GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Third row seat questions, concerns, other info

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 04:07 AM
crv2014
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use their third row?

We are looking to buy GX 460 and one of the things that is of some importance to us is the third row space. I am curious how many regularly use it, and if so for how long can one manage (someone shorter, like 5'3"--5'4" or shorter for instance) back there?

Our prior ride was X5 and that was okay for the third row. We could get 2 hrs or so before someone complained that its too cramped. It was a great way to transport guests etc. for shorter rides.

I know SUVs in general are bad as far as third row is concerned, so our expectations are not too high I do love the fact that they are automatic in 460 -- so helpful!
Old 10-10-14, 06:12 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally have never sat back there but friends have on a few occasions and with the middle row pushed up a little there is enough leg room back there for 2 adults. The only complaint I heard after an hour and a half ride is the seats don't have much cushion and their butts got a bit sore.
Old 10-10-14, 06:59 AM
mistabuyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't stuck any adults back there yet, but 1 or 2 of my kids are back there once or twice a week with no problems; the oldest being almost 5' tall. I've taken them on several 1-4 hour trips and have not had any complaints regarding seat comfort or leg room. I don't think I would want to sit back there for more than an hour though as I'm certain I'd get the sore butt syndrome since most of the body weight will be on the butt as the floorpan is not low enough; your knees will be a little high hence less weight support is distributed to your legs and thighs (all relative to the middle row).
Old 10-10-14, 02:35 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I sat there myself for about 30 minutes and it is fine. I'm not that big though , 5'8" and 160 lbs. My 13 years old has no problem sitting back there (5'5" and 100 lbs)....
Old 10-12-14, 07:25 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I concur with the others. The third row seats are a fairly convenient way to strap a few more passengers in for a short trip, but that's it. Not terribly comfortable, but not Turkish prison bad.
Old 10-24-14, 11:00 PM
brycejaq
Driver

I have a 470 and have had my 6'0 father and 5'0 mother in the 3rd row of mine for around town trips with no problems. I've also sat back there around town w/out issue...not sure I'd want to sit there much longer than an hour, though.

Pretty sure our GX will be getting replaced with a Sequoia if we ever need to use the 3rd more regularly.
Old 10-25-14, 05:14 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Never even rolled up the 3rd row. I sometimes wish i can actually take them out for more storage space.
Old 10-25-14, 06:59 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Never even rolled up the 3rd row. I sometimes wish i can actually take them out for more storage space.
You can, others here have.
Old 10-25-14, 07:02 AM
Chc4au
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had a 2011 Gx for 4 years now and am picking up base with premium package 2015 Monday. I was at first concerned about third row not being powered until my wife reminded me we have maybe used it 5 times in 4 years for grandkids so no worries.
Old 10-26-14, 10:40 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use it with teenagers or younger. Tough to get some adults back there but nice to have when you need to haul 7 somewhere. Use it maybe 5 times a year.
Old 10-27-14, 04:32 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never even opened it up, I have the Weathertech All-weather mat back there. If I had a choice I would not even have it, coming from an original GX470 that did not have it I miss the 5 inches of lost storage space due to the higher rear floor to accommodate the rear seats.
Old 10-27-14, 05:37 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Take it out if you don't want it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-removal.html
Attached Thumbnails Third row seat questions, concerns, other info-image.jpg  
Old 10-28-14, 04:25 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Wow, that is a bit much to go through....and the end result is a bit rough. It would be nice if it was an option, that way you get a factory fit and finish if you do not select it.
Old 10-29-14, 05:18 AM
seiclan
Driver School Candidate

We use the third row on our 2014 GX luxury a lot during the summer when we get many visitors. It is fine and its in fact much more roomy and comfortable than my 2006 GX. Even my 5'10 son has sat back there without discomfort. I wouldn't use it for really long trips (over an hour) but we regularly use it for the 30 min trip to a dinner out when we have more than 5 adults in the car. Most difficult part of it is getting IN and OUT of the third row.
Old 11-12-14, 08:23 AM
Mincer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by seiclan
Most difficult part of it is getting IN and OUT of the third row.
You can always access the 3rd row from the back.
We plan on installing a step for our trailer hitch to assist our 7 year old daughter in accessing "her" 3rd row seat from the rear hatch. We'll soon have 2 child seats in the middle row, so tipping the seats far enough forward to grant access to the 3rd row won't really work.
The plan is to leave one 3rd row seat up and the other folded flat to provide the easiest possible entry from the tailgate as well as usable cargo space.

My wife and I came to the conclusion that this is the most useful arrangement for those with 3 or more kids plus multiple child seats. We actually bought the car knowing that we would need to load and unload the kids in this manner. It was either the Lexus or Mercedes GL450... We're doing everything we can to NOT buy a mini van!

Last edited by Mincer; 11-12-14 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Third row seat questions, concerns, other info