GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Turn off open window warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 03:27 PM
bonanzanc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn off open window warning

Sometimes when carrying long lumber it is just necessary to leave the rear window open. But the warning beep is obnoxious. Is there a way to disable this?
Old 01-25-15, 04:12 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I have experienced this also. I doubt there is a way to shut it off due to the rear window is vulnerable to wind resistance.
Old 01-25-15, 06:19 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And when driving with the rear window open it draws in exhaust fumes inside the vehicle.
Old 05-25-15, 01:06 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Default override/disable open tailgate window warning?

I see this post occurred in Jan; has anyone figured out if you can shut off or otherwise override/work around the tailgate window open warning chime on the GX460 since then? Have a kayak that only fits when passed through the open tailgate window (won't fly out as it is attached to the kayak wheel cart, which is tethered to the hooks inside the vehicle...). I don't want to take the kayak off the cart or put it on the roof and am traveling only a short distance at low speed. Aside from the annoying constant chime, this set up works great...
Old 05-25-15, 11:58 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

I found the bypass. You just need to trip the latch and the GX thinks the hatch is closed. HA HA I fooled you Lexus.

Just remember to press the release button before you slam it on the closed latch.

Last edited by tecman; 05-25-15 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-06-15, 07:54 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman

I found the bypass. You just need to trip the latch and the GX thinks the hatch is closed. HA HA I fooled you Lexus.

Just remember to press the release button before you slam it on the closed latch.

Thanks, Tecman !!!

~ Cap
Old 07-07-15, 06:36 PM
sgrol
Driver School Candidate

Ran into the same situation with my truck. Wanted to leave the door open while working nearby to listen to radio but 'door open while key on' chime was annoying. Found same fix - close door latch with pen or screwdriver. Problem was I kept closing door with latch closed - not good. I removed door panel and found the two wires that went to latch. Spliced into each wire and ran to a switch I mounted on the inside of door. Now all I have to do is flip the switch and chime is turned off. So much better and very simple.
Old 07-07-15, 08:49 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like your idea. How difficult was it to remove the rear cargo panels to retrieve the 2 wires. What type of switch did you use-- aftermarket or oem type switch? I'm searching for a Lexus part/ brand switch to use for the override mode- any suggestion?

Can you post a photo of your setup?

Thanks
Old 07-08-15, 06:31 PM
sgrol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
I like your idea. How difficult was it to remove the rear cargo panels to retrieve the 2 wires. What type of switch did you use-- aftermarket or oem type switch? I'm searching for a Lexus part/ brand switch to use for the override mode- any suggestion?

Can you post a photo of your setup?

Thanks
Sorry, I was not very clear. I did the mod on my truck but I suspect the Lexus would be the same. I just used an on-off rocker switch that shorts the two wires out in on position to fool the vehicle into thinking the door is closed. You could also use a small toggle switch.
Old 07-08-15, 07:07 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sgrol
Ran into the same situation with my truck. Wanted to leave the door open while working nearby to listen to radio but 'door open while key on' chime was annoying. Found same fix - close door latch with pen or screwdriver. Problem was I kept closing door with latch closed - not good. I removed door panel and found the two wires that went to latch. Spliced into each wire and ran to a switch I mounted on the inside of door. Now all I have to do is flip the switch and chime is turned off. So much better and very simple.
Originally Posted by sgrol
Sorry, I was not very clear. I did the mod on my truck but I suspect the Lexus would be the same. I just used an on-off rocker switch that shorts the two wires out in on position to fool the vehicle into thinking the door is closed. You could also use a small toggle switch.
You are referring to the side doors on your truck. No problems with the radio on with the gate or window hatch open on the GX. The side door is going to chime with the radio on.

I have found that if the door chimes without the auxiliary power on, you can press the door button and it will stop.

Last edited by tecman; 07-08-15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-13-15, 05:54 PM
sgrol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
You are referring to the side doors on your truck. No problems with the radio on with the gate or window hatch open on the GX. The side door is going to chime with the radio on.

I have found that if the door chimes without the auxiliary power on, you can press the door button and it will stop.
I was referring to the side doors but the solution to the OP's problem should be the same as I outlined.