GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

ECO Mode & Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 09:55 PM
LexusLuvrz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eco light and XM Nav Traffic & Weather

We just purchased our 2011 GX460 before Christmas and are LOVING it!!!!! We couldn't be happier with the vehicle. We looked at many other vehicles before purchasing and decided that this had everything we wanted all in one.

So far there are only 2 things that we are wondering:

How do we get the Eco light to show on the instrument panel?

And, we live in a major city, so why doesn't our free XM subscription come with the nav traffic and weather?

The weather option worked the first day we received the vehicle, but hasn't worked since. When I called XM to ask them to fix it, they said that isn't in the package and that we only have XM Everything for the music. I'm definitely not complaining about the free music or that I don't have the traffic and weather, I'm just wondering if everyone didn't get this or if we're the only ones? (The lady at customer service also told me that we have a 2 year free subscription so I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about...) The main reason I would like for us to have the trial for the traffic and weather is because if we like it and it's helpful enough we might end up keeping it after the trial. I just think it's weird that the car would come with all of these features and us not get a free trial for those 2 things when we have the XM music, XM stocks and XM sports.
Old 01-07-11, 10:48 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your first question: on the right hand side of the steering wheel, press and hold the menu button until the info display in the gauge cluster shows the settings; if you don't see the eco indicator setting right away (mine does), use the toggle switch on the steering to flip through the settings. When you do see the eco indicator press and toggle switch to turn the setting either on of off. After you're done the display will say something like "saving please wait..." Push the menu button again the the display will go back to whatever you had it beforehand.

As for your second question, sorry I live in Canada so there's no XM Weather here, and the NavTraffic only shows outdated notices with NO real-time traffic flow information.
Old 01-08-11, 10:01 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

It only comes with a three month trial subscription. Call your dealer and ask why your weather and traffic isn't working. You should have XM everything for a three month trial
period.
Old 01-08-11, 07:15 PM
LexusLuvrz
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus today and they said that we are suppose to have the traffic and weather. They contacted XM for me to have them send out a signal so now the weather is working, but the traffic isn't. I guess I'll just have to take the car up to the dealership to see what they can do when I get a second.

akfd - While I was in the car testing out the weather I turned the Eco indicator on. It was exactly where you said it was. Thanks!!!
Old 01-09-11, 07:43 AM
Craig B

The nav traffic only works in large cities. You also have to program a destination into the nav for it to work. That's the way it works on my LS 460. I don't live in a large city, so it only works in St. Louis or Kansas City for me. Not sure if you live in a large city?
Old 01-10-11, 11:44 PM
CalMike
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusLuvrz
We just purchased our 2011 GX460 before Christmas and are LOVING it!!!!! We couldn't be happier with the vehicle. We looked at many other vehicles before purchasing and decided that this had everything we wanted all in one.

So far there are only 2 things that we are wondering:

How do we get the Eco light to show on the instrument panel?

And, we live in a major city, so why doesn't our free XM subscription come with the nav traffic and weather?

The weather option worked the first day we received the vehicle, but hasn't worked since. When I called XM to ask them to fix it, they said that isn't in the package and that we only have XM Everything for the music. I'm definitely not complaining about the free music or that I don't have the traffic and weather, I'm just wondering if everyone didn't get this or if we're the only ones? (The lady at customer service also told me that we have a 2 year free subscription so I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about...) The main reason I would like for us to have the trial for the traffic and weather is because if we like it and it's helpful enough we might end up keeping it after the trial. I just think it's weird that the car would come with all of these features and us not get a free trial for those 2 things when we have the XM music, XM stocks and XM sports.
I picked up my 2011 IS350 less than two weeks ago and have been having similar issues with the XM NavTraffic and Weather. All 2011 Lexus vehicles equipped with XM are supposed to come with NavTraffic and Weather, but it seems there is a glitch that involves having XM Everything/Best of Sirius coupled with the NavTraffic and Weather services. Since the day after I got the car, I've spoken with no less than ten different customer service agents at call centers in India, each exhibiting varying degrees of incompetence. Each time they fixed the Weather service, I lost some of my XM channels, notably Howard Stern, and vice-versa. I finally got wise and tried to locate a number for their corporate offices, which I found and called today. That office is in Nova Scotia and you can connect to it at (866) 610-6195. At the menu prompt, press option 3 (the option for returning a call from a customer service agent), and you'll be connected to someone who actually has a clue. Do not press 0, or you'll go directly back to India. The Canadians proved much more helpful than the standard customer service, and their names are not fictitious either. Bob, Frankie, Jonathan, Mary, and other Anglo-type names are not the most popular names in India, so I guess it must simply be a huge coincidence that all the customer service agents in India have those names. The folks in Nova Scotia also didn't add insult to injury by telling me that I had been randomly selected to receive a discount on a portable radio; against all odds I had been randomly selected at the end of each call when I was connected to India -- wow, with that kind of luck you'd think they could somehow get the service correct for me. But no. In case you can't tell, I'm not a fan of the outsourced customer service.

Anyway, as big of an improvement as XM's corporate customer service was today over the generic Indian call center debacle, the kind Nova Scotians still weren't able to resolve the problem for me, at least not yet. The rep was himself totally perplexed and frustrated by the whole ordeal. He assured me that he or the other woman I spoke with there will be personally contacting me tomorrow with information about how this will be resolved. Maybe they'll get a team of engineers on it. Should I be holding my breath? To be totally fair, my situation was slightly complicated since I needed them to shut off the subscription from my last car and transfer/credit the account to my new one. Really though, that shouldn't be so difficult and there's no excuse for the hours of customer service I've had to deal with so far. Just for others eager to partake and share in my frustration, here's an excerpt of one of my phone conversations with an Indian woman who said her name was Kelly, in which I made the critical error of inquiring about adding on the $2.99/month XM Premium Online service so I could listen on my computer and phone. Mind you, I had already wasted over twenty minutes on the phone with this woman in a fruitless attempt to straighten out the situation with the radio in my car:

Me: Okay so since you've refreshed the signal, the XM radio in my new car will work now?
Customer Service: Yes sir, we have sent the signal to your XM radio and it will work.
Me: Thank you. I was also curious about adding the XM Premium Online service to my account.
Customer Service: Do you already have XM radio sir?
Me: Yes I have an XM radio, we've been discussing it for the last twenty minutes.
Customer Service: OK sir, I see and would be happy to assist you with that.

No joke, that is seriously what she asked me after over twenty minutes of this nonsense. If it weren't for Howard Stern and the NavTraffic, I would tell them to take the trial subscription and whatever credit my account still has and shove it. Hopefully, the corporate office gets back to me tomorrow and resolves everything once and for all.

Last edited by CalMike; 01-11-11 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-11-11, 04:41 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I wonder if it is a glitch in the nav system. At one point I have noticed that only XM radio worked on my 2011 GX and XM stock, weather didn't work. That week I have installed HID kit. During the process I had to disconnect my battery. After reconnecting the battery, the system was reset and everything started to work again.

I would try to disconnect the + battery connection and wait 15 minutes and connect it again. Maybe it will work for you too.
Old 02-20-11, 06:31 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Eco light doesn’t light up

Never mind, figure it out.

Last edited by deusex; 02-20-11 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-18-14, 10:34 PM
chrisliuw
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb 2014 gx460 eco

I have tested ECO on GX460, not sure how it works. Dealer said it is just a display to help driver to push gas pedal gently, will not make any difference to turn ECO on or off. However, by searching internet about Lexus ECO, someone indicated it does save gas by adjusting throttle angle, as well as climate control.
There is no detailed information about ECO in the manual.
Old 06-18-14, 11:12 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope it's just a light that lets you know if you're driving too aggressively. 100% sure. It aggravated me and I was so happy when I turned it off.
Old 06-19-14, 06:34 AM
NoDak
Driver School Candidate

well I hope its not like the eco setting in the daughters 2014 rav4.

eco mode changes the throttle input and other settings, to the point that you cant do jack rabbit starts (which would be great in winter time).

once you turn off eco mode button the gas pedal goes back to normal. there is also a sport mode button but haven't read/tried it out yet.

I can see lexus implementing this to help raise its mpg rating on this vehicle to help its overall café rating.
Old 06-19-14, 06:44 AM
chrisliuw
Driver School Candidate

Will go dealership to install cross bar today, will confirm with them and update.
Old 06-19-14, 02:55 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Did not know you could turn it off! Can you do that on a '13? Details please!
Old 06-19-14, 03:23 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Herd72
Did not know you could turn it off! Can you do that on a '13? Details please!
Steering wheel controls.
Old 06-19-14, 04:59 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Steering wheel controls.
+1, you can turn it on or off through steering wheel buttons. I leave mine on...

Quick Reply: ECO Mode & Light