GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-14, 06:24 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to nitrogen, you won't have that problem anymore.
Old 09-23-14, 06:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Another benefit of nitrogen is that has no water in it, air has water. This will help maintain wheels that are chrome. I had chrome flaking on my MDX and was told by my wheel shop that nitrogen preserves the integrity of the wheel along with better tire pressure performance.
Old 09-24-14, 01:47 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Regular air is 85% nitrogen. I think your wheel shop was blowing smoke. Has nothing to do with chrome flaking...
Old 09-24-14, 03:31 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Did a quick Google search and this came up at the top of the search page.
Popular Mechanics

Q: Is there any advantage to using nitrogen instead of compressed air in tires? Will I notice improved fuel economy or a smoother ride? Will my tires last longer?

A: Sort of. From the top: Air is 78 percent nitrogen, just under 21 percent oxygen, and the rest is water vapor, CO2 and small concentrations of noble gases such as neon and argon. We can ignore the other gases.

There are several compelling reasons to use pure nitrogen in tires.

First is that nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term. Racers figured out pretty quickly that tires filled with nitrogen rather than air also exhibit less pressure change with temperature swings. That means more consistent inflation pressures during a race as the tires heat up. And when you're tweaking a race car's handling with half-psi changes, that's important.

Passenger cars can also benefit from the more stable pressures. But there's more: Humidity (water) is a Bad Thing to have inside a tire. Water, present as a vapor or even as a liquid in a tire, causes more of a pressure change with temperature swings than dry air does. It also promotes corrosion of the steel or aluminum rim.

If I ever need to top off a tire when I'm out on the road, I'll always briefly depress the tire chuck's valve with my thumbnail and vent some air. If my thumb gets wet, there's water in the line. Some gas stations don't do a very good job of keeping the humidity out of their air system. I don't even like to use a water-based tire-mounting lubricant unless I can let the tire bake in the sun for a couple of hours before I air it up and seat the bead. I've dismounted tires (not mine) that had several quarts of water inside—probably from a compressed-air hose that collected water and was never purged properly.

How is water relevant to a nitrogen discussion? Any system that delivers pure nitrogen is also going to deliver dry nitrogen. Filling tires with nitrogen involves filling and purging several times in succession, serially diluting the concentration of oxygen in the tire. This will also remove any water.

It's certainly simple, although time-consuming, for a tire technician to fill and bleed tires. But most shops use a machine that not only generates almost pure nitrogen by straining the oxygen out of shop-compressed air, but will also automatically go through several purge cycles unattended. Some shops have been charging as much as $30 per tire for this service. I think that's too much. If you're buying a new tire, it should be far less. Still, the nitrogen generator, filling system and technician's time aren't free—the dealer is entitled to some return for that.

So, to answer your specific questions: With nitrogen, your tire pressures will remain more constant, saving you a small amount in fuel and tire-maintenance costs. There will be less moisture inside your tires, meaning less corrosion on your wheels. You will not be able to feel any difference in the ride or handling or braking, unless your tire pressures were seriously out of spec and changing to nitrogen brought them back to the proper numbers.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788
Old 12-23-14, 02:56 PM
tycol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's the reset button for TPMS light??

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I just picked up my 2015 Gx460 last month. The TPMS light stays on after I changed the snow tires. Can anyone tell me where the reset button for TPMS is located? I've searched the forum but couldn't find the answer. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-23-14, 03:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Have you checked the tire pressure after the installation?

There isn't a reset button. If the pressure is good, It sounds like they removed all of them or at least one of them when they replaced your tires. Was this done a reputable company?
I had a shop tell me that they sent a customers wheels and tires to Discount Tire and they removed the monitors and threw them away

I lost my spare tire due to my exhaust set up and could not get the trouble light to clear until I had the monitor installed in one of the wheels. I now have two monitors in one wheel.
Old 12-24-14, 08:18 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Isn't there a monitor in the spare tire? There has to be a way to set the threshold for pressure. My GS had a button under the steering wheel. Checking the GX...that button doesn't seem to exist.
Old 12-24-14, 10:21 AM
tycol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
Have you checked the tire pressure after the installation?

There isn't a reset button. If the pressure is good, It sounds like they removed all of them or at least one of them when they replaced your tires. Was this done a reputable company?
I had a shop tell me that they sent a customers wheels and tires to Discount Tire and they removed the monitors and threw them away

I lost my spare tire due to my exhaust set up and could not get the trouble light to clear until I had the monitor installed in one of the wheels. I now have two monitors in one wheel.
Thanks for your reply! I have two sets of tires and wheels. They all come with full set of TPMS. I checked the pressure, including the spare tire, they are all good. That's pretty bad if we don't have the reset button. I checked my RX and ES, they do come with the reset buttons under the dash. Hmmmmm....... That means I need to go to the dealer or buy a special tool to program it every time I do the tire rotation or swap???
Old 12-24-14, 10:24 AM
tycol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Isn't there a monitor in the spare tire? There has to be a way to set the threshold for pressure. My GS had a button under the steering wheel. Checking the GX...that button doesn't seem to exist.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it looks like the new GX doesn't come with the TPMS reset button... I looked everywhere under the dash or steering wheel, no luck.....
Old 12-24-14, 07:31 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

If you have two sets of monitors, you will need to take it to the dealer to register the new numbers with your vehicle.
Old 12-24-14, 09:17 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

If you have two sets of monitors, you will need to take it to the dealer to register the new numbers with your vehicle.
Correct, with my understanding along with the frustrations that I encountered previously. The GX looks for five monitors and this is not adjustable.
If you have two sets of wheels, the GX only recognizes the five monitors that are programmed into the system.
This would require a reprogram every time you changed wheels, unless you transferred the monitors.
A duplicate set of monitors would be ideal, but I don't think that is an option?
Old 12-24-14, 11:01 PM
tycol
Driver School Candidate

I just tried to use ateq quickset to register the new sensor IDs to the car. But no luck, the TPMS light stays on. The ateq quickset works for my ES and RX, and it requires to press and hold the TPMS button after I register the sensor IDs. It looks like I need to take the car to the dealer to reprogram the IDs due to the missing TPMS reset button....right?

BTW, did anyone try the ateq VT30? Does it work for the GX? If it works, it will save my time and money instead of going to the dealer twice a year for this issue...
Old 12-24-14, 11:03 PM
tycol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
Correct, with my understanding along with the frustrations that I encountered previously. The GX looks for five monitors and this is not adjustable.
If you have two sets of wheels, the GX only recognizes the five monitors that are programmed into the system.
This would require a reprogram every time you changed wheels, unless you transferred the monitors.
A duplicate set of monitors would be ideal, but I don't think that is an option?
Did you try the ateq VT30? Does it work for the GX? Thanks!
Old 12-25-14, 09:08 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2006 didn't have a reset button, but there was a button under the steering wheel area with two positions - in or out. One position was for a regular tire set, the other for a secondary set so you could swap them out. Did they do away with this?

A common problem was if you hit the button by mistake, you got the low tire pressure signal and could go crazy trying to figure out why...
Old 12-25-14, 02:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tycol
Did you try the ateq VT30? Does it work for the GX? Thanks!
I'm not sure of the model that was used in the attempt to clear out the spare tire monitor.
A hardwire connection was made to the main computer to clear all monitors. The mechanic went around to all four wheels with the wireless programmer and scaned them back into the system.
The trouble light came back on shortly after so apparently the GX must have five monitors (assuming the process was done correctly).

Quick Reply: TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns