GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

Old 08-25-14, 09:17 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on the size of the chip in the paint I'd add that to the glass claim as well since there will be a no fault claim opened anyway.
Old 08-25-14, 12:10 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an appointment with GEICO in the morning for an estimate, hoping it covers the OEM replacement at the dealer. Maybe with the paint chip added in it will.
A dolphin etched in the glass would be really cool.
Old 08-26-14, 03:30 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

GEICO Really came through on this. They are paying for OEM Glass, installed at my Lexus dealer. Even paying 2 days rental car. Had a check in 1/2 an hour this morning. Great service from GEICO!
Old 08-26-14, 04:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Great, glad to hear that. Did you put the chipped paint on the claim?
Old 08-27-14, 06:52 AM
Kitana
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which dealer are you going to? A friend of mine is a manager at the Lindsay collision center in Springfield. Let us know how it all goes.
Old 08-27-14, 09:18 AM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies. Tecman - yes they added in the paint chip, it is a small amount. Kitana - I plan on taking it to Lindsay, that is my dealer too. I have had good success with them.
Old 08-27-14, 09:27 AM
redbrick
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Res+ will require dealer replacement
Old 09-15-14, 10:16 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I also just replaced my windshield about 1 week ago. Paid about $333 in cash through one of my local SafeLite repair centers. I could not tell the difference between a SafeLite windshield and the original one that was cracked. As a fyi, I bought the vehicle pre-loved; so therefore, it could've been replaced with a SafeLite when I bought it. Attached are some pics. My installer did a good job. The moldings, inspection, registration, etc. were replaced.

Passenger side molding

Driver side molding. As you can sorta see, my state inspection was removed from the old and placed on the new.

Upper left hand corner of windshield. No blurriness or anything, just clear glass with a slight tint on the top.

Center of top windshield with rain senor and rear view mirror re-installed. Like my wide-view mirror, don't you? It's like having eyes behind your head.

Upper right hand corner of windshield. Again, no blurriness.
Old 09-15-14, 10:37 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

why not have the lexus dealer do it? insurance should cover that as well..
Old 09-15-14, 10:55 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Only comprehensive insurance covers windshield with a $500 deductible or something like that. Seriously, I've even looked into bullet-resistant windshields, but the cost of those are astronomical.
Old 10-03-14, 11:59 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I made several calls yesterday. Safelite quoted $350 and assured me that the quality/thickness of the glass is the same but without the Lexus Logo and the high price.

Another company quoted me $370.

I spoke to the owner of another shop and when I told him I had the GX 460 he said "Oh, I can't get any of my guys to touch the Lexus truck" I ask why, is it difficult to deal with? He said "I don't know, I just can't get them to do it."
I asked him the same question about glass quality and got the same answer as above.

I have a $1000 deductible and will be going to Safelite next week.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield questions, repairs, replacements-image.jpg  

Last edited by tecman; 10-03-14 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 12:15 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep my comp (glass) coverage at $100.00 deductible because for some reason rocks are drawn to my windshield and between the GX and the Corvette with heads up display glass the glass can be quite expensive.
Old 10-03-14, 07:45 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Wow, that's a long crack. And the worst thing is, any crack, large or small, can spread depending on weather and road condition (for example, twisty and bumpy roads or car parked under a hot day) are conducive to further crackings once the windshield has been compromised. One possible way to avoid cracks and chips on a windshield is to not travel as close to the vehicle in front of you, especially big trucks, since they tend to kick up more rocks due to their huge tires.

And yes, there is a federal regulation when it comes to windshields. Here's a bit of info I found on the internet.

http://www.carwindshields.info/winds...ions-standards

I chose Safelite not only because of price, but because they are renowned for repairing windshields. And when you are renowned for windshields repairs, you generally have the latest equipment and technics since that's your whole business! Depending on location, they customer service can also be very good. I used Yelp to find the best Safelite around my neck of the woods. You should also search around for a coupon. You may find one that's good for $20 off, making the deal, even better! Good luck.
Old 10-03-14, 08:10 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

when i had my corolla, i had the windshield replaced 2x. It was never the same, since they use a different rubber seal around window edges that dont channel water like the OEM from toyota. Also, the black/tinted spots on windshield were different.
I honestly would just get OEM glass from dealer.
Does aftermarket glass affect the rain sensing mechanism for our wipers?
Old 10-03-14, 08:57 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

I cannot speak for ALL aftermarket glass and glass installers, but it did not affect my rain sensing wipers. However, you do have to let them know that your vehicle has rain sensors so that they can select the correct glass for you since not all trim levels of the same vehicle has that feature as standard equipment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements