GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 or BMW X5

Old 11-28-14, 05:00 AM
mike444
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX460 or BMW X5

Clearly I know you all can be unbiased in the answer to this question

We are looking to downsize from our 05 Sequoia (180,000 miles !!!!) but still need something with a third row. We are looking at used CPO models since they run $10-15k less than new. To be honest our 1st choice is the X5, especially the diesel model (25mpg mind you) but the reliability or lack there of really worries me.

Thus we started looking at the GX460. Anyone cross shop the X5 before buying their GX?

All thoughts would be appreciated - mike

Last edited by mike444; 11-28-14 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Meant 460 not 470
Old 11-28-14, 05:43 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mike444
Clearly I know you all can be unbiased in the answer to this question

We are looking to downsize from our 05 Sequoia (180,000 miles !!!!) but still need something with a third row. We are looking at used CPO models since they run $10-15k less than new. To be honest our 1st choice is the X5, especially the diesel model (25mpg mind you) but the reliability or lack there of really worries me.

Thus we started looking at the GX460. Anyone cross shop the X5 before buying their GX?

All thoughts would be appreciated - mike
I did and obviously ended up here. The quick things that I remembered is that the BMW 3rd row was horrible, the interior felt and looked very plasticy (not a word but it's how I felt), the 3.3 engine lacked the feel of power that the 4.6 does. Maintenance, ouch, costly on the X5. Comfort of the 460 is much better. My friend bough a X5 Diesel a day after I bought my GX, every time he gets in mine he says he made a mistake in buying the BMW. His BMW has rattles in it and my GX has none and I have over double the miles that he does, the ride in the X5 is harsh but it does handle great and it is fun to drive.

Just my .02
Old 11-28-14, 09:22 AM
mike444
Driver School Candidate

Thx Eppie. This will be my wife's car for running our 2 kids all over the place. She drives around 25k per year so part of me really wants to get the best mpg we can, given her current likes. That said I'm starting to lean towards the GX because the couple of bucks I save in gas getting the X5 diesel will be more than offset by repair expenses down the road.

It's hard to move away from Toyota because our Sequoia has treated us so well over the years. Only down side has been the mpg which has averaged just below 14 overall.
Old 11-28-14, 11:59 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

I average 16.5 city driving and all highway I usually get 20 MPG.
Old 11-28-14, 01:24 PM
redbrick
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo...if mpg is your priority...then looking at an suv may not be what you should be looking for. It seems a sequoia is a very small downsize for the money...go for a sedan if kids are old enough. As strange as it may seem, I compared the gx to the e550...in the end, convenience of car seat and safety trumps for the gx. If it weren't for my precious cargo...I'd have taken the unreliable e550...
Old 11-28-14, 03:31 PM
mike444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redbrick
Imo...if mpg is your priority...then looking at an suv may not be what you should be looking for. It seems a sequoia is a very small downsize for the money...go for a sedan if kids are old enough. As strange as it may seem, I compared the gx to the e550...in the end, convenience of car seat and safety trumps for the gx. If it weren't for my precious cargo...I'd have taken the unreliable e550...
We are looking for a minor downsize as my wife is tired of driving the beast....but we still need the 3rd row for occasional car pool/sports team use. MPG is on the list of attributes but is minor compared to other factors like style, luxury feel, quality and reliability.

This is not a thread for suggestions on vehicles but rather to compare and contrast the GX and the X5.
Old 11-28-14, 03:49 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Have you looked at the 3rd row in the X5 yet?
Old 11-28-14, 08:10 PM
mike444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Have you looked at the 3rd row in the X5 yet?
Of course...but i'm interested in what others think. Neither 3rd row is as roomy as our Sequoia's but that is expected as they are midsize suv vs full-size.
Old 11-28-14, 09:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

If I was comparing them new, I would choose the X5 without hesitation. That's the new X5, and its a fabulous vehicle. I have a couple friends with them...and they are very nice.

The previous X5 I'm not so enamored with.
Old 11-29-14, 07:25 AM
mike444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If I was comparing them new, I would choose the X5 without hesitation. That's the new X5, and its a fabulous vehicle. I have a couple friends with them...and they are very nice.

The previous X5 I'm not so enamored with.
My hesitation is what happens in 3 years when i'm out of warranty and little gizmos started to break in the X5. I know the GX is not completely bullet proof but the things people complain about on this forum compared to what is going on over at an X5 forum are night and day and big $$$ difference.

MY wife puts 25k a year on her vehicle so in 5years would you rather own a a GX with 125+k miles or an X5 with 125+k?

Don't forget i'm looking at CPO vehicles. Meaning we are also looking at prior gen X5 2012-2013 as well as the newer one.
Old 11-29-14, 08:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

That's a very legitimate concern. My friend had the previous X5 and she started having problems when it turned about 5-6 years old. Long term the GX will be MUCH more reliable.

I'm not a huge fan of the GX, especially the pre-refresh 460...but it's going to be the more problem free option.
Old 11-29-14, 08:34 AM
kerplunk38
Rookie

I am not sure what diesel costs in your part of the woods but around here it is $1.00 more per gallon at the moment. You will not end up saving money at those prices. I have a GX460 and did cross-shop the X5. I really liked it but my previous experience with my 335i left me with a bad taste in my mouth in terms of BMW and the local dealership.
Old 11-29-14, 08:40 AM
mike444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kerplunk38
I am not sure what diesel costs in your part of the woods but around here it is $1.00 more per gallon at the moment. You will not end up saving money at those prices. I have a GX460 and did cross-shop the X5. I really liked it but my previous experience with my 335i left me with a bad taste in my mouth in terms of BMW and the local dealership.
In MD diesel runs about 20-30 cents more than premium but as you are saying that can fluctuate widely.

I had mostly a good experience with a 2004 325i...until it hit 97k miles and then it was one thing after another with the auto transmission slipping being the final straw.
Old 11-29-14, 08:52 AM
kerplunk38
Rookie

Mine was a 2013 335i X-Drive. Like many other people it experienced dead battery issues in cold weather due to the "Efficient Dynamics" feature in all new BMW's. Also, many nagging electrical issues with windows not wanting to roll all the way up, and the stupid auto start/stop feature not working at times. I'm positive all of those things could have been remedied if the local dealership was worth a damn. The X5 is notorious for having the same cold weather starting problem if you do short trips in cold weather. Sounds like your wife drives enough it wouldn't really affect you.

Originally Posted by mike444
In MD diesel runs about 20-30 cents more than premium but as you are saying that can fluctuate widely.

I had mostly a good experience with a 2004 325i...until it hit 97k miles and then it was one thing after another with the auto transmission slipping being the final straw.
Old 11-29-14, 08:57 AM
mike444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kerplunk38
Mine was a 2013 335i X-Drive. Like many other people it experienced dead battery issues in cold weather due to the "Efficient Dynamics" feature in all new BMW's. Also, many nagging electrical issues with windows not wanting to roll all the way up, and the stupid auto start/stop feature not working at times. I'm positive all of those things could have been remedied if the local dealership was worth a damn. The X5 is notorious for having the same cold weather starting problem if you do short trips in cold weather. Sounds like your wife drives enough it wouldn't really affect you.
Actually she drives the kids to and from school everyday which is 25 miles one direction. So while she spends a majority of her time on the highway she does a fair bit of stopping and going too.

Thx - mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX460 or BMW X5