip causing pain in my lower back. Going to try other ways to position the seat and also may try sitting memory foam pillow to see if I can get comfortable. Hate to think I may have to trade in the car but it really is starting to become an issue. Also, my son just bought a 2009 Tahoe and the seats are much better than the Lexus.
Old 09-03-15, 02:47 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default 2014 GX Seats

I have a 2015, but I believe there is no change from the 2014. With all the possible positions you can put that seat in plus the lumbar support, I find it hard to believe that people cannot find a comfortable position. The only exception I would state that if one has a disability it could be a problem. I travel to Florida and back each year and it is a 1065 mile trip each way for me and I find I am just as comfortable in my GX seat as I am when I drive my 2012 LS460. I am a rather old person with aches and pains, but it is not a cause for more aches, etc.
Old 09-07-15, 01:20 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sjwadler
I am so glad I found this forum because I was starting to think I was crazy; and I know I am making my husband nuts. But it's really sad that the seats in my 2005 Pilot are more comfortable than the Lexus. I am barely 5 feet tall and I think that is part of the problem. I realize that this is a "truck" but one would think that for what they charge for this vehicle they could do much better than this. The bottom of the seat (cushion) just doesn't seem to have enough padding and my left leg begins to ache. Also, between the bottom cushion and the bottom of the back of the seat seems to dip causing pain in my lower back. Going to try other ways to position the seat and also may try sitting memory foam pillow to see if I can get comfortable. Hate to think I may have to trade in the car but it really is starting to become an issue. Also, my son just bought a 2009 Tahoe and the seats are much better than the Lexus.
Hi,

I will give you a small advice, am a 2012 GX owner, that had a similar issue as yours, I ignored my body signs and tried to adjust the seat to make myself comfortable driving this car ... (check all my posts on the subject) ... 3 years later I am diagnosed with herniated disk !!! .... don't waste your time trying to figure out what is wrong with you or the car's seat ... that pain you get on your left leg could be due to a sticking disk on your back ... Get it checked ASAP ... it that is the case this car is not 4 u ..... Am not a heater of Lexus; am just an owner who simply ignored his body signs and now paying the price.

** IN PLAIN ENGLISH >> THIS CAR + SEAT + RIDE IS NOT FOR YOU IF YOU ARE GETTING BACK PAIN OR LEG PAIN ... PERIOD.
Old 09-14-15, 05:32 AM
mohanman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sjwadler
I was in the same situation, I immediately sold my GX 460 within a few weeks! Got a Tahoe 2015 instead. Awesome vehicle, better MPG, better comfort, no premium gas crap. My back and legs were hurting so much with the Gx. I tried to change the seat every damn time. It hurt! Why take the risk, you gotta be comfortable when driving, just sell it and take the loss. Luckily I only lost 700.00 when I sold mine.
Old 10-30-15, 06:32 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

update on the GX460 driver's seat.

today suddenly I feel that the GX460 driver's seat is no longer uncomfortable. it feels like the protrusion below the lumbar that was causing all the discomfort somehow got crushed and disappeared. the seat now feels pretty comfortable, after 1 year of driving it....
Old 10-30-15, 07:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Old 10-30-15, 08:11 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default Uncomfortable seat GX460

Glad to hear it! Maybe the seat did collapse internally or you finally got the callous in the right spot!
Old 10-31-15, 09:50 AM
M1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Valley101
I have a 2015, but I believe there is no change from the 2014. With all the possible positions you can put that seat in plus the lumbar support, I find it hard to believe that people cannot find a comfortable position. The only exception I would state that if one has a disability it could be a problem. I travel to Florida and back each year and it is a 1065 mile trip each way for me and I find I am just as comfortable in my GX seat as I am when I drive my 2012 LS460. I am a rather old person with aches and pains, but it is not a cause for more aches, etc.
I test drove the GX 460 three times. I also found the seat to be uncomfortable. The seat cushion felt too soft in the middle, with a stiff ring around the outside that dug into me. No amount of adjustment would fix that for me.

I bought a 2013 Land a Cruiser instead and find the seats to be more comfortable for me.

Different people are shaped differently, so it doesn't surprise me that what works for some might not work for others.

Last edited by M1911; 12-28-15 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Seat Comfort - Questions, Problems, Options