GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 or BMW X5

Old 11-29-14, 12:46 PM
kerplunk38
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My work was only 8 miles away with a max speed of 45 through town. I found myself having to take the highway around which increased travel time by 15 minutes each day but at least the freaking car would start after work.

Just for the record this type of thing is not a problem with the GX .

Originally Posted by mike444
Actually she drives the kids to and from school everyday which is 25 miles one direction. So while she spends a majority of her time on the highway she does a fair bit of stopping and going too.

Thx - mike
Old 11-29-14, 12:50 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GX is a far more solidly build SUV there is just no comparison.

I have plans to visit places, such as Alaska outdoors, and no way in hell would I want to be in a BMW or Chrysler build SUV in the middle of nowhere at the extreme temperatures worrying about what's going to break next. But I will have no second thoughts in the GX.

SUVs which are built and engineered to be reliable in the extreme conditions are going to be far more reliable for years to come.
Old 11-29-14, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
The GX is a far more solidly build SUV there is just no comparison.

I have plans to visit places, such as Alaska outdoors, and no way in hell would I want to be in a BMW or Chrysler build SUV in the middle of nowhere at the extreme temperatures worrying about what's going to break next. But I will have no second thoughts in the GX.
But the question is are you going to do these things? The OP lives in Maryland, like I do. Odds are the thing will never see more than a snowy gravel road. The GX is a FAR more capable SUV than the X5, but the X5 is more pleasant and engaging to drive on the road. If you don't have a need for the GX's abilities offroad then I personally would not accept its shortcomings on road vs something like an X5.

There are shortcomings, the GX is a truck, its a nice riding truck but it is a truck, and you feel that in certain situations on road. The X5 is engaging and fun to drive in a way that the GX absolutely is not...its almost like having a 5 Series sedan with the ground clearance and cargo flexibility of an SUV. You live in Ontario and plan on taking your GX to Alaska, you get a benefit out of the GX's abilities, we don't here in MD.

The GX and the X5 are just entirely different vehicles. Another friend of mine just ordered a new X5, should be here in a couple weeks. He's a sedan guy, has a 2010 GS350 now, was going to buy another sedan but wants to get the 6,000lb+ bonus depreciation tax savings, and although he hates SUVs he's going to be stuck with one. He drove the GX and in his opinion, it was a "nightmare to drive". Now, its not a nightmare, its just a truck and he's a car guy. He loved the X5 and obviously that was his choice. So really, which vehicle you prefer comes down to what sort of vehicle you really want.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-29-14 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-30-14, 11:05 AM
mike444
Driver School Candidate

"If you don't have a need for the GX's abilities offroad then I personally would not accept its shortcomings on road vs something like an X5."

SW, you are correct that chances are we won't be off roading anytime soon but the major short coming of the X5 that will keep me up at night once the warranty runs out is longterm reliability. Sure I can buy an extended warranty but after talking to my salesman at the BMW dealer, I'm looking at a $74k vehicle. That is $14k more than I was offered for a 2015 GX Luxury with comparable equipment...sans the extended warranty, which I don't think I need with the GX.
Old 11-30-14, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you're going to keep it for a long time, that's a concern I agree. For me it would be a 3 year lease, so it would be fine.

If you want a car like vehicle that is fun to drive on that level, the X5 is worth the money. The question is, is that something you want? If it's not and you're happy with a truck like vehicle, then get the GX it's a great vehicle. If you like the car like drive, but the BMW worries you because of reliability, I'd look at an Acura MDX. Not as sporty as the X5 by a good bit but more than the GX by a good bit.
Old 11-30-14, 01:25 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we won't be off roading anytime soon
Fact of the matter is you don't need to offroad anything in order to benefit from the GX build quality. You can take it as a capability or as increased longetivity over a long period of time if your plan is to keep the car for a while. Components which are overbuild to withstand real offroad use are going to last much longer during the normal use.
Old 11-30-14, 01:42 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a similar situation as you. Except, I bought a Porsche Cayenne instead of the GX. I ended up trading it in a year later for the GX. Why? Because I knew I was going to use the GX as an everyday car, put miles on it, and drive it out of state and around and I didn't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, I gave up a better ride, handing and accelerating vehicle, but in the end, you have to figure out what is the most important and reliability and safety was mine.

At first the GX felt sluggish, but after a while you get used to it and you get used to using the gears it is actually pretty peppy. The only issue is the GX has sloppy handling, but I'm ok with that.
Old 11-30-14, 02:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Other vehicles have a very high level of build quality also, the GX is not alone when it comes to being a reliable vehicle. The bottom line is, it *is* a truck. If you don't want a truck...you don't want a truck. What the OP needs to decide is if they want a truck or a car. The X5 is a car, MDX is a car, RX is a car.
Old 11-30-14, 08:02 PM
mike444
Driver School Candidate

Frank, thx for sharing your experiences. I hope others do the same.

SW, I got your point. Thx.
Old 11-30-14, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Let us know what you choose
Old 12-01-14, 05:46 PM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had both, and Id drive the X5 over the GX anyday. If I had to tow, I'd prefer the X5 diesel. If I needed a third row, I wouldn't touch either of them. The X5 has more sex appeal, and the comfort seats are the best in the industry. The cost of maint is higher than Lexus, but I've had plenty of costly items need replaced on my Lexus vehicles as well. My biggest X5 complaint is the depreciation... Man is it steep!
Old 12-03-14, 01:38 PM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hesitation is what happens in 3 years when i'm out of warranty and little gizmos started to break in the X5.
This is spot on. I don't have the GX because it's fun to drive, it is a vehicle for utility and it doesn't break (you know this already, coming from Toyota products). If you have not had a BMW before, this concern is real. When things break, it is in $1k increments, the car I had prior to the GX was an E39 M5, magical car . . . The check engine light was always on

Whether it was a MAF sensor, a CAM sensor or anything else, something was always breaking. Never major and never earth shattering, but always a PITA. The X5 is nicer to drive, but if you keep cars to 180k . . . I would say that you will want to turn the X5 in at the end of the warranty period, JMO, KH
Old 12-03-14, 03:09 PM
Kitana
Driver

What does your wife want? She will be the one driving it the most. If she has her heart set on a particular vehicle she should go for it with all the driving she does, JMO. I have no experience with BMW's other than riding in friends cars. I had horses and ponies most of my life and mostly drove truck type vehicles. After much searching I went with the GX because it can play as hard as I do, safe for my family, handle snow covered roads decently, tow a trailer/boat, seat up to 7 and the undeniable Toyota reliability reputation. The crappy MPG is not so much an issue since I work from home.
I don't do a lot of city driving unless I'm finding malls or soccer fields.
Old 12-03-14, 03:40 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check consumer reports, compare the X5 and GX there.
Old 12-03-14, 04:13 PM
Kitana
Driver

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Check consumer reports, compare the X5 and GX there.
Consumer Report April 2014 Used Car Reliability Verdicts

I did a similar chart for the Jeep vs Lexus and was told Consumer Reports was run by a bunch of Communists.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX460 or BMW X5