GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

Old 08-05-10, 05:29 PM
TASGX10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Windshield

Have only owned my GX for two weeks and I took a rock yesterday on top of windshield edge and roof. Windshield needs replaced and two nice rock chips already...Safelite is having difficulty getting a new one. I was told it would have to come from a Lexus dealer. Anyone had one replaced?
Old 08-05-10, 05:57 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TASGX10
Have only owned my GX for two weeks and I took a rock yesterday on top of windshield edge and roof. Windshield needs replaced and two nice rock chips already...Safelite is having difficulty getting a new one. I was told it would have to come from a Lexus dealer. Anyone had one replaced?
Sorry to hear that. I have already a rock chip as well. I don't know when it even happened as I have not heard anything hitting it. I don't know what manufacturer Toyota uses, but I never had rock chips in any brand beside Toyora/Lexus
Old 08-06-10, 02:57 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Take it to the dealer and let them order the windshield. They will give you a loaner when the glass comes in and have someone install the glass. Sorry to hear about your windshield and chips...
Old 08-06-10, 05:50 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by Craig B
Take it to the dealer and let them order the windshield. They will give you a loaner when the glass comes in and have someone install the glass. Sorry to hear about your windshield and chips...
Don't recommend it. When I had my gs350, I have asked the dealer how much to replace it, they quoted 1200 vs. 250 I have paid through some glass company I don't remember who. If you don't mind going through your insurance and pay the deductable, than the dealer is the way to go as you will get a winshield with a little Lexus logo.
Old 08-06-10, 07:44 AM
rkuelbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On any Lexus vehicle, I would ALWAYS recommend getting the glass from the dealer, especially since almost all insurance companies have a very small "glass deductible", and generally don't count glass claims against you.

When you bought that Lexus, you paid more than someone who bought a Chevy or a Toyota, etc., and there's a lot of reasons. One of the luxury features you may not have noticed was UV-reducing glass. I never can remember the exact numbers on each separate piece of glass (I can look them up in some Lexus NCF books at home), but the different pieces of glass in your car block UV-A and UV-B radiation from 30-100%. This is one of the reasons you will find most 10-15 year old Lexus cars have good-looking interiors, as the leather and plastic hasn't been dried-out and cracked by the sun's UV rays.

Also, you didn't mention your year, but I'll assume your GX likely has auto wipers. Most all rain sensor issues seen at the dealership are related to aftermarket glass installation.

Replacing you glass with anything other than original Lexus glass is basically the same as buying a $400 dollar pair of good polarized sunglasses, then replacing the lenses with some out of a $5 pair of drug store shades.
The following users liked this post:
gfcipriani (07-24-22)
Old 08-06-10, 01:56 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the US, but I only pay $25 deductible, and the insurance company will take care of the rest. Because almost everything is cheaper in America than in Canada, I would assume the deductible your insurance company charge would be around the same as what I pay, or maybe even lower.
Old 08-06-10, 04:31 PM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I have $100.00 deductable for glass...
Old 08-06-10, 05:28 PM
TASGX10
Driver School Candidate

I have no deductible..I am still waiting for safelite to get a windshield from Lexus.
Old 08-06-10, 07:11 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

I am with StateFarm in NC and they no longer have glass coverage and it goes against regular deductible. Previously if you had a rock chip, those were repaired free of charge. It is no longer a case (maybe just in NC???). The good times are over.
Old 08-07-10, 09:23 PM
wman4315
Driver School Candidate

Besides the auto wipers the GX460 has a heating element built into the windshield
Old 08-08-10, 08:03 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Sorry to hear that. I have already a rock chip as well. I don't know when it even happened as I have not heard anything hitting it. I don't know what manufacturer Toyota uses, but I never had rock chips in any brand beside Toyora/Lexus
infiniti also gets rock chips in windshield. been thru 2 windshields so far. Probably has to do with how fast going on highway
Old 08-09-10, 08:13 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luke27617
I am with StateFarm in NC and they no longer have glass coverage and it goes against regular deductible. Previously if you had a rock chip, those were repaired free of charge. It is no longer a case (maybe just in NC???). The good times are over.
I have State Farm in NY and full glass coverage with no deductible. In fact I have just replaced my windshield in the Gen 1 GX twice in the last 6 weeks with Lexus glass for no out of pocket. NOw if I could just stay out of the way of the gravel trucks...
Old 08-10-10, 03:30 AM
TASGX10
Driver School Candidate

Safelite has replacement glass and molding from dealer..Install is Wednesday. Hope they do a good job. 2 week old GX 460 and new glass
Old 08-01-11, 12:06 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Default Windshield Cracks

Has anyone else experienced rock cracks in the windshield? I just had my second one and am thankful I did not pay the $1300 to replace it the first time but had a local stop-a-crack fill it in. They both are up high in the area of my tint strip and began to run the same day because of the heat in the south. They are not noticeable because of the tint strip but I hate to know they are there. Also found out why the windshield is so dang expensive even with a discount. There is some film that is like rain-x already on the glass and it is a dealer only purchase. The first one happened while driving around 30mph. Is this a problem anyone else has experienced?
Old 08-02-11, 09:13 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This was very common on the GX470, due to "soft glass" and the angle of the windshield. I believe the same glass and angle is used on the GX460, so I expect the same results. I had the windshield replaced 3 times in 4 years, first with an OEM Lexus one (1 year into a lease), that lasted 6 months, then with the aftermarket ones that lasted about a year each. It's good to have glass insurance for this vehicle. Chances are you will be replacing glass often. Search first gen thread for aftermarket windshield recommendations. Wait until your glass cracks when it affects your sight, or if you can't pass inspection and then replace it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements