Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Transmission issue

Old 07-14-14, 08:10 PM   #16
tecman
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadro View Post
I found that mine freezes whether I engage the parking brake or not. Now I either drive the vehicle after a car wash or, if I had to park right after, walk out to the vehicle 15 minutes later and move it couple feet forward and then back - that breaks ice that's just beginning to form and avoids the issue.
Ice is out of the equation in the last few posts
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 07-15-14, 04:39 AM   #17
Randy B
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniDel View Post
Thanks for your explanation and the diagram, Randy! Just to be clear ... what you call 'freezing' is not due to cold, but rather to something probably chemical (rust?) between the wet shoes and the plate assembly. Our GX 'sleeps' in a conditioned and insulated garage between two townhouses so it only gets cool or warm, but never close to freezing.
Regards,
Sanidel,
I have no clue if its not freezing temps where you park. I thought I had read in the past that this only occurs to you during the winter. That being said, I have not experienced anything like what you have described on any vehicle. However, my ambient temperature does not quite reach low numbers for sustainable hours like yours does.

Either way, now you have an idea of how the parking brake works. Regarding your comment on slack in the drivetrain. I believe if you actually measured the movement of your wheel by using chalk, you would see that the GX barely travels an inch when moved from drive into park and then release of the brake pedal. Even on an incline. Watching the body roll and bounce is much more drastic than the actual wheel turn on the ground. I am not a fan of loading the transmission with pressure (weight) when parking on an incline. I solely use the parking brake when I go to park on an incline and engage it after placing the vehicle in neutral. Upon start, I place the vehicle in reverse or drive and then release the brake. For nominal inclines and or flat spaces, I never use the parking brake.

Randy B
Old 07-15-14, 07:16 AM   #18
Quadro
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecman View Post
Ice is out of the equation in the last few posts
All I can tell is my particular issue only happens during winter and only if I park the car right after a car wash. So ice is definitely involved in my case. My case might be different though.
Quadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:20 AM   #19
Quadro
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
However, my ambient temperature does not quite reach low numbers for sustainable hours like yours does.
Of course you're in Florida... what did you expect :-) For me it only becomes an issue when it gets below -4F (-20C), my theory is the water freezes fast enough before it have a chance to run off the parts.

And yes I had the same issue on other cars too.
Quadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:23 AM   #20
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer208S View Post
We recently had an issue with our 2011 GX460. My wife first experienced the transmission not wanting to engage after being put in drive. Once it did engage there was a loud bang/pop noise, then no issues afterwards. The same thing happened to me this weekend. It was weird, like the brakes had frozen up then suddenly released and the transmission slammed into gear. Anyone have an issue like this?
We bought the vehicle used a couple months ago with 39k miles. With factory warranty remaining it will be heading to the dealer shortly but thought I'd check with you guys.
I'll add to my original post. I had washed the truck on a Thursday, pulled it into the garage, and was trying to pull out of the garage on a Saturday when we had this occurence. The parking brake was never applied and the temperatures were well above 70 deg.
Hammer208S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 02:32 PM   #21
SaniDel
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer208S View Post
I'll add to my original post. I had washed the truck on a Thursday, pulled it into the garage, and was trying to pull out of the garage on a Saturday when we had this occurence. The parking brake was never applied and the temperatures were well above 70 deg.
This would seem to support the premise that your main brakes are 'sticking' due to close tolerances between the pads and the rotors. Either that or the emergency brake on a new vehicle is adjusted too tight and is 'dragging' slightly so it will stick when wet.

Regardless, it seems the culprit is water ... specifically, parking a wet vehicle without drying the brakes(s). The main brakes probably dry very quickly simply by stopping the vehicle ... momentum is turned into heat, which drys the pads. If I understand correctly, you washed the vehicle, did NOT drive it and returned it to the garage ... presumably with wet brake pads.
Regards,

SaniDel
SaniDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 05:25 PM   #22
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

We washed the GX on Saturday and left it parked in the garage until today. My wife said when she pulled it out of the garage that it made the loud banging noise after shifting into reverse. It hadn't been driven since being washed 2 days prior. I wonder if the brakes are getting a little corrosion rather quickly.
Old 07-21-14, 05:40 PM   #23
SaniDel
Lead Lap

It could be as simple as rust forming between the pads and rotors. My understanding is that disc brakes are "self-cleaning" ... normal brake use keeps the rotors bright and shiny as we can easily see between the wheel spokes. Parking a wet vehicle with water trapped between the pads and the rotors seems to be the culprit.

P.S. I only wash our vehicle at a car wash with high-pressure jets of water from all sides, but it sounds like you washed your GX by hand and had the same problem. Presumably, you washed it in your driveway, then drove it only 20 - 30 feet into the garage. There wasn't enough heat caused by friction to dry the brakes.
Old 07-21-14, 10:07 PM   #24
bradtopp
Driver

I hand wash my GX every weekend in my driveway spring through fall. I wash it every weekend at the high pressure car wash during the winter.

When washing in my driveway I wash the wheels and the car thoroughly, dry the vehicle, condition the tires, and back it 25 feet into the garage. Never had the issue you are describing.

During winter after visiting the car wash I drive the vehicle home immediately (about 1/10th of a mile) at 30 mph or less and back into the garage. Never had the issue you are describing.

If you truly suspect water is causing the issue then ride the brakes for a 10 seconds at a slow speed on your drive home or after you wash the vehicle. That will be enough to essentially dry off the brakes.

Last edited by bradtopp; 07-22-14 at 06:55 PM..
bradtopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 11:18 PM   #25
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver

ive worked on cars for years, and never have seen a brake pad get stuck on the raw metal of the rotor. Can someone explain how a semi metallic or ceramic or composite pad gets stuck to metal? They are not made of the same material rendering adhesion quite difficult.
The rear brakes have a drum and pads inside that are the parking brakes. It is likely the springs and hardware rust making the pad difficult to release away from the drum, but the pad itself should never get stuck on the metal...

2014 GX 460 Luxury - Starfire Pearl - Sepia - Driver support.

Last edited by T4Fun; 07-21-14 at 11:22 PM..
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 04:42 AM   #26
bradtopp
Driver

In my case it is a must to wash the car to rinse away winter road salt. Since I would never use an automatic car wash that physically touches my vehicle a high pressure, touchless wash is my only option in winter months. I've never seen an automatic, low pressure car wash .

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Fun View Post
ive worked on cars for years, and never have seen a brake pad get stuck on the raw metal of the rotor. Can someone explain how a semi metallic or ceramic or composite pad gets stuck to metal? They are not made of the same material rendering adhesion quite difficult.
The rear brakes have a drum and pads inside that are the parking brakes. It is likely the springs and hardware rust making the pad difficult to release away from the drum, but the pad itself should never get stuck on the metal...
bradtopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 12:40 PM   #27
SaniDel
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Fun View Post
If it is just rust on the springs and hardware it should be easy to fix ... spray those parts with a suitable rust inhibitor and lubricant, but don't get any on the braking parts. What is happening when I "drag the brake" on the way home from the car wash to prevent this from happening? I had assumed the heat would dry the brakes, but if it isn't the brakes than why is brake dragging effective at preventing this?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-03-14, 08:14 AM   #28
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

I haven't had a chance to write again lately but we had another incident with the transmission. My wife started the GX and when putting it into reverse it made this loud noise again, with the brake depressed. The truck hadn't been wet for over a week prior and driven daily leading up to this. I'll call the dealer, get it in again and see what they find.
Old 08-03-14, 08:40 AM   #29
SaniDel
Lead Lap

If the truck hasn't been wet lately and is driven daily, this does not sound like a problem caused by the brakes sticking. You are doing the right thing by taking it into the dealer although this may be a hard problem to replicate as it happens so infrequently.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. The problem I have with wet brakes sticking is so predictable that I've decided to sidestep the problem. On those days that I have the GX washed and bring it home immediately I force myself to overcome 50 years of habit and do NOT engage the emergency brake, relying instead on the transmission in Park.
Old 08-03-14, 08:40 AM