Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Trailer Hitch Ball Mount for Factory Receiver

Old 01-28-15, 12:19 PM   #1
broc3572
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Trailer Hitch Ball Mount for Factory Receiver

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I recently purchased a 2010 GX 460 Premium and it came with the factory installed trailer hitch receiver. The same one you see on all the GX's. Has anyone ever purchased a reese ball mount (or another brand) for their GX? Or do I have to buy that short OEM ball mount that I have viewed online. It seems like the hitch pin hole is only about 2" from the edge of the opening and it does not give you enough room to slide the ball mount in before you have to line the holes up to install the pin. I bought a Reese Elite Towpower ball mount and put it in, aligned the holes and put the pin in, however most of the ball mount bar (long part) is sticking out. Any help is greatly apprieciated.

Thanks,
Broc
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
broc3572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 11:48 AM   #2
Capirato
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to Capirato

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc3572 View Post

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I recently purchased a 2010 GX 460 Premium and it came with the factory installed trailer hitch receiver. The same one you see on all the GX's. Has anyone ever purchased a reese ball mount (or another brand) for their GX? Or do I have to buy that short OEM ball mount that I have viewed online. It seems like the hitch pin hole is only about 2" from the edge of the opening and it does not give you enough room to slide the ball mount in before you have to line the holes up to install the pin. I bought a Reese Elite Towpower ball mount and put it in, aligned the holes and put the pin in, however most of the ball mount bar (long part) is sticking out. Any help is greatly apprieciated.

Thanks,
Broc
Broc, I would suggest to push the ball mount into the receiver as far as it will go. It should hit the spare tire. The holes should line up by pulling the mount out a little bit. If they don't, mark the spot and drill new holes.

~ Cap
'06 MINI S | Pepper White
Capirato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 09:37 AM   #3
broc3572
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply. The holes do not even come close to lining up. Picture this. I put the ball mount in and push it all the way back to the spare tire. The hole on the ball mount is about 2" from the spare tire. The hole on my reciever is about 2" from the edge of where I insert the ball mount. For all intensive purposes the holes are about 5" or 6" away from each other. If I pull the ball mount out where the holes align, then 6" inches of the ball mount will be hangin out which does not work. Drilling a hole is not an option as I would have to take it somewhere to get it drilled. You cannot use a standard drill on these ball mounts. Surely I cannot be the only one with this problem. This is the same trailer hitch reciever that is on all the GX's out there. What ball mount do I need to buy?

Thanks,
Broc
Old 01-30-15, 10:07 AM   #4
JDSTL
Rookie

Mine came with a ball mount from Lexus that works fine and I also have a Reese Towpower 3 1/4" drop mount that works as well.

How heavy a trailer are you pulling? I'd think the Reese should work fine up to the trailer capacity of the GX.
JDSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM   #5
broc3572
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSTL View Post
Mine came with a ball mount from Lexus that works fine and I also have a Reese Towpower 3 1/4" drop mount that works as well.

How heavy a trailer are you pulling? I'd think the Reese should work fine up to the trailer capacity of the GX.
Here is the reciever that I have. Is this the same receiver you have?

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2012/2448.html

Is this the ball mount that came from Lexus?

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/4838.html

Is this similar to what yours looks like hooked up?

Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 21543 Class III Towing Starter Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 21543 Class III Towing Starter Kit: Automotive

I originally bought a Reese Towpower Elite with a 3 1/4" drop, however it stuck out way to far compared to the link above.

I guess I just need to buy one that is shorter overall.
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #6
JDSTL
Rookie

Yes to all of your questions. I don't use the Lexus one much as the trailer I pull most has a 1 7/8" ball which is mounted to the Reese. The 2" ball is on the Lexus mount.
JDSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #7
Capirato
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to Capirato

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc3572 View Post

I guess I just need to buy one that is shorter overall.
Broc, if I were you, I would go First Class and get the Ball Mount and the Ball from Sewell for about $60.

~ Cap
'06 MINI S | Pepper White
Capirato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM