GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade

Old 12-08-14, 06:24 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I thought I read somewhere that the Surround Sound option is a ML option?
I don't think this is true. I have a 2014 GX. It doesn't have the ML Audio, but I do have the Surround Option.

Maybe it is dependent on weather you have the Nav??? I do have Nav.
Old 12-09-14, 06:59 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmccombs
I don't think this is true. I have a 2014 GX. It doesn't have the ML Audio, but I do have the Surround Option.

Maybe it is dependent on weather you have the Nav??? I do have Nav.
I've got Nav., Maybe it's part of the updated system in the 14-15's.
Old 12-09-14, 04:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I've got Nav., Maybe it's part of the updated system in the 14-15's.
Looks like it according to this.

Meanwhile, standard appearance goodies in the base GX 460 include 18-inch alloy wheels, a power sunroof, a rear spoiler and roof rack, heated power-adjustable outside mirrors, step running boards, trailer wiring and skid plates, with leather upholstery, heated power-adjustable front seats, reclining second-row seats and genuine wood, leather and simulated alloy cabin accents adorning the interior. Also gracing this entry-level trim are full power accessories, memory for driver's settings, cruise control, telescoping tilt-wheel steering, a rear-view camera, a remote garage door opener and an auto-dimming rear-view mirror. Standard entertainment, meantime, is offered via a 6-CD changer with 9 Surround Sound speakers and satellite radio bolstered by Enform infotainment (with the new 8-inch monitor) and Bluetooth hands-free calling.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2014-Le...verview-c24195
Old 12-10-14, 03:09 PM
psukhu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this info! I have 2010 GX and I'm also ready to replace the factor speakers.

Here's my understanding of what to get:

Front doors - 6"x9"
Back doors - 6.5"
Dash - 3.5"

Is the center dash also a 3.5"? What size are the front pillar tweeters?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-14, 04:52 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by psukhu
Thanks for this info! I have 2010 GX and I'm also ready to replace the factor speakers.

Here's my understanding of what to get:

Front doors - 6"x9"
Back doors - 6.5"
Dash - 3.5"

Is the center dash also a 3.5"? What size are the front pillar tweeters?

Thanks!
Yes, the center is also 3.5". The factory cone is actually 3" . I don't recall the site that was given to me with the specs.
Tweeters are 1" if this site is correct. http://www.al-eds.com/Vehicle-Fit-Guide-sp4.html

The screwdriver is touching hard plastic on the Lexus speaker.

What a difference in quality.

IMG]https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/1936x1936/80-image_1caca4195e1a6ec0c4f3fa4903c0fdff6f68a3d5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-14, 09:18 AM
snow001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
I don't have that option.
Thanks for checking. In my opinion, you don't need that anyway and leaving it off is ideal in your case.
Old 12-13-14, 06:57 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Well, I read Tecman's write up about 100 times, and decided to check into upgrading my speakers. Tecman's write-up is terrific, and is incredibly informative. I PM'd Tecman some questions, and he graciously replied with more details. Thank You Tecman!!!!

I used the info Tecman provided to pick out some speakers. I decided I wanted all the speakers to be from the same company and line, so they would all have the same sound signature. I also figured I wanted speakers with higher efficiency, since the stock amps aren;t to powerful.

I went to the local stereo shop and decided on the items below. I got them to price match Crutchfields, so I think I came out ok on the price.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1418524466

I had planned to do the install myself. Tecman really lays out the how-to very well. But, their price for the install was reasonable, so I had the local shop do it.

Overall, the sound is much better. Like Tecman said, replacing the dash 3.5" speakers makes a big improvement. Replacing the front door speakers was also a nice improvement, but not as big as the replacing the dash speakers.

Now the rear door speaker replacement has me totally perplexed. On the stock system, I would move the fader towards the rear, and you could here the sound move to the back, including the bass sounds. The bass became muddled, but it was there.

With the replacement speakers, I move the fader towards the rear, and you hear the sound move towards the rear, but there is no bass. There isn't even any mid-bass. I know some makes use a highpass filter so low sounds don't go to smaller speakers, but this sounds way different. There isn't any low sounds, and barely any mids.

The rear speakers do sound more clear, but the lack of bass and mid-bass is really a step backwards. You really can't fade towards the rear at all to get a full sound, when you only hear highs back there.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? The replacement 6.5" speakers are good speakers, and I the installers double check the installation to ensure the speakers were not wired out of phase.
Attached Thumbnails DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade-img_0425.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
FrictionSc (08-13-19)
Old 12-14-14, 01:39 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

The ohm readings below would explain the center speaker being the loudest of the three dash speakers. I wonder if the 3.5 reading on the rear speaker is enough to cause the stronger mids/bass

Old 12-14-14, 05:06 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Tecman,

This is great info. I think you are right about why the center dash speaker in the stock setup sounds a little louder.

The Ohm readings on the rear channels is interesting, but I don't know why the rear door speakers have so little bass. When I replaced mine with the Infinities, they are rated at 3 Ohm, which isn't far from the 3.5 Ohm of the stock speakers.

Do you rear speakers sound anemic when yo fade 100% to the rears? I end up with volume in the high and upper miss, but nothing in the lower miss, and bass.
Old 12-15-14, 05:52 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

I don't have any bass in the rear. I was focused on clarity when I compared the two speakers and I don't really recall how much bass was back there before.
Old 01-01-15, 06:43 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Well today, I upgraded to a 2015 GX460 Luxury, with the Driver Support Package. Boy is this thing loaded. The Driver Support package has some nice features. Even though I owned a GX before there is a lot to learn with these upgrades.

The Cross Bars and my Michelin LTX tires were transferred from my from old GX to this one after this picture was taken. The new car came with a Tonneau Cargo Cover so now I have an extra.

I am still playing with settings for the ML Stereo. With most stereos, you get cleaner sound with the Surround Sound option turned off, but with the Lexus (ML included), the sound is just flat without the Surround Sound enable. The sound isn't as clear with the Surround enabled, but overall I think it is better. Oh well...
Holly crap dmccombs, you upgraded the speakers on your last GX and then bought a new GX.
What are your thoughts with your last GX speaker upgrade compared to the ML system?
Congrats, sweet ride!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-here-25.html
Old 01-01-15, 07:11 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Originally Posted by tecman
Holly crap dmccombs, you upgraded the speakers on your last GX and then bought a new GX.
What are your thoughts with your last GX speaker upgrade compared to the ML system?
Congrats, sweet ride!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-here-25.html

The stock system with a good speaker upgrade yielded very good clarity, but all the sound was up front. I would say it came from the dash/windshield. Any mid bass sounds came from the front door. There was almost no sound from the rear, and it was all treble. But, overall, the stock system with the speaker upgrades sounded pretty good. Your write will really help folks.

With the stock ML system, there is a very slight loss in detail. But the sound comes from everywhere, and you actually will hear lower/sub frequencies. The rear speakers aren't loud in the ML system, but the sound is more balanced than in the stock system. The soundstage is better with the ML system, and you hear a fuller frequency range.

Overall, the ML system is a little better than the stock system with a good speaker upgrade. IMO... Take these comments with a grain of salt, as I have only had the system for 24 hours. I might find better settings for the ML given time.

Of course, replacing the dash speakers and front door speakers in the ML system would help. I probably wouldn't touch the 4 rear speaker sets. I am guessing you shouldn't upgrade the sub without upgrading the amp. These are thoughts for another day though.

Last edited by dmccombs; 01-01-15 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-08-15, 09:38 AM
dmccombs
Driver

I've been giving the 2015 GX Levinson system more listening time. It actually has a lot in common with the Standard/Premium 9-speaker system.

The Levinson system may have slightly better speakers and amp than the Premium system, which makes it sound a little cleaner, but it seems to have the same weird setup where most of the sound appears to come from the dash/windshield.

A friend described it well with his thoughts. "The system soundstage is more like a home audio system, where the stage is in front of you. Most car systems have the sound coming from all around. In some ways this is nice, but there is no centralized voice, etc."

I have re-evaluated my preferences as follows...

1) Premium system with $250-$500 in speaker upgrades similar to what Tecman outlined.
- I don't know if I would change out the rear speakers if I did it again, but there is great value in swapping out the Dash and front door speakers.
2) Stock Levinson System
3) Stock Premium System

For those debating weather to order the Levinson system, I think you would be better off getting the Premium system than paying an installer to upgrade the dash and front door speakers, or DIY following Tecman's excellent write-up here. You will end up with a better system, for less money, and you won't have to wait 3 months for your GX. Win-Win-Win...
Old 03-10-16, 01:35 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great write up and work!. I have the 2016 base with Navi. It came with the sorround sound option.
Old 08-24-16, 09:58 AM
Scionxbjk
Driver School Candidate

Default Gx 460 speaker upgrade

hello, I got a gx-460 premium (to save the $6,000 or so difference for the luxury). The car is for my wife and being a Lexus I thought it would have a great stereo. After she brought to my attention it sounded like there was a rag or sand in the speakers I went through all the settings and realized it was an average stereo system at best. I followed tech mans write up and to my suprise it was not very difficult and the result is very good compared to what it sounded like before. I got the same speakers as tech man, and the only thing I didn't do was replace the back door speakers. Overall I am happy and total cost was about $300. I agree with all the posters in that the front three speakers are set up odd, and the middle one is the one with the most play. I went to a few shops and they quoted me $2000 plus for a simple upgrade saying I needed new amps, and crossovers. I almost paid and them found this thread. I took the advice on this site and realized the people at these shops don't really know these cars and the setup recommended here sounds and works great hoping I don't blow the spa with the more powerful speakers. Thank you for the advice it saved me over $1500. You don't need to pay the shops all the money to have a stereo system that a Lexus should have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade