Seat Comfort - Questions, Problems, Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-15, 09:49 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Lightbulb Seat Comfort - Questions, Problems, Options

bought my 2014 GX460 5 month ago.
but still feel that the driver's seat is not comfortable.
it is the lumbar support.
even when the lumbar support is fully retracted, there is still some kind of a bump around it, sticking out to my lower back. and my back aches after a while.

its hard to believe that my 2007 Camry's seat is more comfortable than the GX 460.
I went back to the dealer and tested the seat of other GX 460, maybe the seat of my GX is stiffer than the others. Will take it to the service department to see if there is anything they can do to adjust it.

I did a search on the internet, but could not find any similar complaints. Any comments? Thanks a lot.
Old 02-08-15, 06:58 AM
fortytwo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try sitting in another one & see if same, then tell dealer?

Not an issue in mine, sorry.
Old 02-08-15, 08:00 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The seats in the GX aren't the most comfortable, but they aren't the worst either. It is a "truck" after all to some degree. The seats in a luxury sedan, or even the RX are better than the GX. Still, I don't find them uncomfortable to sit in for several hours.
Old 02-09-15, 08:23 AM
texas008
Advanced

Originally Posted by fortytwo
Try sitting in another one & see if same, then tell dealer?

Not an issue in mine, sorry.
thanks for the note, i tried another new GX460, its seat feels better. will let dealer service dept to take a look, thanks,
Old 02-09-15, 08:24 AM
texas008
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmccombs
The seats in the GX aren't the most comfortable, but they aren't the worst either. It is a "truck" after all to some degree. The seats in a luxury sedan, or even the RX are better than the GX. Still, I don't find them uncomfortable to sit in for several hours.
yes the truck is stiffer than sedan, will let the dealer take a look and see if they can adjust the seat a bit, thanks,
Old 02-09-15, 11:31 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The seats in my GX are far more comfortable than my LS 460.
Old 02-09-15, 08:42 PM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are certainly not alone, the GX's seats are horrible, seat back with anything less than a 88-90 degree with lumber at 0 or little inflation will give you trouble if you already have a weak back.

I have a weak back and owned all sort of cars, Land Cruisers, Range Rovers, Land rovers, MB, Prados Never ever I had a problem with any of these cars' seats till the GX came.

My mistake was that I didn't really test drive the GX for extended time and particularly in a stop n go traffic.
Old 02-10-15, 07:23 AM
texas008
Advanced

Originally Posted by Craig B
The seats in my GX are far more comfortable than my LS 460.
agree that GX460's seat is much higher and offers a nice view.
the big soft seat of LS460 feels more comfortable to me..
Old 02-10-15, 07:28 AM
texas008
Advanced

Originally Posted by emaratee
You are certainly not alone, the GX's seats are horrible, seat back with anything less than a 88-90 degree with lumber at 0 or little inflation will give you trouble if you already have a weak back.

I have a weak back and owned all sort of cars, Land Cruisers, Range Rovers, Land rovers, MB, Prados Never ever I had a problem with any of these cars' seats till the GX came.

My mistake was that I didn't really test drive the GX for extended time and particularly in a stop n go traffic.
I have the same feeling. I had no problem sitting & driving 10 hours in my camry's seat.
but my back can easily fatigue in the GX460 seat. it is the curvature of the back-support that's causing the strain.
My GX460 was in Lexus dealer service dept yesterday and they said it is normal and could not do any adjustment. I am contacting the Lexus customer service to see what they can do.
Old 02-10-15, 08:45 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
agree that GX460's seat is much higher and offers a nice view.
the big soft seat of LS460 feels more comfortable to me..
The new LS 460 seats are much better than the seats in my 2007 LS 460. The seats sit too low and there isn't enough padding in the seat cushions on my LS LS 460.
Old 02-10-15, 09:26 PM
fortytwo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I'm lucky that most of my driving is less than 20 min - we'll see how a long trip goes.
Old 02-11-15, 06:41 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seats uncomfortable in GX

I have owned four different Lexus vehicles including current 2015 GX. With the multi positioning of the seats, I have not felt any discomfort. My 2012 LS was naturally the most comfortable. I also owned a 2011 4Runner and heard a lot of the same complaints. Being able to tilt lower/raise the seat bottom and back I was able to find it comfortable. I have driven from Delaware to Florida and back with no problems. Maybe my body just fits the seat better. I am 6' tall and weight 200 pounds. Also owned a GS and an SC. The lumbar in the 4Runner did protrude slightly in the lower back for a short period of time and then it seemed to flatten out somewhat. Maybe the GX will do the same if you are feeling the discomfort.
Old 02-11-15, 09:41 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4Runner's seat is identical to the GX's I thought !

But for me, certainly the most comfortable position to my back is the least comfortable seat position I've ever used in a car. 90 Degrees, Flat seat bottom and zero lumber protrusion. Am 6' and 90kg

Drove the LX570 couple of months ago, and yes it's day n night when it comes to driver's seat comfort.
Old 02-11-15, 11:27 AM
texas008
Advanced

Originally Posted by Valley101
I have owned four different Lexus vehicles including current 2015 GX. With the multi positioning of the seats, I have not felt any discomfort. My 2012 LS was naturally the most comfortable. I also owned a 2011 4Runner and heard a lot of the same complaints. Being able to tilt lower/raise the seat bottom and back I was able to find it comfortable. I have driven from Delaware to Florida and back with no problems. Maybe my body just fits the seat better. I am 6' tall and weight 200 pounds. Also owned a GS and an SC. The lumbar in the 4Runner did protrude slightly in the lower back for a short period of time and then it seemed to flatten out somewhat. Maybe the GX will do the same if you are feeling the discomfort.
Thanks for sharing, hope the seat will get more comfortable
Old 02-13-15, 11:40 PM
meitzler
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driver Seat Unconfortable

I actually like the 2014 4-runner Limited driver seat better than my 2014 GX460 Premium. It is more firm, but comfortable over a long period of time. I actually like the leather better as well. You would think the Lexus would have a better seat, but in my opinion it doesn't especially for long drives (3 hrs+).

Quick Reply: Seat Comfort - Questions, Problems, Options