GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cell phone text messages not syncing with new iPhone 6

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 08:37 AM
seiclan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell phone text messages not syncing with new iPhone 6

I have a 2014 GX 460 and when I had the iPhone 5 the car used to "read" aloud the incoming text messages. This was a fabulous feature. Well, I just got the iPhone 6 and while it synced to the car easily, it no longer reads my incoming texts. Anyone have any idea what to do to remedy this?
Old 12-09-14, 08:51 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm beginning to think we just need to buy from another car maker if we want proper phone integration to work. Lexus advertises that they can read texts, emails, and that they have all these great enform apps.

The concepts are great, but Lexus isn't doing the updates that are required to keep these things running. The Enform apps are actually quite fun and useful when they are working. People may try to blame apple and android for changing things, but that is the nature of cell phones. Lexus has to do routine updates AND TESTING. They have done a horrible job in this area.

Reading Texts - FAIL. This is flaky at best.
Reading Emails - Fail - This is flaky at best.
Enform Apps (Pandora, Bing, Slacker, etc). - Horrible. I have to go to my phone each time I get in the car, and tap on the Enform app to get it to wake us and be recognized by the car.

Lexus makes a good car, but their electronics suck. If you want your electronics to work, don't buy Lexus.

I really like my GX, but the radio/electronics are horrible. The concepts are great, and if things worked as advertised, we would be a happy bunch. But, the implementation sucks. Lexus obviously doesn't care about this area.

Their people have to know about the issues above, yet fixes have not been provided. It's almost like Lexus personnel don't even use the features they designed.

OK, rant over for now...
Old 12-09-14, 09:15 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by seiclan
I have a 2014 GX 460 and when I had the iPhone 5 the car used to "read" aloud the incoming text messages. This was a fabulous feature. Well, I just got the iPhone 6 and while it synced to the car easily, it no longer reads my incoming texts. Anyone have any idea what to do to remedy this?
Let me try and actually help you. On your phone, go to settings then bluetooth. You'll see the car listed as a paired device. You'll see an "i" with a cirle around it. Hit that and turn notifications on. Now the next time you start your car and you get a text while you're in the car, it will read your text.
Old 12-09-14, 10:53 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does this work in a 2012? or just the 14-15 GX's?
Old 12-09-14, 10:55 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmccombs
I'm beginning to think we just need to buy from another car maker if we want proper phone integration to work.
Yeah just report back to us once you do that and realize how lucky you were that infotaiment was the only thing you had to complain about
Old 12-09-14, 11:14 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

I've got a friend who is on his second Audi S4 and both have issues with connecting to the IPhone and we've got a S550 MB in my company and it has issues with the new Blackberry. It's not just Lexus!
Old 12-09-14, 11:50 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I don't believe so. Text messaging didn't appear to Gen 7 nav systems. 2012 had Gen 6. I'm unsure whether 2013 GX460s had 6 or 7. Other Lexus models went to Gen 7 in 2013. And the 14-15 GXs came with Gen 8.
Old 12-09-14, 01:20 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by offroad200
I don't believe so. Text messaging didn't appear to Gen 7 nav systems. 2012 had Gen 6. I'm unsure whether 2013 GX460s had 6 or 7. Other Lexus models went to Gen 7 in 2013. And the 14-15 GXs came with Gen 8.
Sounds like it's time to buy a new one! NOT. Oh well, I'll suffer I guess. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-14, 02:03 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Originally Posted by Quadro
Yeah just report back to us once you do that and realize how lucky you were that infotaiment was the only thing you had to complain about
I said in my message that I like the GX. I was specific in my comment above. Note the section I bolded here....
I'm beginning to think we just need to buy from another car maker if we want proper phone integration to work.

If I had simply said that he should buy another car, I could understand your comment. IF he really wants phone integration that works, and app integration that works, he will have to look elsewhere. Lexus isn't providing it.

Last edited by dmccombs; 12-09-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 02:06 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Eppie,

It kinda works in the 2014's. I had an RX for a while, and now a GX. It works at times, but didn't work at other times in both 14's. I can't tell you about the 12's.
Old 12-10-14, 11:45 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can check to see if the GX thinks it will receive messages. Phone button -> Settings tab
should show this screen

The 4th box down Messaging Settings should be displayed. If not then you need to reconnect the phone again, this is the only procedure I found works for me.

Delete phone from car bluetooth
Delete car from phone bluetooth
Turn off car
Power cycle phone, wait for it to fully reboot, do not open anything but settings
Turn on car
Pair the car and phone.

This will usually allow it to pair with all the settings. Once you have it setup correctly it stays that way
Attached Thumbnails Cell phone text messages not syncing with new iPhone 6-img_1023.jpg  
Old 12-10-14, 03:50 PM
seiclan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! I will try this.
Old 12-11-14, 07:31 AM
seiclan
Driver School Candidate

Offroad200 was correct. Simple solution worked! Texts now audible on GX460. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-14, 11:38 PM
Shadrash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by offroad200
Let me try and actually help you. On your phone, go to settings then bluetooth. You'll see the car listed as a paired device. You'll see an "i" with a cirle around it. Hit that and turn notifications on. Now the next time you start your car and you get a text while you're in the car, it will read your text.
Worked as soon as I turned notifications on Great advice. Btw. Iphone 6 is what I'm using.
Old 01-10-15, 09:28 AM
shkirk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Gzorn!

Quick Reply: Cell phone text messages not syncing with new iPhone 6