GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 07:57 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've experienced the same thing. My 2014 GX is my first automatic transmission vehicle. I suppose it is just a normal part of the vehicle's behavior.

I am discovering a lot of quirks with the GX460, but I still like it. Nothing has been a deal-breaker so far. Thankfully this "surging" doesn't happen too often (although it happened to me this morning!).
Old 04-24-14, 03:31 AM
asr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission software updates

I recently bought a 2013 GX460 Premium with the standard 6 speed auto. It has 10,000km / 6,000 miles. I switched after over 10 years of BMWs and Porsches, and this is my first SUV

I experience some very slight jerkiness with the transmission -- particularly at low speeds, or on occasions where I slow down and then re-accelerate

Are there any software updates etc available for resolving such issues, or is this just symptomatic of this type of vehicle?
Old 04-24-14, 04:25 AM
asr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get that too. Maybe driving style needs to be adjusted accordingly
Old 04-25-14, 08:10 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes this seems to be happening to one GXs and does not happen to the others. I certainly have the same thing on mine. One thing that helped a lot in my case is lubricating the propeller shaft. That made it much better though did not eliminate the issue completely.
Old 04-25-14, 08:13 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

mine does same thing. feels like the transmission doesnt engage right away with engine. i highly doubt lexus dealer would know how to fix this. has to come from japan imho.
Old 04-25-14, 10:22 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

My 14" it only jerk when I shift from N to D, do you guys experiment with that problem too?
Old 05-13-14, 02:37 PM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the same clunk from backing out of a parking spot and shifting into D. I've had 2 software updates and it seems to take care of the problem for a week or 2. I've even had some issues while shifting into drive while on an extreme incline and the truck rolls back a foot or so before engaging the transmission. The engagement is a violent and noisy occasion. My truck is a base '10 w/ 52k on the clock.
Old 05-13-14, 03:44 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I noticed it on my 2010, but haven't experienced it on my 2014.
Old 07-06-14, 12:52 PM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission issue

We recently had an issue with our 2011 GX460. My wife first experienced the transmission not wanting to engage after being put in drive. Once it did engage there was a loud bang/pop noise, then no issues afterwards. The same thing happened to me this weekend. It was weird, like the brakes had frozen up then suddenly released and the transmission slammed into gear. Anyone have an issue like this?
We bought the vehicle used a couple months ago with 39k miles. With factory warranty remaining it will be heading to the dealer shortly but thought I'd check with you guys.
Old 07-06-14, 12:58 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

No, but I did have my brakes freeze up once this winter after I washed my car and parked it outside at the gym the next morning. My brake pads were frozen to the rotors. Sounds like a transmission problem for sure.
Old 07-06-14, 06:07 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe Craig's first diagnosis is correct.

Every time I take our 2010 GX 460 to the car wash AND bring it home immediately ... we're less than two miles away ... then park and set the emergency brake this happens the next morning. We believe the emergency brake surfaces are still wet from the car wash and overnight the surfaces stick, presumably due to chemical action between the pad and drum.

This happens so repeatedly after the car wash that I routinely engage the emergency brake on the last downhill before I get home to heat and dry the surfaces ... not a recommended practice, but it solves the problem. The emergency brake 'squeals' until it is hot and dry ... about 5 seconds ... then I know it is safe to park and engage the brake. Alternatively, if we run errands after the car wash, the brake dries by itself. Unfortunately, I prefer to bring the vehicle home immediately after the car wash, which exacerbates the problem!

What is amazing is how thoroughly this will 'ground' the vehicle. Before we solved this we had to 'rock' the vehicle as if we were stuck in snow ... not a good idea in a garage with only a few feet of space!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. This doesn't happened in rain or snow and we always engage the emergency brake when we park. We believe it is solely because of the high-pressure water jets at the car wash getting into where rain and snow don't go.
Old 07-08-14, 02:35 PM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

We've got an appointment on Friday, we'll see...
Old 07-08-14, 03:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer208S
We've got an appointment on Friday, we'll see...
Please give an update when you find an explanation. Many buyers with problems come here and don't follow up. I have wondered what this OP found?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-oil-cap.html
The following users liked this post:
mbdtex (11-09-23)
Old 07-13-14, 04:52 PM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

The local Lexus dealer could find nothing wrong. They said a thorough inspection had been performed and no codes came up on the computer. So, we'll see...
Old 07-14-14, 11:51 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer208S
The local Lexus dealer could find nothing wrong. They said a thorough inspection had been performed and no codes came up on the computer. So, we'll see...
Thanks for the report. We hear of problems, but we seldom hear their resolution ... or in this case ... non-resolution.

If this happens again, take note of what happened the day before. Was it raining, did you drive through water, did you go to the car wash and did you set the parking brake? The only time we have had this problem is when we go to the car wash, come home immediately, set the brake and park overnight. It is quite dramatic ... the GX strains and roars until the emergency brake releases with a bang!

Since it only occurs in this exact sequence (car wash, immediate park, set brake and leave overnight) it can't be demonstrated to our local dealer, therefore it can't be fixed! We are due for brake replacement this Fall so we will have them replace the emergency brake as well.

Until then I will continue to 'squeal' the emergency brake to dry it before parking for the night, but only after coming home immediately after the car wash!
Regards,

SaniDel

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues