GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 06:48 PM
Shadrash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!

Ok Lexus geeks. Here's a good one for you. I'll cover two subjects. I just leased at 3000 back of invoice a new 2015 GX premium with all the bells and whistles. Tow pack, glass breaking sensor, senors, bsm etc. total Murphy 57,900. 0 down 699 inc tax 12 k per year. Dealer in BH had tons to choose from and the sales person Natalia and their managers Safi and Robert were all beautiful to deal with.

I took this car after 1 day of ownership back to tell them about some noise coming from the AC. They made me an appointment three days later. Prior to taking it to service I went to west coast tire in LA and put on the new NITTO grappler G2 275 65 at on. World of a difference. Made the car look great Drives great and overall changed the car into something a man should drive rather than a soccer mom. Scraping on drive ways does happen but it's well worth it,

Here's the good part I took the car to service this Thursday. The AC system had been infested with rats. Dropping were everywhere and all the filters and tons of other crap were chewed through. I didn't smell it in the car but they said they smelled it as soon as they opened the unit. They keep these cars in a garage in century city. I don't think the infestation happened in the garage. Rather I belive it happened on the boat because they only had this car a few weeks Nevertheless, they took the car back. Switched my wheels and deliverd me a replacement. I'm happy with the car. Last cars owned were everything from mercedes to bmw and range rover. I'm actually quite surprised at how well this puppy drives and how sturdy the car is.

In the next few weeks I'll add a nice rack and maybe even get 1 inch spacers to kick the tires out a bit more. Otherwise. Happy to now be a Lexus geek and spend time chatting with all of you!,,,
Old 12-07-14, 05:52 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Let's see pictures of it with the grapplers on please. I have run those tires on every suv I've owned but I thought they'd be too aggressive for my soccer mom SUV.
Old 12-07-14, 06:21 AM
96redvette
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see some pics of the vehicle with the wheels and tires.

Originally Posted by Shadrash
Ok Lexus geeks. Here's a good one for you. I'll cover two subjects. I just leased at 3000 back of invoice a new 2015 GX premium with all the bells and whistles. Tow pack, glass breaking sensor, senors, bsm etc. total Murphy 57,900. 0 down 699 inc tax 12 k per year. Dealer in BH had tons to choose from and the sales person Natalia and their managers Safi and Robert were all beautiful to deal with.

I took this car after 1 day of ownership back to tell them about some noise coming from the AC. They made me an appointment three days later. Prior to taking it to service I went to west coast tire in LA and put on the new NITTO grappler G2 275 65 at on. World of a difference. Made the car look great Drives great and overall changed the car into something a man should drive rather than a soccer mom. Scraping on drive ways does happen but it's well worth it,

Here's the good part I took the car to service this Thursday. The AC system had been infested with rats. Dropping were everywhere and all the filters and tons of other crap were chewed through. I didn't smell it in the car but they said they smelled it as soon as they opened the unit. They keep these cars in a garage in century city. I don't think the infestation happened in the garage. Rather I belive it happened on the boat because they only had this car a few weeks Nevertheless, they took the car back. Switched my wheels and deliverd me a replacement. I'm happy with the car. Last cars owned were everything from mercedes to bmw and range rover. I'm actually quite surprised at how well this puppy drives and how sturdy the car is.

In the next few weeks I'll add a nice rack and maybe even get 1 inch spacers to kick the tires out a bit more. Otherwise. Happy to now be a Lexus geek and spend time chatting with all of you!,,,
Old 12-07-14, 10:23 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Speaking of rats, on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the weather was rainy and cold; in fact, it was freezing all week. I went to start my Lexus and noticed that the Check Engine Light and VSC light lit up, along with the 4Lo light flashing. At first, I thought it was simply a glitch somewhere in the system, so I shut it off and restarted it. Same results. I checked my gas cap + 4Hi, 4Lo setting, and proceeded to drive it, but noticed a lot of power and the engine having a hard time going above 40 mph.

Prior to taking my car in, I popped open the hood and noticed some ripped-up foam around the engine. At first, I didn't think anything of it since it could've been stuff from my recent road trip and driving on the beach. So on black Friday, I took it to the Lexus dealer and had them check it out. What they told me was that a rodent, possible a squirrel, climbed into the engine bay area, chewed on some wires, vacuum hoses, and made a nest between engine cover and engine. Long story short, they needed to replace some wire harness, vacuum hose, diagnostics, and fastener clips. Total cost $457. At least everything is back to normal now. Looks like rodents want a big, warm, and luxurious place to call home, too.

Pic of Check Engine, VSC, and 4Lo light lit. The 4Lo light was flashing.

This is the foam underneath the engine cover. Helps reduce noise, vibrations, and harshness emanating from the engine. Rodent went in and chewed on it to make a nest.

Pic of chewed up foam all over the engine bay. Took me about 45 mins to remove most of what I can see/reach.

Close-up of chewed foam. Looks like brown cake, but it's not.

Last edited by 11GX460; 12-08-14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-07-14, 11:55 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the new environmental friendly organic wiring is a nice snack for the rodents.
Old 12-07-14, 03:15 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
Yes the new environmental friendly organic wiring is a nice snack for the rodents.
Not sure about the new wiring, but everything seems to be a snack for squirrels and rats. I recently had a conversation with the owner of the transmission shop that handled my MDX.
He had a LX 570 that had a rats nest in it and they chewed through multiple wires. Several thousands of dollars later along with frustrations in finding all of the hidden damage, he finally resolved the problems.

I am in the low-voltage wiring business and I have fixed chewed through wires behind these rodents for 20 years in residences also.
Old 12-11-14, 10:58 PM
Shadrash
Driver School Candidate

will do. Ill take some pics this week!
Old 12-17-14, 08:19 PM
96redvette
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pictures

will do. Ill take some pics this week!
Any luck on those pics?
Old 12-19-14, 05:07 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would like to see those pics too. So no tire rub at full lock etc?
Old 12-22-14, 08:30 PM
Shadrash
Driver School Candidate

Default here are the photos.

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
Would like to see those pics too. So no tire rub at full lock etc?
sorry for the delay gentlemen- I did rub not at full lock but at slight angle when hitting a driveway or when slamming on brakes, this was mostly resolved, actually dramatically reduced when i removed that inside bolt holding the running boards. tires are nice I've done some mudding in them and I've done some high speed highway miles. overall I'm happy. bit of a sacrifice due to rubbing but i feel a lot better with the way it looks. I also bought 1 inch spacers. The made it worse so i removed them. I have them for sale if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!-img_4091.jpg   Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!-img_4090.jpg   Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!-img_4087.jpg  
Old 12-23-14, 06:17 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks great!

I took the same bolt out of mine almost a year ago and haven't looked back, many miles of snow and rain and no issues at all. I keep meaning to put some clear silicone in there but I always forget. The other side is just a plastic retainer that the bolt screws in to but not in to the vehicle itself, just another piece of plastic.
Old 12-23-14, 01:32 PM
Kitana
Driver

The tires look nice! What do you all mean by these tires may be too aggressive for a soccer mom? Will they try to pinch my fanny when I climb in? Just curious.
Old 12-23-14, 02:34 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitana
The tires look nice! What do you all mean by these tires may be too aggressive for a soccer mom? Will they try to pinch my fanny when I climb in? Just curious.
They will "bite your shiny metal ***", to quote another thread. ;-)
Old 12-23-14, 03:27 PM
Kitana
Driver

Those tires may be perfect for this Ninja assassin-Metal-Mall crawling-Soccer mom then.
Old 12-30-14, 07:51 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires look good. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!