GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New (to me) 2014 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 08:07 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New (to me) 2014 - Questions

I have been a long time Lexus owner (ES and 3 RXs), but I am new to the GX. I just got a 2014 GX-40 w/ Premium Package.

The GX has a lot of the same features my previous RXs had, but of course has some improvements (smoother ride, quieter, better stereo sound, real 4WD). Overall, I like the GX, and think it will fit my needs very well.

I have noticed a couple of draw-backs, so I figured I would ask the forum a few questions. Maybe I missed something, or maybe folks have some ideas that will help.

1) The RX had a console that had the USB connection in it. I found it very handy to just leave my iPod plugged in there. I just had to switch the Source in the radio whenever wanted to listen to it. Since it was in the console, it was out of sight from thieves. On the GX, my iPod won't fir in the small area where the USB ports are. I don't know if an iPod touch would even fit, and they have much less music storage anyway. What have other folks done regarding music from an iPod?

2) The GX obviously weighs more than the RX, and it has a V8 engine to help with that. Some portions of the power band in the GX seem to be peppier, but overall, the GX feels a little more sluggish. Sometimes I manually downshift the transmission to pass a vehicle, etc. Are there any other alternatives?

3) IF you have any must-do suggestions for a newbie, please let me know.

Thanks...

Last edited by dmccombs; 11-03-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-02-14, 09:14 AM
kerplunk38
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on your new GX.

1) Both of our iPhone 6's fit in the console at the same time with no problem. Not sure how big your iPod is.
2) I've never had to manually downshift to pass anyone in my GX. Most likely you just need more time to adjust to your new vehicle.
3) I see you are in New Mexico so I won't tell you to get WeatherTech digi-fit floor liners since you won't see snow/salt. These are a must-do in my area.

Originally Posted by dmccombs
I have been a long time Lexus owner (ES and 3 RXs), but I am new to the GX. I just got a 2014 GX-40 w/ Premium Package.

The GX has a lot of the same features my previous RXs had, but of course has some improvements (smoother ride, quieter, better stereo sound, real 4WD). Overall, I like the GX, and think it will fit my needs very well.

I have noticed a couple of draw-backs, so I figured I would ask the forum a few questions. Maybe I missed something, or maybe folks have some ideas that will help.

1) The RX had a console that had the USB connection in it. I found it very handy to just leave my iPod plugged in there. I just had to switch the Source in the radio whenever wanted to listen to it. Since it was in the console, it was out of sight from thieves. On the GX, my iPod won't fir in the small area where the USB ports are. I don't know if an iPod touch would even fit, and they have much less music storage anyway. What have other folks done regarding music from an iPod?

2) The GX obviously weighs more than the RX, and it has a V* engine to help with that. Some portions of the power band in the GX seem to be peppier, but overall, the GX feels a little more sluggish. Sometimes I manually downshift the transmission to pass a vehicle, etc. Are there any other alternatives?

3) IF you have any must-do suggestions for a newbie, please let me know.

Thanks...
Old 11-02-14, 10:37 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Kerplunk,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the info.

To clarify, your iPhones can fit in the compartment, right up under the radio, that has the USB ports? While I can set a small device in that compartment, I can't close the door so thieves can't see the device. This means I need to unplug and store the device everytime.

Yes, I live in a mild climate, yet I was lucky to get both the standard carpet and the Lexus all-weather mats with my GX. While they aren't the weathertechs, I think I am covered on mats.
Old 11-02-14, 02:57 PM
kerplunk38
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I cannot close the sliding door when the iPhones are present. I never leave those devices in the car as extreme heat and cold wreak havoc on the batteries.
Old 11-02-14, 03:11 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The USB ports, or lack thereof, are one of my biggest complaints. There are only two, and they're hidden under the dash. That's fine for the front passengers, but gives nothing to anyone riding in back.

Why not use Bluetooth streaming OP?
Old 11-02-14, 04:16 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by dmccombs
On the GX, my iPod won't fir in the small area where the USB ports are. I don't know if an iPod touch would even fit, and they have much less music storage anyway. What have other folks done regarding music from an iPod?

2) The GX obviously weighs more than the RX, and it has a V* engine to help with that. Some portions of the power band in the GX seem to be peppier, but overall, the GX feels a little more sluggish. Sometimes I manually downshift the transmission to pass a vehicle, etc. Are there any other alternatives?
I keep an iPod nano in that compartment for my GX (Limited storage, 16G).
Yes, you will notice that you must manually shift the GX for performance when needed.
Old 11-02-14, 04:17 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28

Why not use Bluetooth streaming OP?
I do use the Streaming Bluetooth on my phone sometimes, but then I am having to handle my phone. I hate to pull over just to switch up my music stored on my phone. Other times I use Pandora, but I need to be in a 4G area for that.

I live in New Mexico, and some area don't have cell coverage. In those cases, I like to play music off the iPod. Also, it sounds a little better then playing via bluetooth.

I am perplexed why they put the USB ports in a compartment that isn't big enough to hold a reasonable sized device. At the same time, the main console storage is huge, but has no ports. WTH?

Last edited by dmccombs; 11-02-14 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-02-14, 04:24 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

You can feed a USB cord to the main console.
Old 11-02-14, 06:32 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Without drilling holes? I have taken the panels off, and can see where you could feed it back, but to make it truly invisible, it looks like you have to drill a substantial hole in the front compartment.

They didn't put any USB ports in the main console because of the "cool box" option.
Old 11-03-14, 08:29 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

OP - Best of luck with your GX, enjoy..
Old 11-03-14, 09:26 AM
dmccombs
Driver

JT4,

Thank You... I got to drive the GX more over the weekend, and I am really enjoying it. It is a noticeable upgrade from my RX overall. The Pros outweigh the Cons for my needs.

Pros:
- Smoother Ride
- Quieter Ride
- Better Stereo
- Real 4WD
- The Enform App which I use a lot, seems to sync up much more reliably so far.
-- I am guessing this is firmware related, and should be a non-issue, but it isn't, since getting Lexus service to upgrade your firmware costs us at least an hour labor. I find this ridiculous since the only reason we would need a firmware update is to fix issues.

Cons:
- 3 MPG worse gas mileage (for me).
- Side Mirros don't auto-fold
- Some parts of the power band are more sluggish (I think I will adjust quickly, and this will be a non-issue).
- Ipod (having to store it away each time I use it instead of leaving it plugged in for use whenever I want it.)
- I prefer the RX back door. I got spoiled by the remote open/close function.
- Lack of a decent sized storage compartment in the rear. I used to keep a tire pump and a few small tools in the RX spare tire well. I don't see anyplace in the back area for these things, unless I leave them out in the cargo area bouncing around.

While it looks like my Cons list is Bigger than the Pros list, the items on the Pros list are more important.

Last edited by dmccombs; 11-03-14 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 03:53 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Without drilling holes? I have taken the panels off, and can see where you could feed it back, but to make it truly invisible, it looks like you have to drill a substantial hole in the front compartment.

They didn't put any USB ports in the main console because of the "cool box" option.
I took a quick peek this morning to see if it was possible to use a USB splitter at the disconnect.

Looks like a no on that.

I wonder if the front compartment will separate in order to just cut a notch for the wire?
Attached Thumbnails New (to me) 2014 - Questions-image.jpg  
Old 11-04-14, 10:13 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Thanks for checking.

What's worse is that there is no room in that compartment to even plug a USB device in, and still close the compartment. Even a 90* USB adapter is too tall.

I've just been running a AC->USB cord from the back AC plug. It doesn't hook up to the sound system, but at least I'm able to charge the Samsung Tab that is velcro'd on the back of the passenger seat for my daughter. #redneck
Old 11-05-14, 08:28 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Thanks for the feedback...

I am getting used to the GX acceleration curve, so that will work out fine.

I guess there is no decent solution to the front usb issue. Short of drilling holes in the front compartment and the console, there isn't a place to store an ipod with the ipod connection. The engineers deserve some old fashioned nuggies for that one.

Aside from that and the few other nitpicks I listed above, I am really enjoying the GX.
Old 11-12-14, 04:17 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Interface kit for IPOD

This link might help with the best way to tap into the USB

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2014/2436.html

there is an installation manual which shows how to hook into the head unit for an IPOD

Quick Reply: New (to me) 2014 - Questions