GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dare to be Spontaneous part 1

Old 11-07-14, 08:21 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Dare to be Spontaneous

Instead of the same old routine of work, gym, hangouts, shopping, etc., I decided to cross off 2 items (camping and driving on the beach) on my bucket list this past week. With Saints of Valory's Neon Eyes playing as I packed, I wondered to myself, why doesn't this site have as many photos of adventures with our vehicles, like toyota-4runner.org? Those guys/gals are very active in contributing to their community. I did not buy this to become a mall-finder. This is the Lexus GX 460, a vehicle built for adventure. Enjoy.

Ahh...the good life (the bottle of beer was for props only).

At the end, and still no horses. Oh well, at least there are 301 right here.

As the sky brightens.

I wouldn't mind waking up to this every morning.

Camping on the beach in your Lexus GX 460 doesn't get any better than this.

Sunrise Lexus.

The money shot.

This is what it feels like to own the beach.

As you can see, I was able to average in the mid 20s (with some hypermiling) on the highway. And this is with the Michelin LTX M/S2, a tire with more grip than the OEMs. Overall, I was very impressed with the highway MPGs.

No traffic here.

My supermodel.

Last edited by 11GX460; 12-08-14 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-07-14, 08:40 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Default Dare to be Spontaneous

I can't say enough good things these Michelin LTX M/S2s, I was not worried at all about getting stuck while driving on the beach. I did not air down and was still able to move forward. On my way back, I encountered about 200+ miles of highway driving in the rain and these tires were very stable. It must be the design, where water is channeled away from the tire, allowing for traction. Works with sand, works with water.

Morning breakfast, a MRE (Meals Ready to Eat). True camping style.

Driving on this beach felt like skiing down a bunny hill.

If the GX 460 isn't fuel efficient enough for you, what about this?

Ok, this is where I was seeking a challenge far greater than the ones during the day. As you can see, I was at a slant + the sand level is elevated.

I decided to see if I could drive right through it. But unfortunately, I was stuck and was digging deeper as I gave it some more gas. Instead of airing down the tires, I put the vehicle in Neutral, 4lo (L4), lock the center differential, and then reverse. After giving it some gas, I felt the vehicle moving in reverse and was able to free myself. I probably would've made it if I'd aired down the tires and had forward momentum.

Hotel Lexus. It wasn't too bad. I was able to fit length and width-wise, though my feet was hanging a bit (I am 5'9"). I think a person up to 6' should fit comfortably back there. However, if I had to do it again, I would make sure the back is flat evenly and bring along some cushions. I am used to my pillow top mattress.

Last edited by 11GX460; 12-08-14 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-07-14, 11:54 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Been there, Done that.....

P.S. I still don't understand the covering of the License plate / Tag thing........
Old 11-07-14, 12:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts

Nice pics 11GX460

Originally Posted by Eppieguy

P.S. I still don't understand the covering of the License plate / Tag thing........
He is obviously on the lam
Old 11-07-14, 01:33 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by tecman
Nice pics 11GX460

LOL, I understand now.......
Old 11-07-14, 01:44 PM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's impressive fuel economy numbers. I only see that when going less than 50mph.
Old 11-07-14, 02:17 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tecman
Nice pics 11GX460

Lol. Thanks Tecman. I try to contribute to the GX community as best I could. Eppieguy, I think the reason why some people hide their plates and other sensitive info is because you never know what someone on the internet can do with it. They can already look up your real name and address, if they have the proper access. You want to decrease the probably of becoming a victim. Here's another example, Google maps hide all faces and plate numbers when you do a street view. Isn't that enough when Google does it?
Old 11-07-14, 02:20 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Hammer208S
That's impressive fuel economy numbers. I only see that when going less than 50mph.
I was going at the speed limit (55, 65) or slightly above, depending on the flow of traffic. It wasn't hard at all, I probably could've gotten better results if I didn't have to stop or slow down. I was not using cruise control.
Old 11-07-14, 02:32 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Google does it so they won't be sued.
Old 11-07-14, 03:11 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Google does it so they won't be sued.
Exactly
Old 11-07-14, 03:13 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by 11GX460
Lol. Thanks Tecman. I try to contribute to the GX community as best I could. Eppieguy, I think the reason why some people hide their plates and other sensitive info is because you never know what someone on the internet can do with it. They can already look up your real name and address, if they have the proper access. You want to decrease the probably of becoming a victim. Here's another example, Google maps hide all faces and plate numbers when you do a street view. Isn't that enough when Google does it?
It's easy enough to get your location from this site by IP address and go right to your house, plates etc are the harder option in my opinion.

I was just asking out of curiosity, everybody has their own reasons.
Old 11-07-14, 05:32 PM
kerplunk38
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice photos. Looks like you had fun. The only reason I can logically see to hide license plates online is to stop someone from connecting your online profile to your vehicle. I assume you drive your vehicle in public with your plates visible all of the time so everyone can see them.
Old 11-07-14, 07:41 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Thanks, Kerplunk38. The pictures were taken with my cell phone (LG G3). Actually, after this latest adventure, and when the sky opened up on my way home, I appreciate the GX that much more.
Old 11-07-14, 10:23 PM
Kitana
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice report! We will be down there in a couple weeks and I plan on trying out my new GX in the sand for the first time. I appreciate the info on how you managed and got yourself out of the stuck situation. Since I have the OEM's I will air down a bit. Would not want to end up on Oregon Inlet Idiots page.
Now I have a ready plan of escape when my mother in-law visits. I'll need to pick up some MRE's, M&M's, some H2O, then hit the ABC and avoid the inevitable MIL BS. Cheers.
Old 11-08-14, 06:07 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kitana
Nice report! We will be down there in a couple weeks and I plan on trying out my new GX in the sand for the first time. I appreciate the info on how you managed and got yourself out of the stuck situation. Since I have the OEM's I will air down a bit. Would not want to end up on Oregon Inlet Idiots page.
Now I have a ready plan of escape when my mother in-law visits. I'll need to pick up some MRE's, M&M's, some H2O, then hit the ABC and avoid the inevitable MIL BS. Cheers.
Thank you, Kitana. Just a fyi, if you do get stuck, turn off the traction control button, but be sure to turn it back on once you are free. I didn't, but I remember seeing the traction control light come on and off a few times when I was stuck. Enjoy. It's beautiful down there in the off season.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dare to be Spontaneous part 1