GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade

Old 11-29-14, 02:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts
Lightbulb DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade

As many of you know the base audio system in the GX isn't very good. I have visited a couple of shops and the estimates I received were high so I decided to replace the speakers to see if this would help.
I bought the Infinity speakers and for comparison I bought some lower wattage Kenwood speakers for the dash.

I removed the 3 dash speakers and faded the system to the front. I installed the Infinity on one side and the Kenwood on the other. When fading left to right the Kenwood sounds louder and with better highs (Kenwood it is).
I did the same test for the 6x9 front doors but used the factory vs.the Infinity. I can't tell a difference here (I didn't have the door panels on) I think the Infinity needs more power.

I took a ride to Best Buy to get the lower wattage Alpine and Pioneer speakers. On the drive I only had the rears and the 3 Kenwood dash speakers installed and I am happy with the Kenwood sound. During the installation I found that the center speaker is by far the dominant of the 3, I could feel the cone moving much more than the left and right. I wonder, since 2 pairs of speakers have to be purchased, maybe a higher wattage for the center? Just a thought...

I installed the front door speakers that day and drove it for a couple of weeks. I used my hardwire iPod the most and was happy with the results. I installed the rear speakers over 2 weeks ago and and again factory vs. Pioneer, WOW I can really hear a difference in clarity here.

Overall difference, it is like I had rags stuffed in the speakers and removed them. I have a cleaner stronger bass that I can now turn up 2 more levels. I have better highs and can turn my treble down 1-2 levels from my constant max setting. I also went up 2 levels on the mid. I feel like I have a stronger wattage system, I can push the volume level more. I will say after doing most of my testing with the iPod, when I went to satellite and Pandora it reminded me of how bad the sound quality is from these sources. Of course there is an improvement here, but the hardwired iPod is much better.

Here is what I installed,
1 Metra 82-8148 rear speaker adapters (Amazon $16)
1 Metra 82-8146 front speaker adapters (Amazon $16)
2 Metra 72-8104 speaker connectors for the doors only (Amazon $6x2)
2 Kenwood KFC-835C (Amazon $30x2)
1 Alpine SPE-6090 (Best Buy $90)
1 Pioneer TS-A1675R (Best Buy $40)

Total with some items taxed is under $250, I had a hard time with spending so little but that is the good thing with a speaker upgrade only. You can only spend a limited amount.
I would recommend that everyone with the base audio system at least replace the 3 dash speakers. This is a cheap and simple install and it is a significant improvement in quality.

Returned speakers

Installed speakers

factory, Infinity and Kenwood comparison.

Pry the left and right up from opposite the windshield and pull it toward you. The center has clips all the way around.

I didn't find anything like the Metra speaker connectors for the dash so I spliced it.

The larger magnet will fit snugly with the plastic air pipes.

Noo!! This is not the way to go.

Hmm..4 wires, I was hoping that the head unit processed this. I didn't change the tweeters out. I am happy with the highs I have now.

Remove the arm rest and the window/door lock and unplug it.

Remove the plastic window pillar triangle. Only 2 screws to remove, 1 behind the door release(remove the plastic cover) and the 2nd is behind the arm rest that was removed. Now, just pull the door panel off starting from the bottom.

To reinstall the panel you need to remove the black metal window strip. This piece has to be pushed down on the door and it also has clips for the door panel, so the 2 needed directions will not work while it is attached to the panel (I hope that makes sense).

Push the strip down on the door and pop the door panel back on (be sure to check that the clips are seated properly).

There is a slot for the wire on the adapters so pay attention to the direction that the speaker needs to be mounted in order to line up with the door connection.

Rear speakers with the connection outside of the speaker (just the way it worked out).

Front speakers with the connection behind the speaker.

Last edited by tecman; 11-29-14 at 05:54 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by tecman:
Beachy (03-09-19), Chaos236 (01-02-21), JLew (02-10-19), L8Shift (02-12-22), ltsr (05-23-19), Minsung63o (01-03-21), rattmobbin (08-03-17), SingerBri (12-16-18) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

01-15-21, 10:02 AM
Dennis2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Default General Purpose Info on upgrading the 2nd Gen GX audio system.

Again, I am just putting this information out there for any fellow 2nd Gen GX owners who might be considering upgrading their factory Non-ML sound system. I understand everyone's plans on upgrading might be different, but (myself included), want to know what all of the options are, so I'm just going to leave this write up here for anyone to view as GP.

So, for those 2nd Gen GX owners that do not have the ML sound system, depending on the year of your GX, your factory amplifier will be either one of the ones pictured below. I contacted Pioneer who makes both amplifiers and they were able to give me some info.

It is my understanding that the 17-current GX have the 86280-60451 amplifiers, those model years before 17 have the 86280-60450 amplifiers. I've read the discussions here on the forum, it seems the general consensus is that the later model years have the surround sound feature and the earlier model years do not? When I spoke to Pioneer, they mentioned that the two amplifiers are different but not by much, mostly the differences are specifications such as crossover points (which frequency within the factory amp) is sent to which speaker. Pioneer did mention that unlike manufacturers such as GM, which use a variable voltage output amplifier (the amplifier actually controls the volume level on the specific speaker), the amplifier in the 2nd Gen GX is fixed meaning the in-dash unit controls the volume of the speakers. I will add more details on info as I dig deeper into my build, but as it stands, for those who want to add an aftermarket amplifier to their factory system, they don't have to overcome too many obstacles in order to get the best sound. A lot of newer vehicles have the warning chimes and even vehicle exhaust sounds coming through the factory audio systems, from all the research I've done thus far, the 2nd GX doesn't have these types of features to overcome when upgrading to an aftermarket amplifier or aftermarket speakers. As I move along with my build, I will post up if certain chimes or notifications are being routed by the amplifier into specific speakers and a solution, but as it stands, from what I've researched, this isn't the case.

Now, I sure I will get some different opinions on this next matter, but at least for me, I would be cautious regarding which aftermarket speakers I decide to purchase and add. Again, most of this info I received from Pioneer, but no matter which year 2nd Gen GX you have (without the ML system) the factory amplifier and speakers are set up like in this way: (and please keep in mind, I may not have these channels in the correct order, but the layout is what Pioneer gave me), I will update this as I get all the specs nailed down)

channels 1&2 run the front Left Right Tweeter which are wired in parallel to the corner dash Left Right midrange speakers.
channels 3&4 run the front Left Right 6x9 door speakers.
channels 5&6 run the rear Left Right 6.5 door speakers.
channel 7 runs only the center dash speaker.

So, the factory amplifier has preset or canned crossover points for each of these channels, they have the frequency cutoff at certain points so that each of these speakers only receives a frequency signal that will work for optimum performance for each specific speaker. This means for those who might not understand all this info, that you can adjust the treble, bass, or volume level at the in dash unit however you choose, but ultimately, the amplifier is only going to allow certain ranges of frequencies and voltages go to certain speakers. The reason for this and how our systems are set up, are so that no matter what we do, we won't end up blowing the inexpensive speakers that are used in our GX's and Lexus having to replace them under warranty. So a lot of the less than stellar performance of this factory system can be attributed to Lexus designing all the specs so nothing will break under warranty. This also means that, whatever replacement speaker you decide to use, is still going to receive the same frequency/signal as the stock speaker, thus the only improvement in sound you will get is IF the replacement speaker does a better job at sound reproduction at the frequency it is given compared to the stock speaker.

Later on I will hook up a RTA (real time analyzer, I have a friend who owns one) and I will list what these frequencies are, but for now I can tell you that the front door speakers seem to serve as the subwoofers of the factory system, the front tweeters and corner dash speakers, the rear door speakers, and the center channel speaker are receiving a portion of a full range or a form of a full range signal.

Someone in this conversation has already demonstrated that the most of the factory speaker’s ohm out at right under 4ohms or around 3.5 ohms, but the center speaker ohms out close to 5 or 6 ohms. I asked Pioneer about this, and I was told that because the center dash speaker is on its own channel separate from the other speakers, it has a different impedance (resistance in ohms) and it receives a different output (voltage) as well compared to the rest of the speakers. I've read others here commenting on how the center speaker (in factory configuration) sounds a little louder or different than say the corner dash speakers, at different selected volume levels, on the in dash unit. Well, this center channel speaker which has higher/different impedance than the rest of the factory speakers, is receiving a different voltage from the factory amplifier according to Pioneer. I point this out, as I see several people are replacing the center speaker with an aftermarket speaker with an impedance of 4 ohms. Generally speaking, on a amplifier, the output (sound level) of the speaker usually gets louder the lower the impendence on the speaker is, as when you present less resistance, more power from the amplifier can go to the speaker, that is IF you have the current to deliver the power at a lower impedance and IF your amplifier can handle a lower resistance load. So, according to pioneer, this factory amp is designed to send more voltage (output) to the center channel- compared to the voltage sent out to say the channels that are driving the corner dash speaker and tweeter. I should note, I haven’t taken my vehicle apart yet to make any of these measurements, but I will in the future and update this post for those interested. I went a little further to speak with an independent shop that repairs factory audio amplifiers such as the one in our GX. In my mind, from everything I've read up on, installing a 4ohm impedance speaker on the factory center channel would present a problem as that amp is probably not designed to push a lower impedance speaker. The person I spoke with at the amplifier repair shop also agreed that he has seen several GX factory amplifiers that over time overheated and gave out due to dropping the load on this channel. He recommended at least for long term use or for someone who listens to their stereo in the upper 70% range frequently that they do not swap out the factory speakers for different impedance aftermarket speakers. Not only are the factory speakers specifically designed for this amplifier, but specs such as the sensitivity ratings and frequency responses also come into play as well. Many of the aftermarket speakers that will fit for our vehicle may not even have the same frequency response ranges or input sensitivities compared to the stock speakers which would explain why some people have commented on certain aftermarket speakers "sounding" better to them than others. For most of the speakers in our systems that have a 3.5 impedance, replacing the speakers with a 4ohm speaker shouldn't present any issues although once I (or someone) get around to figuring out exactly what frequency range and voltages are being sent out of the factory amplifier, it’s just going to be a wild guess as to what aftermarket speaker is going to sound best when paired with the factory amp. Ultimately though, it’s my opinion that replacing the center dash speaker with any 4ohm speaker will present a problem. It is also worth noting that although Crutchfield may not be the know all end all source for car audio recommendations; even their website has zero recommendations for a replacement speaker for the center dash on the GX?

So…for those GX owners that are wanting to just upgrade their factory speakers only, I would say your best option is to

1), Know exactly what the sensitivity rating is on the factory speakers: example, if the factory speaker is rated at a sensitivity of let’s say 96db and you replace it with a speaker that has a sensitivity rating of 86db, you are going to notice a sharp drop off in the performance of the replacement speaker, a lower sensitivity rating is going to require more (especially at lower volume/output/voltage levels to achieve the same output volume compared to the higher sensitivity rated speaker. My opinion here: since the factory amplifier is not that powerful to begin with, if you are replacing just the factory speakers, I would opt for a speaker with a higher sensitivity rating as a general rule of thumb. Some people in this group have commented on how the JBL speakers they placed in the dash were almost too bright for their taste- JBL’s are known for having a higher sensitivity rating, and are designed to work with lower power systems.

2). Know exactly what frequencies are being sent to each speaker. As I mentioned before, the factory front 6x9 door speakers serve as the “subwoofers” in this system as they seem to be the only speakers being sent low frequencies. Now these factory 6x9’s might be cheap Chinese made speakers, but they also might be designed to play a certain range of frequencies, it should also be noted, that these 6x9 speakers are basically drivers not coaxial. They are basically a 6x9 woofer. So when you go and purchase a set of aftermarket 6x9 2 way or 3 way speakers, the tweeters in the replacement speakers aren’t even going to receive a frequency that they can play at, and the woofers may be designed to only play down to say 40 hertz, where as the factory speakers play down to 20 or 30 hertz. The factory speakers are going to play lower and cover more of the frequency being sent to them, thus they may not sound louder per say, but they will sound better if that makes sense as they will be able to reproduce every frequency that is being sent to them.

3). Know the power that is being sent to each speaker. A huge mistake in car audio is pairing up a speaker designed to perform at a certain power range with an amplifier that comes nowhere near that power level. A lot of aftermarket speakers that say can handle up to 50 or 60 watts rms require a minimum of 10 watts rms to begin with. Again, I haven’t taken my vehicle apart as of yet, but I can almost assure you, the factory amplifier is more than likely putting out somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 up to 30 watt rms of power into any given speaker in the factory system. So again if you want the best bang for your buck and the best results, it will be important to select aftermarket speakers that closely match the factory amplifiers capabilities- installing a aftermarket speaker such as say the Infinities (I believe I saw someone was trying out), yes they have a high sensitivity rating, but those speakers require a bit more power to reach their potential, more than what the factory amplifier can offer.

Moving along, for those of us who want to go with an aftermarket amplifier and new speakers, such as myself we have a few options that I've found so far. Again, I will let those who interested in this topic respond if they want me to post pictures of the entire build from start to finish, but for the time being, I'm just putting this info out as GP. From all my research, the best option for getting the best improvement in sound over the stock system is to add an aftermarket amplifier. And in the case of our GX's the most simple way to accomplish this without cutting or splicing wires and keeping everything in a form that would allow transfer back to factory, adding an aftermarket amp and retaining the factory amplifier to provide an output signal is going to be the best route.

Now, out of all the amplifiers that are out there, our factory system presents one big issue and that is all the frequencies are crossed over at the amp and sent to the different speakers. So, using just a line output converter (while that might work) depending on which speaker output from the factory amp you tap into, is only going to give you part of the full range of frequencies. To overcome this, the best solution is to purchase a DSP or an amplifier that has DSP in it. Audio Control (I don’t work for Audio Control) makes products such as the LC2-LC7i that can take your factory amp's outputs and sum them together to create a complete full range signal to send to your aftermarket amplifier which is a great option, but you'll be forced to run a separate power, ground, remote turn on for this unit, and once its installed, unless you have a RTA to tune everything, it's just going to be a best guess by ear of what frequencies are coming into the aftermarket amp and going out to whatever speakers you're going to be installing. If you're like me, where space is a concern and keeping the vehicle as close to factory as possible is a priority, adding a separate DSP then Amplifier(s) will present running a bunch of new wiring, finding a place to mount everything and so on.

With a DSP, again (Audio Control now makes amplifiers with DSP built in) you can have all the software for your laptop that can serve as a RTA, which will let you see exactly what's coming in and going out and it will allow you to sum the appropriate channels and adjust everything all in one package. You can go onto youtube and check out Car Audio Fabrication’s review of the D.1200 amplifier to see an in depth look at how all of this works.

JL audio also makes an amplifier with built in DSP and can do the same thing. Either of these two manufacturers also makes these amplifiers in a compact chassis that can still fit under the passenger seat with the factory amp which is a plus. I think I'm going to go the Audio Control route, run just a 2 way component set in the front, co-axial in the rear doors, and a small subwoofer, Audio Control is supposed to introduce a new 5 channel DSP amplifier soon which will work with this sort of set up. I'm going to just disconnect and remove the corner dash speakers and the center speaker. I will be happy to post up all the details of this build once I get all the gear together if this group is interested.
Old 11-29-14, 07:27 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Lexus speakers replaced.
Attached Thumbnails DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade-image.jpg  

Last edited by tecman; 11-29-14 at 07:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
Chaos236 (01-02-21), VentoGT (09-13-21)
Old 11-30-14, 07:19 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the detailed write-up, Tecman. I will definitely keep this in mind when I have the urge to upgrade my speakers. For now, I am pretty content with my base OEM sound system. They are not that bad... I do not blast my music while driving and either listen to the radio or stream my music (Pandora, Songza, or SD card) via BT. I know using an IPOD with the aux cable or simply playing music off a CD will sound much better. You are probably more of an audiophile than most. Have you noticed any improvements when playing music from the radio or via streaming? Any plans for an aftermarket head unit replacement?

Last edited by 11GX460; 11-30-14 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 10:11 AM
sy72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mentioned that you noticed that the center dash speaker was much more active than either side... this seems to suggest that you still have surround sound enabled w/ the head unit. Have you tried disabling surround sound?
Old 12-01-14, 12:34 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sy72
You mentioned that you noticed that the center dash speaker was much more active than either side... this seems to suggest that you still have surround sound enabled w/ the head unit. Have you tried disabling surround sound?
I noticed the same thing that Tecman did, even when listening in Stereo. I think it is because the side speakers get about half the glass reflection that the center speaker does. The middle speaker has a LOT of glass and hard plastic around it which bounces the sound around.

Also, the middle speaker doesn't have a crossover and tweeter for the highs. The middle speaker ends up splitting the same power, without a dedicated speaker, so I think we hear the upper midrange more on the middle speaker.

Don't take these ideas as fact, they are just theories.
Old 12-01-14, 12:51 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 11GX460
Thanks for the detailed write-up, Tecman. I will definitely keep this in mind when I have the urge to upgrade my speakers. For now, I am pretty content with my base OEM sound system. They are not that bad... I do not blast my music while driving and either listen to the radio or stream my music (Pandora, Songza, or SD card) via BT. I know using an IPOD with the aux cable or simply playing music off a CD will sound much better. You are probably more of an audiophile than most. Have you noticed any improvements when playing music from the radio or via streaming? Any plans for an aftermarket head unit replacement?
Sorry 11GX460, you must have put the questions in your edit. The radio sounds good, but Atlanta stations suck and I cant stand the commercials. Streaming Pandora sounds the same to me as satellite. Does anyone know of a good quality streaming source?

Originally Posted by sy72
I see that option in the manual, but I don't have it (must be for RES only).
Old 12-01-14, 01:00 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Does anyone know of a good quality streaming source?
Both iTunes and Spotify sound better than Pandora, IMO. iTunes is 256k, and Spotify is 320k. Pandora is 192k, if you have paid for the Premium service.

iTunes on the Iphone even integrates a bit with my 2014 GX. I can hit the browse button on the GX screen, and chose different stations, or music stored on the phone.

Spotify sounds the best to me, but you have to change songs/stations on the phone itself.
Old 12-01-14, 03:36 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

How did you manage to re-attach the tweeter cover. It looks like the posts are broken off...
Old 12-01-14, 03:49 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dmccombs
Both iTunes and Spotify sound better than Pandora, IMO. iTunes is 256k, and Spotify is 320k. Pandora is 192k, if you have paid for the Premium service.

iTunes on the Iphone even integrates a bit with my 2014 GX. I can hit the browse button on the GX screen, and chose different stations, or music stored on the phone.

Spotify sounds the best to me, but you have to change songs/stations on the phone itself.
I just signed up for the new service from Tidal. Check out the reviews on their site, I will report back with quality findings.

http://www.tidalhifi.com/us/b?gclid=...Fe7m7AodAl4A9w
Old 12-01-14, 03:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtrue28
How did you manage to re-attach the tweeter cover. It looks like the posts are broken off...
Maybe the picture doesn't show it well, but I was able to put some GE silicone on the post with no problem.
Old 12-07-14, 10:18 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dmccombs

Thanks for the info Dmccombs. I used Spotify, Songza, and Pandora back-to-back-to-back yesterday and definitely noticed that Spotify is crisper, louder and clearer when streaming via Bluetooth. I'm sticking to it from now on. Songza was the worst.
Old 12-07-14, 01:57 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I have been playing around with Tidal and I am impressed with the sound (still getting a feel for the layout). I may get rid of my satellite subscription.
Old 12-08-14, 09:05 AM
snow001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tecman thanks for the write up, eventually when I find the time I intend to upgrade my stock speakers as well.

As an observation, the stock speakers that you removed did not look like they were full ranged speakers, so I am thinking that there must be a built in crossover in the head unit which would filter the sound that leads to the center and side dash speakers. Does turning off "simulated surround sound" make a difference? (deeper base and higher fidelity?) I could be wrong but the aftermarket speakers that you used have built in crossovers ( to support the 3 way speakers) which requires the sound which the head unit is supplying for that line to be "unfiltered". I would like to eventually upgrade the speakers as well but intend to use component speakers for the dash speakers and tweeters and full range speakers for the side doors.

However if disabling surround sound does not make a difference, then I might just follow the same set up that you have used.

Thanks

Last edited by snow001; 12-08-14 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-08-14, 12:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by snow001
Does turning off "simulated surround sound" make a difference?
I don't have that option.
Attached Thumbnails DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade-image.jpg  
Old 12-08-14, 01:06 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that the Surround Sound option is a ML option?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade