GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-13, 05:45 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a big difference between OEM and non-OEM windshields. The Lexus OEM windshield is specially designed and engineered to provide up to 45% of the structural integrity of the vehicle’s cabin (up to 60% in a rollover). The glass itself is thicker and uses special adhesives which also make it quieter. The OEM glass goes through a very different manufacturing process that entails a very stringent quality control that insures a much higher optical clarity and superior fit. There is also a hydrophobic permanent coating to repel water. There is a reason why the OEM glass is so much more expensive.

Koz
Old 08-23-13, 07:51 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

well, firstly your insurance company should of covered this, and u should look into that.
2ndly, i would go with the oem glass which 3rdly should be done by the dealer or whoever they use, period.
Old 08-23-13, 10:33 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
well, firstly your insurance company should of covered this, and u should look into that.
2ndly, i would go with the oem glass which 3rdly should be done by the dealer or whoever they use, period.
I agree!

Koz
Old 09-13-13, 11:53 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most insurance companies dictate who you can use for glass repair. Mine does not give you a choice but to use Safelite. The minute you say glass claim they route you right to the glass folks.

It's my understanding that Safelite manufactures its own glass or has someone do it for them.

I'm not impressed by their work by any means. Sub standard work and inferior parts. The same goes for Glass Doctor if they are still around.

The last two experiences with Safelite were so bad I had my own insurance company look at what they paid for! I'm guessing I'm one in a million that complained and the entire deal fell on deaf ears! The first time they sent someone out that was 3 sheets to the wind and he cut the dash with the razor knife also broke all the clips that held the molding and broke off the heated windshield wire clip. I called Safelite during the install and begged to have someone else sent out but to no avail. Entire dash had to be replaced as well as all the molding. The second experience was just as bad. Broke the wiper arms and tried to fix them with duct tape. Also broke the cowl molding.

My take with Safelite is awful! Period!

When Glass Doctor replaced the glass they scrapped the paint and dented the hood. They blamed the previous installer for the damage and also noted the rust from Safelites last install. They also noted that on the ticket if a claim arose from it. Screwed again!

I've seen work on other cars too that they have done. Not impressed either. That nice inside garnish that's covered in cloth was either torn or had that black glue on it.

I've not had any work done in a while knock on wood.
Old 09-13-13, 01:47 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The insurance company will only dictate where you get your glass fixed if you allow them to. They cannot tell you where you must have your vehicle repaired. I just get my glass fixed and send them the receipt, they mail me a check minus my deductable.
Old 01-28-14, 07:34 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this at Sewell:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X460-2013.html

Maybe that is why the dealer charges 1300-1600 for the new windshield.

I read up on everyones opinions and it sounds like OEM is the way to go. Although, it looks like I'll be paying 1k more than if I were to go to Safelite or some other place.

Last edited by frank69m; 01-28-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 10:37 AM
JDSTL
Rookie

I'd take it to the dealer. They likely sub the work out to someone else but your contact would be the dealership and they should be more likely to make sure it is done correctly and correct any issues.

Since you already paid to have it replaced, have you discussed your concerns with the company that did the work?
Old 01-30-14, 06:39 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSTL
I'd take it to the dealer. They likely sub the work out to someone else but your contact would be the dealership and they should be more likely to make sure it is done correctly and correct any issues.

Since you already paid to have it replaced, have you discussed your concerns with the company that did the work?

Actually, I've been getting quotes from several places, but it seems like it is around 1500 for the front windshield. Safelite was like 500 which is a huge difference.

I thought Sewell was good, but they never called me back. Oh well.
Old 08-24-14, 04:20 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

We were on the Capitol Beltway today, and a rock came out of nowhere, one - hopped over the hood and smacked a divot in the windshield. It has radiating cracks 1" in all directions. It is low and on the passenger side of the windshield. The paint is chipped to the metal in a tiny sliver on the hood. I have GEICO Insurance. I have read from past threads to insist on Original Equipment Manufacturer (Lexus) glass. What a pain. Has anyone had any experience with GEICO and glass? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-24-14, 05:23 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Bummer on the windshield. What did you read in past threads? I have replaced several windshields over the years (not on my GX) and I don't think any of them were OEM. I never had a problem.
Old 08-24-14, 09:23 PM
Kitana
Driver

I had Geico replace my back window on my old Highlander that was completely shattered by a rock. Wish I paid out of pocket since my deductible was $250.00 and the repair was only $266.00 :/ I was thinking it would be closer to $500.00 and I did not ask if it was original Toyota parts. It is a pain but it could have been much worse. Now I know to first call around and get some quotes before handing it over to insurance.
Old 08-25-14, 06:13 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

I have heard that OEM glass is recommended on Lexus vehicles due to the thickness of the glass and noise in the cabin. I do not know if it's factual or not but if it were me I'd be getting OEM glass for sure.
Old 08-25-14, 08:24 AM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just quoted $2,241 parts and labor for the windshield from the Lexus Dealer for an original equipment windshield.
The following users liked this post:
User21c (05-26-17)
Old 08-25-14, 08:30 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpokeBroke
I was just quoted $2,241 parts and labor for the windshield from the Lexus Dealer for an original equipment windshield.
Ok, Call your insurance company, no fault claim, should have no effect on you, pay your deductible and have new glass.
Old 08-25-14, 08:59 AM
Kitana
Driver

Dang! Who manufacturers the glass? Waterford?? Better come etched with a dolphin or something on it.
Welcome to luxury car ownership.

Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements