Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

interior lights auto turn off

Old 07-12-14, 05:05 PM   #1
Hypersion
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default interior lights auto turn off

I bought my 11 GX460 a few months a go and I went out yesterday morning and it wouldn't start.. Of course I left the interior lights on and I drained the battery. Is there a setting somewhere that can automatically turns the interior light turn off after a set amount of time.

Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Hypersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 12:49 PM   #2
SaniDel
Lead Lap

That's a programmable setting you can access from your touchscreen. However, there isn't a setting to make them to stay on forever. Did you inadvertently 'bump' the switches by the sunglass case holder? I've done that fumbling for the HomeLink button to open the garage door.

Another possibility is that a door was left open. This has happened to us and when we went out the next day the lights were on and they were hot, but the GX started.
Regards,

SaniDel
SaniDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 05:14 PM   #3
JDSTL
Driver School Candidate

My 07 LS had a sticky driver door switch that would sometimes make the car think the door was still open. The headlights would stay on if using "auto" in the garage overnight and drain my battery. Something to look at as I agree that the lights shouldn't stay on unless a door is open or you have a bad switch like me.
JDSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 10:54 AM   #4
Hypersion
Driver School Candidate

I did leave the switch in the on position instead of in auto. I assumed they would still turn off after a set amount of time but i guess they stay on indefinitely.
Hypersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 11:37 AM   #5
SaniDel
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
I did leave the switch in the on position instead of in auto. I assumed they would still turn off after a set amount of time but i guess they stay on indefinitely.
I thought it was the interior lights that were left on rather than the headlights. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have realized that the interior lights won't drain the battery overnight, but the headlights certainly would!

Leaving the interior lights on could happen as easily as 'bumping' the lens of the reading lights in the overhead console. If a door is open and the interior lights are on, there's no way to tell that you bumped them, but they will stay on indefinitely after the doors are closed ... well, the one you bumped will stay on indefinitely. Likewise for not closing all the doors ... all interior lights will stay on indefinitely.

Leaving the headlight switch in the 'AUTO' position eliminates the risk of the headlights remaining on. Actually, I am surprised to learn that there is no "automatic override" when they are in the 'ON' position, but there is presumably a good reason ... such as in an emergency situation when the engine is off, but lighting is required regardless of battery drain.

We have learned that the less 'fidgeting' with the GX ... the better. Everything is left in its automatic mode ... HVAC, lights, wipers, etc. so all we do is press the 'Start' button, release the emergency brake, put it in gear and drive. Likewise when we come come home ... set the emergency brake, put it in Park and press the 'Start' button again.
Regards,

SaniDel
SaniDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 11:37 AM