GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Update on Michelin LTX MS2. Please dump your Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840!

Old 11-30-14, 01:51 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update on Michelin LTX MS2. Please dump your Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840!

So, I just got my Michelin LTX MS2s on and what a huge difference over the Bridgestone Dueler HT D840's. I mean huge: Comfort and Handling and Noise levels. Time will only tell on how long they will last, but I bet a lot longer than those junk Bridgestones. Even when new, the Bridgestones were noisy.

So, check this out. After 18k miles and I even rotated my tires twice, here are how my front Bridgestones looked (they squeaked, made noise, etc.)

and granted this is without any off-roading. This is just normal city and highway driving. You can't see it, but the inner part was already worn out.

Here are my new ones:

All I have to say is don't buy the Bridgestones again.
Old 11-30-14, 01:55 PM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the little bit of snow we've got already these Bridgestones are very poor for handling and braking. Can't wait until these wear out to buy the Michelin LTX.
Old 11-30-14, 02:35 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, these are not only an all around better tire but look much better on the truck too.
Old 11-30-14, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Time will only tell on how long they will last,
They will last a LONG time. I had 100k miles on a set once...and they still had tread.
Old 12-05-14, 01:51 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow..ONLY 18K miles??? I have the same set on my Tacoma and it hits 40k miles now and LOOKS much better. is the GX tooooo heavy for the tire? My GX comes with Michelin though.
Old 12-05-14, 03:24 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Couldn't agree more with you on the LTX MS2's. I put them on my GX at 20,000 miles and they transformed the ride of the truck. I put 80,000 miles on a set on an '06 Pathfinder and they were still great when I got rid of the truck.
Old 12-05-14, 06:48 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Wow..ONLY 18K miles??? I have the same set on my Tacoma and it hits 40k miles now and LOOKS much better. is the GX tooooo heavy for the tire? My GX comes with Michelin though.
That was one of my thoughts. The GX is too heavy for the Bridgestones. I'm still glad I tossed those Bridgestones even though I probably could have put another 2k on them Regardless, they are terrible tires.

It rained here in Southern California finally over the last couple of days. Michelin LTX MS2's performed awesome in the rain. I tried to lose traction with a couple of stop sign accelerations on the wet roads and I couldn't. With the combination of the new tires, a heavy car, and the 4 wheel drive, you can bet you are safe in bad weather.
Old 12-06-14, 12:28 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the tip and pictures. I will definitely buy the Michelin LTX MS2 tires in the future.
Old 12-07-14, 07:57 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

I had the stock Michelin Latitudes and replaced them at 36k miles with the LTXs. No comparison, to me the LTX are better in every aspect.
Old 12-08-14, 02:04 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I had the stock Michelin Latitudes and replaced them at 36k miles with the LTXs. No comparison, to me the LTX are better in every aspect.
I have the Latitudes as well and will get the LTX when it is time for new tires. Thanks for all the suggestions (trials and errors)
Old 12-11-14, 08:26 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went out in the snow storm yesterday and I had a lot of fun driving around. I was very happy I had LTX M/S2 instead of Latitudes in these conditions.

A pic from my dash cam:

Old 12-19-14, 03:34 PM
GXdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTX MS2 "downgrade tire" for the GX

A few years ago I replaced Bridgestone with the LTX (earlier version) on a Ford Explorer and was really happy with the improvement in every aspect. They are great tires.

So, I have 40k+ on my OEM Bridgesones on my 2011 GX. I stopped by Costco last week to get a quote on a set of LTX MS2s and was told that the LTX MS2 is a "downgrade tire" and not recommended...blah, blah, blah. The sales person went on to say they could not install them on the GX. I wasnt' motivated for a debate, so just left.

A few days later I stopped by and spoke with a different salesperson. His input: The LTX MS2 is a great tire, but because of the speed rating he had to give me a written statement saying that the LTX MS2 does not meet the OEM specs for the truck. So, the LTX MS2s will go on the truck after the holidays.

I really appreciate the lively and passionate comments in this forum regarding tires. The posts are all helpful.
Old 12-19-14, 05:00 PM
JDSTL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LTX MS2s are down a level (T vs H) on the speed rating but that's not an issue with the GX. A T is good to 118 mph and I believe these are governed at 112 mph. You'd probably run out of gas at 112 before you could get the tires hot! Costco just has to cover their ***. Enjoy the new tires.

Last edited by JDSTL; 12-19-14 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-19-14, 08:28 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

As the OP, I purchased my tires LTX MS2 from Costco also and got them installed there. The guy told me they were rated 1 lower than what I originally had, but then said, Michelin's usually rate their tires 1 grade lower anyways and installed them anyways ...whatever that means, but my experience in the past has always led to Michelin being a good quality tire.

I don't know of anyone who would take their GX above 100 anyways. The tire is fine on this truck. Probably, the best there is. Loving it so far...

Update on Michelin LTX MS2. Please dump your Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840!-tirerating.jpg

Don't you like the Michelin man waving at you anyways :-) It's a good looking tire, just mount the white lettering inside...
Update on Michelin LTX MS2. Please dump your Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840!-img_0990.jpg
Old 01-02-15, 09:22 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm still riding around on the Duelers until they wear out. Did you stick with factory size or went a bit bigger?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update on Michelin LTX MS2. Please dump your Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840!