GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rattle in Left Rear Corner

Old 08-26-12, 12:43 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb Rattle in Left Rear Corner

It took a second trip to Koons Lexus of Wilmington to solve, but the rattle is gone.

It was a very quiet sound, which was only noticeable on smooth roads so it probably was caused by air moving the plastic panels in the wheel well. It took three trips around the block with the Service Manager and technicians to confirm, isolate and diagnose the sound ... driving over rough paving caused enough noise to mask the sound.

This time new clips were secured by screws that force them to expand and prevents them from loosening ... so we were told. Why it only affected the left rear corner and was so difficult to solve is unknown, but our truck is quiet again ... as it should be and as it has been for three years.
Regards,

SaniDel
The following users liked this post:
ajaguilar (12-03-21)
Old 08-27-12, 05:35 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Koz
Old 09-29-14, 06:52 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Wrong Part = Rattles???

Hello team,

Got my '15 Nebula Gray Pearl / Sepia about a week ago (haven't done the intro. yet...) and there are annoying rattles right at around the gas tank. The noise is louder as you go faster. Let my spouse drive it while I sit in the third row trying to find what is wrong.

What I found out was the plastic cover in the wheel well was NOT secured tightly. When I tap it it rattles as so high winds blow past it. Look like they forgot to spray the rubber-thingy as the rest of other parts in the wheel well. I attached couple pics here so please take a look at yours and let me know if mine is BAD/WRONG.

I appreciate your help. I have a 15-16 hours road-trip coming up in 4 days so I need it to be "fixed" ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle in Left Rear Corner-wheel-well1.png   Rattle in Left Rear Corner-wheel-well.png  
Old 09-29-14, 07:00 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i cant see pictures
Old 09-29-14, 10:51 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i cant see pictures
Me Neither.
Old 09-29-14, 11:34 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

I couldn't see it at first but now can. I think CL servers had some issues today....It takes forever to load the page and sometimes timeout on me....

Here is the RAW pics
Attached Thumbnails Rattle in Left Rear Corner-wheel-well1.jpg   Rattle in Left Rear Corner-wheel-well.jpg  
Old 09-29-14, 11:57 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle in Left Rear Corner-003.jpg   Rattle in Left Rear Corner-ghh.jpg  
Old 09-29-14, 12:03 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

that look the same as mine.

When you push slightly against it, does it rattle? Mine is very flimsy and it rattles when you touch it.
Old 09-29-14, 12:10 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

It definitely has play in it. I can see how the wind would cause the rattling.

Last edited by tecman; 09-29-14 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 12:13 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by tecman
It defiantly has play in it. I can see how the wind would cause the rattling.
Do you hear the rattling from inside the vehicle? May be I need to duct-tape it? Why don't they rubber-spraying it like the rest of the wheel well?
Old 09-29-14, 12:46 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I haven't noticed the rattle. I looked closer on both sides and the loose flap is only on the drivers side. It is a cover for the fuel refill line. The pics may be a little confusing but notice the exhaust pipe and the wheel to the left. I would try stuffing some towels into the opening....

Towels wrapped around a fuel line That's not a hazard right
Maybe find something fire proof.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle in Left Rear Corner-003.jpg   Rattle in Left Rear Corner-dfgdf.jpg   Rattle in Left Rear Corner-dfgvf.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
psolov (04-27-19)
Old 09-29-14, 01:09 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Man...You are great and helpful and quick to....

From the 3rd row, open the square pocket I can see and touch the other side of that plastic part. this is how the noise get inside the cabin. Can you see/touch that part as well?

May be a trip to the dealer is needed...only 250 miles so far....They SUCK at fixing rattles and creaks anyway...

Thank YOU.
Old 09-29-14, 01:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Light work day for me, Glad to help. I am not sure of your question and I removed my 3rd row.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle in Left Rear Corner-ghn.jpg   Rattle in Left Rear Corner-005.jpg  
Old 09-29-14, 04:16 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Hello team,

Got my '15 Nebula Gray Pearl / Sepia about a week ago (haven't done the intro. yet...) and there are annoying rattles right at around the gas tank. The noise is louder as you go faster. Let my spouse drive it while I sit in the third row trying to find what is wrong.

What I found out was the plastic cover in the wheel well was NOT secured tightly. When I tap it it rattles as so high winds blow past it. Look like they forgot to spray the rubber-thingy as the rest of other parts in the wheel well. I attached couple pics here so please take a look at yours and let me know if mine is BAD/WRONG.

I appreciate your help. I have a 15-16 hours road-trip coming up in 4 days so I need it to be "fixed" ASAP.
It's new, it's an annoying sound - take it back to the dealer and point out where the issue is - even take the head mechanic on a ride along and make them fix it. I could offer suggestions to fix but it technically would mean you are modifying the truck and the dealer will forever look away from that part if an issue arises unless you can prove otherwise.

Suggestion: change the rivet clip that holds those covers in place and change it to screws. You will need to also buy clips that the screws can tighten onto but these can be bought at most auto stores.
Old 09-29-14, 05:34 PM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my 2010 had the same sound. had it to the dealer 2 times for diagnostic. it was that piece of plastic. there fix was 2 pan head screws to cinch it down. not crazy about that but the noise is gone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle in Left Rear Corner